University of Chittagong
|University of Chittagong|
Seal of the University of Chittagong
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Anwarul Azim Arif|
|Campus||Rural, 1,754 acres (7.10 km2)|
|Affiliations||Association of Commonwealth Universities|
The University of Chittagong (Chittagong University, CU, Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a public university situated in the suburban area of Hathazari, Chittagong district, Bangladesh. The university was established in 1966. The campus is 22 km north of Chittagong city. The University of Chittagong is surrounded by hills, and bisected by a small stream which made this university a famous tourist spot across the country. It is a multidisciplinary research university. The university ranks among the top public and private universities of Bangladesh. Currently, it is the third largest University in Bangladesh with more than 20,000 students and about 800 faculty members.
Dr. Muhammad Yunus, who used to be a faculty member of this university and who is the founder of Grameen Bank, the pioneering figure in microcredit theory of Economics, and the 2006 winner of Nobel Peace Prize, started his first microcredit experiments in the neighbouring village of Zobra.
|University of Chittagong at a glance|
|Inauguration||18 November 1966|
|Location||Zobra village, Hathajari upajila, Chittgong
22 kilometer from Chittagong city
|Area||1,754-acre (7.10 km2)|
|Undergrad||BA, MA, BSc, MSc, MS, BBA, MBA, LLB, LLM, BSS, MSS, M.B.B.S.|
|Postgrad||M.Phil., Ph.D., M.D., M.P.H|
|Types||Male:6, Female:3, Coed:1|
|Other Staff||Officer:296, 3rd Class Staff:478, 4th Class Staff:1180|
On 3 December 1965, Professor A R Mallick (1918–97), as project director, began the work of founding the Chittagong University with only three employees, one typewriter, and a photocopier in a house in Chittagong City. The Chittagong University Ordinance was enacted on 25 September 1966 and Professor Mallick was given the charge of Vice Chancellor that same day, a role which he assumed on 9 October 1966.
The university began teaching on 28 November with Master of Arts programme classes for 200 students in the departments of Bengali, English, history and economics under the faculty of arts. Medical, engineering, law, and education colleges outside the university were later incorporated as separate faculties.
The Chittagong University Library is situated in the University Campus. In 1990, the library was moved to its own building. At present, the total floor area of the library is 56,700 sq ft. The library is managed by the Library Committee consisting of 14 members. At present, the library collection consists of about 350,000 volumes of books and over 40,000 bound volumes of journals.
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, Theoretical Physicist and Mathematician. Ex-Professor, Mathematics Department. Ex-Professor Emeritus and founding Director of Research Center for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (RCMPS).
- Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace. Former professor of Economics Department, initiated his project on micro credit in the adjacent area, Jobra.
Honorary Doctorate Holders
- Doctor of Science in 1981, Abdus Salam, Winner, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1979
- Doctor of Science in 2008, Jamal Nazrul Islam, Eminent Physicist, Mathematician, Astronomer, Cosmologist
- Education in Bangladesh
- List of universities in Bangladesh
- Dhaka University
- Rajshahi University
- Jahangirnagar University
- "Details of the University of Chittagong". University of Chittagong. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Official website
- Department of Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology
- Society for Leadership Proliferation
- Department of Marketing Studies & International Marketing