Chinese people in Ethiopia
|Regions with significant populations|
|Related ethnic groups|
The number of Chinese residents in Ethiopia has risen considerably in the past decade.
 Integration and community
A landmark incident in Chinese perceptions of Ethiopia was the 2007 Abole oil field raid in which 74 workers including 9 from China were killed. The rebels in the attack claimed that the target was the Ethiopian military and the Chinese were killed in explosions during the fighting. Howard French of The New York Times called the incident part of the learning curve for Chinese in understanding the risks of interaction in Africa but not a setback that would deter the Chinese from realizing that Africa would be "the stage where China's image as a global actor of the first rank will be forged."
Also in 2007, the first 300 volunteers selected from among 10,000 applicants to a new Chinese government programme arrived in Ethiopia, Seychelles, and Zimbabwe. They would perform a variety of work including teaching Chinese, introducing hospital staff to traditional Chinese medicine, and aiding in poultry farming.
Like in many African countries, the Chinese are seen as keeping to themselves. In 2007, another New York Times report by Howard French on Chinese in Ethiopia noted the "clannish" social interaction of Chinese by citing a communal compound of 200 Chinese workers for Road and Bridge Construction (a Chinese construction company) who ate Chinese food, got health care from a Chinese doctor, and did not interact with outsiders.
The Chinese Chamber of Commerce in Ethiopia (埃塞俄比亚中国商会) was established in April 2008 in Addis Ababa.
- French, Howard W.; Polgreen, Lydia (2007-08-18), "Entrepreneurs From China Flourish in Africa", The New York Times, retrieved 2011-10-08
- Gettleman, Jeffrey (2007-04-25), "Ethiopian Rebels Kill 70 at Chinese-Run Oil Field", The New York Times, retrieved 2011-10-08
- French, Howard W. (2007-05-02), "Letter from Ethiopia: China's risky venture into resource-rich Africa", The New York Times, retrieved 2011-10-08
- Harmann, Danna (2007-06-27), "Young Chinese idealists vie to join their 'peace corps' in Africa", The Christian Science Monitor, retrieved 2011-10-08
- "武汉青年在埃塞俄比亚：发短信找大树当天线 (Wuhan youth in Ethiopia: Sending out an SMS to look for a big tree for an antenna)", Xinhua News, 2007-10-30, retrieved 2011-10-08
- "埃塞俄比亚中国商会成立 (Chinese Chamber of Commerce in Ethiopia established)", Shanghai Jinrong Bao, 2008-04-09, retrieved 2011-10-08