||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (April 2012)|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2012)|
October 31, 1960 |
Orange, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Occupation||Author and Founder, Joie de Vivre Hospitality|
Chip Conley (born 1960, Orange, California) is an American hotelier, author, and speaker. Conley is the founder  of Joie de Vivre Hospitality, which he began in 1987 at age 26. In 2010, after growing Joie de Vivre’s collection of boutique hotels to more than 30 properties in California, Conley transitioned from CEO to Executive Chairman and Chief Creative Officer when Geolo Capital purchased a majority stake of the company.
In 2011, Conley and Joie de Vivre learned that Market Metrix awarded the company the #1 customer service award in the U.S. in the Upper Upscale hotel category for 2010, beating out Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin, Kimpton and Peninsula hotels.
In October 2011, Joie de Vivre and Thompson Hotels merged, and the two brands now sit under the newly created parent company, Commune Hotels & Resorts. Chip Conley retained an equity stake in the new company and remains involved as a strategic advisor.
In 2010, Conley was invited to speak at the annual TED conference. His speech addressed creating a business model driven by our need for meaning as outlined by Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs and as presented in his book Peak: How Great Companies Get their Mojo from Maslow. Conley’s other books on entrepreneurship include The Rebel Rules: Daring to Be Yourself in Business; Marketing that Matters: 10 Practices to Profit Your Business and Change the World; and the forthcoming Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness and Success (January 2012).
Conley has been honored by the San Francisco Business Times as the “Most Innovative CEO” in the Bay Area. He is the founder of San Francisco’s annual Celebrity Pool Toss fundraiser, which has raised more than $4 million for inner city families in San Francisco’s Tenderloin District, where his first hotel, the Phoenix, is located.
- The Rebel Rules: Daring to be Yourself in Business (Simon & Schuster, 2001)
- Marketing that Matters: 10 Practices to Profit Your Business and Change the World (co-authored with Eric Friedenwald-Fishman Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2006)
- Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo From Maslow (Jossey-Bass, 2007)
- Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness and Success (Simon & Schuster, 2012)
- In 2008, the California Lodging Industry Association recognized Joie de Vivre Hospitality and Conley with Outstanding Lodging Property and Chairman's Awards.
- Joie de Vivre was awarded the 2nd Best Place to Work in the San Francisco Bay Area by the San Francisco Business Times.
- Guerrilla Marketer of the Year
- Emerging Growth Company of the Year
- National Humanitarian Hospitality Company of the Year
- Northern California Real Estate Entrepreneur of the Year
- E-Marketer of the World
- In 2007, Conley was named the Bay Area's Most Innovative CEO by the San Francisco Business Times.
- In 2008, Conley was selected as one of four finalists for the 2008 "Corporate Hotelier of World" award by Hotels magazine.
- "Chip Conley: Boosting Business Relationships and Company Culture", TEDx Presidio
- “Hyatt Heir Checks Back Into Hotel Industry”, Wall Street Journal June 7, 2010
- Chip Conley: Measuring what makes life worthwhile TED talk filmed Feb 2010, posted Jun 2010
- "Joie De Vivre Hotels Wins Top Customer Satisfaction Ranking For 2010", Vocus/PR Web, March 7, 2011
- “C-E-Know-How” TIME Magazine, Sep. 27, 2007
- "On the Record: Chip Conley" San Francisco Chronicle, August 7, 2005
- "CHRONICLE VIDEO Interview: Chip Conley" San Francisco Chronicle, August 7, 2005
- “Get Back in the Box” Fast Company, December 2007
- "Emotional managing, even for the emotionless" The Long Tail blog, Wired magazine, October 28, 2007
- “Weathering the Perfect Storm” Fast Company, July 2004
- “Fast Talk: The Innovation Conversation” Fast Company, June 2001
- "Entrepreneur finds 'suite' dreams in hotels" Business 2.0 Magazine, March 27, 2007
- “The Idea That Saved My Company” Inc., October 2007
- “Title Creep: the Chief Revenue Officer” Inc., March 2008
- "Learning Curve" Hotels Magazine, May 6, 2008
- "Conley Ponders Journey To 'Peak'" Hotels Magazine, Aug 1, 2007
- Groups Help Gay Entrepreneurs Build A Network NYT article on his role as a member of the Board of Advisors of StartOut, May 20, 2010
- Dedicated Hall of Fame page for Chip Conley
- Joie de Vivre Hotels
- Peak Organizations
- Emotional Equations
- 33voices interview with Chip Conley
- Chip Conley TED talks