China P. Arnold
Arnold, who had been convicted of abduction in 2000 and forgery in 2002, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on 8 September 2008 for killing her 28-day-old daughter, Paris. The infant was placed in a microwave oven for what analysts suspect was longer than 2 minutes and died shortly after removal. Death occurred because her internal temperature became critical. In the words of medical examiner, Dr. Marcella Fierro, "she was cooked."
At the time, Arnold lived with her children and her boyfriend, Terrell Talley, in a housing complex. Prosecutors said that she placed Paris into the microwave after an argument with Talley over the baby's paternity; she told investigators that she was intoxicated. Arnold took Paris to the hospital the next day, where she died of her injuries. Arnold was arrested initially, then released due to lack of evidence. She was re-arrested in November 2006.
Shortly after Arnold's first trial began, Talley told the Dayton Daily News that his son told him that he pulled the baby's lifeless body out of the microwave after a neighbor's boy had put her in there; the claim resulted in a mistrial. However, at the second trial, the mother of the boy in question established that he was not at the housing complex when Paris died, and Arnold was convicted of aggravated murder.
On 5 November 2010, the Second District Court of Appeals reversed Arnold's conviction, citing misconduct by prosecutors and that the court erred by not allowing material witnesses to testify in Arnold's defense.
On 13 May 2011, a jury found Arnold guilty of aggravated murder. Her attorney had argued that the evidence pointed as much to Talley as it did Arnold, to no avail.
Arnold has been incarcerated at the Ohio Reformatory for Women since 11 September 2008.
On May 20, 2011, Arnold was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Her attorney says they will appeal the decision.
- "Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction Offender Page 3 March 2010
- "Mother arraigned in baby's microwave death" The Associated Press via MSNBC.com 3 March 2010
- "Mother Jailed Over Microwave Baby" news.sky.com
- Cops Suspect Microwave Was Murder Weapon CBS News
- "Drunken mom microwaved one-month-old baby" New York Daily News 3 March 2010
- "Cops Suspect Microwave Was Murder Weapon" cbsnews.com Nov. 28, 2006
- "DDN: New Witness Tells Father Who Put Child In Microwave" WHIOTV.com 3 March 2010
- "China Arnold Stands Trial Again in Microwave Baby Death Case" Dayton Daily News 3 March 2010
- Life for microwave baby killer BBC, September 9, 2008
- "Appeals Court Grants New Trial for China Arnold" WDTN 14 May 2011
- "Jury Convicts Ohio Mom in Baby's Microwave Death" The Associated Press via Yahoo! 14 May 2011
- "Jury Recommends Life Without Parole for China Arnold" Dayton Daily News 20 May 2011