Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology
|Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology|
|চট্টগ্রাম প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Established||1968: Engineering College, Chittagong
1986: Bangladesh Institute of Technology, Chittagong
2003: Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Md. Jahangir Alam|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Md. Rafiqul Alam|
|Location||22° 27′ 43.50″ N, 91° 58′ 22.60″ E
Raozan, Chittagong, Bangladesh
|Campus||Sub-urban, 163 acres (0.66 km2)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission, Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh|
Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Transliteration: Chottogram Prokoushol O Projukti Bishshobiddalôe) commonly referred to as CUET (Bengali: চুয়েট) is renowned as one of the most prominent public engineering universities of Bangladesh. It is located in Chittagong, the second largest city of the country. The university maintains a special emphasis on the engineering and technological education and research.
The university offers degrees in engineering disciplines in undergraduate and post-graduate levels and also conducts research and provides degrees in basic sciences in post-graduate level. There are eleven academic departments under five faculties emphasizing teaching and research of Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Planning. The mission of the university is "to educate students in the field of engineering and applied sciences and to contribute to the advancement of knowledge that will best serve the nation and the world as well". It was founded in 1968 as Engineering College, Chittagong which was converted into Bangladesh Institute of Technology, Chittagong in 1986 and the institution got its present university status in 2003.
Every year, about 640 students get enrolled here in undergraduate programs through a competitive admission test. Only about top 10% students can get admitted among the 7,000 candidates selected to sit for the admission test.
For the first time in Bangladesh, this university arranged a Robotics competition called ROBORACE and successfully finished it on 23 December 2011. Teams from different universities of Bangladesh participated in the competition with their Robots.
The university undertakes research works sponsored by local industries and national/international organizations, such as United Nations organizations, Commonwealth Foundation, University Grants Commission, Bangladesh Power Development Board, Bangladesh Road & Transport Corporation, Chittagong Development Authority, Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Limited etc.
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Campus
- 4 Academic programs
- 5 International Collaborations
- 6 Administration
- 7 Academic calendar
- 8 Medium of instruction
- 9 Admissions
- 10 Expenses
- 11 ICT incubator
- 12 Engineering Laboratories
- 13 Halls of residence
- 14 Student organizations
- 15 Affiliated institutes and centers
- 16 First convocation
- 17 Second Convocation
- 18 Events and achievements
- 19 Gallery
- 20 See also
- 21 References
- 22 External links
CUET is situated in the district of Chittagong, the major seaport and second largest city of the country. It is in the Pahartali union under Raozan upazilla, by the north side of the Chittagong-Kaptai road about 25 kilometers from the center of Chittagong City. The 420 Megawatt Raozan Thermal Power Plant is situated just beside the campus. Karnaphuli Hydroelectric Power Station, the largest source of hydroelectricity of the country, is situated in Kaptai, about 25 kilometers from CUET.
To meet the increasing demand of professional engineers for the national development, the National Economic Council of the Government of Pakistan decided to establish The Engineering College, Chittagong on August 28, 1962. The Engineering College, Chittagong, started functioning on December 28, 1968 by admitting 120 students in its first academic session under the faculty of Engineering, University of Chittagong. On 1 July 1986, through a Government Ordinance (No. XXI, 1986) the college was converted into an autonomous institution called Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT), Chittagong. There were three other similar BITs in Khulna, Rajshahi and Dhaka. The President of Bangladesh was the visitor of these institutes. A Board of Governors headed by a Chairman appointed by the President was the policy making and administrative authority which had its head office at Tejgaon, Dhaka. Though the BIT, Chittagong was said to be an autonomous institution there were various complexity in the administration, control, budget, admission, development and other processes of the institution. On September 1, 2003 it was a historic moment when the BIT, Chittagong was converted into a fully autonomous public university & named Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology or CUET for short, after the teachers and students of BIT, Chittagong started huge movement demanding university status for all four BITs. The honorable President of Bangladesh is the Chancellor of the University. BIT, Khulna; BIT, Rajshahi and BIT, Dhaka have been converted to Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET), Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET), and Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology (DUET) respectively.
Now the university is a fully autonomous statutory organization of the Government of Bangladesh which awards degrees itself to the graduates. There are various statutory bodies like Syndicate, Academic Council, Finance Committee, Planning and Development Committee, Academic Committees, etc. for policy and decision-making on aspects of the university under the framework of the Act.
The university campus covers an area of 163 acres. The campus of CUET is remarkable for its natural beauty, it is landscaped around a valley with hilly areas, plants and precious varieties making the campus a natural arboretum. Facilities include academic buildings, administration building, auditorium, library, computer center, workshop, research laboratories, halls of residence, teachers' quarter, canteens and central mosque. The university has inside its boundaries a bank, a post office, three canteens, a DRMASS telephone exchange, two card-phone booths, a PABX, a phone and fax caterer, a large auditorium, two galleries for holding conference, a central mosque having a floor area of 560 square meters, and two mini-mart for general needs.
The University Medical Center is equipped for primary care but serious cases are referred to a local hospital 10 kilometers away or to the city hospital.
The university runs its own regular bus service to and from the city for benefit of the students residing there, every alternate day. Friday and Saturday are weekly holidays.Two BRTC bus of CUET also ply to and from the city. All kinds of mechanized transport ply between Kaptai and the city.
Sports and entertainment
The university provides facilities for football, hockey, cricket, volleyball, basketball, table tennis etc. The students play tennis, badminton and other games as well. Sports meets and games competitions are features of campus life. The students arrange debate, cultural show, indoor games competition etc.
The library stands in the center of CUET campus. The ground floor of the library is dedicated for individual study and group discussion. Multiple copies of text books are available at the counter. The library has more than 48,000 books and thousands of journals and periodicals in its collection. Approximately 200 students can use these facilities at a time. The daily newspaper and monthly magazines are also available.
Students can download international journals free by using the IP of the university through the wi-fi or the computers of the library. There are 60 study positions for researchers, faculty members and post-graduate students on the first floor.
Construction Work of a new five story library has started and about to complete within few month. 
- The Degrees that are offered by various departments of the university are given below
|Name of Faculties||Deans||Departments||Heads||Abbrev.||Degrees offered|
Electrical & Computer Engineering
|Dr. Muhammad Ibrahim Khan||
Dr. Mahmud Abdul Matin Bhuiyan
B.Sc Eng, M.Sc, Ph.D
|Dr. Md. Saiful Islam||
Dr. Md. Rabiul Alam
B.Sc Eng, M.Sc, Ph.D
|Dr. Md. Tazul Islam||
Dr. Bodius Salam
B.Sc Eng, M.Sc, Ph.D
Architecture & Planning
|Dr. Swapan Kuman Palit||
Sultan Md. Faruk
Engineering & Technology
|Dr. Md. Abdur Rashid||
Dr. Faruque-Uz-Zaman Chowdhury
The university have developed research links, partnership and collaboration programs with the following international institutions for finding optimum technological solutions of problems and promote higher education.
- University of Kassel, Germany
- University of Stuttgart, Germany
- University of Ulsan, Korea
- Yamagata University, Japan
- Saga University, Japan
- Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
- University of Tokyo, Japan
- Columbia University, USA
- Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
- Saitama University, Japan
- University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Andhra University, India
The department of Computer Science and Engineering,CUET have also joined with the International Forum of Strategic Technology(IFOST)), a forum of 11 universities from 8 countries and The Department of civil Engineering,CUET is holding post graduate program collaborating with South East Asia Network for Disaster & Environmental Engineering(SEAN DEE). Moreover, the university started program with joint collaboration with the UNESCO-IHE, Netherlands for the project of Capacity Devolopment of Integrated Water Resource Managementfor covering post graduation course at cuet. The Department of civil Engineering,CUET and Center For Affordable Water and Sanitation Technology(CAWST),Calgary,Alberta, Canada agreed to support each other in order to conduct workshops and research. Collaboration between The Department of civil Engineering,CUET and Comprehensive Disaster Management Program(CDMP). Collaboration between Department of Civil Engineering, CUETand Asian Disaster Preparedness Center(ADPC). The Earthquake Engineering Research Center of CUET started joint collaboration and research programs with the Institute of Earthquake Engineering & Engineering Seismology (IZIIS) of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Macedonia. 
- Professor Dr. Md. Jahangir Alam
- Professor Md Rafiqul Alam
Councils & Committees
- Academic Council
- Finance Committee
- P & D Committee
- Registrar – Md. Shafiqul Islam.
- Director, Planning & Development – Prof. Dr. Md. Saiful Islam.
- Controller of the Examination – Dr. Chowdhury M. Saiful Islam.
- Comptroller – Md. Masudur Rahman
- Chief Medical Officer – Dr. Md. Yusuf Miah
- Chief Engineer – Engr. Md. Serajul Islam
- Librarian – Md. Abul Hossain Shaikh
- Head of Student's welfare Committee – Prof. Dr. Ashutose Saha
After the publication of admission test result, selected students are admitted in Level-1 (academic year). Each Level is divided into three terms. Term-I and Term-II is composed of 18 weeks and Short Term composed of 3 weeks. Each week consists of five working days. A student can register for the next Level after completion of all three Terms. A Bachelor course in Engineering consists of four Levels and a Bachelor of Architecture course consists of five Levels. A Term final examination is held at the end of Term-I and II besides class tests examination for continuous assessment of progress. Students can clear any backlog or incomplete courses in the Short Term exam.
|Numerical Grade||Letter Grade||Grade Point|
|80% or above||A+||4.00|
|75% to less than 80%||A||3.75|
|70% to less than 75%||A-||3.50|
|65% to less than 70%||B+||3.25|
|60% to less than 65%||B||3.00|
|55% to less than 60%||B-||2.75|
|50% to less than 55%||C+||2.50|
|45% to less than 50%||C||2.25|
|40% to less than 45%||D||2.00|
|Less than 40%||F||0.00|
At least 155 credit hours must be earned to be eligible for Bachelor's degree in Engineering. Candidate is awarded Honors if he/she obtains CGPA above 3.75 or higher and awarded Chancellor's award if CGPA is 4.0.
Medium of instruction
The Undergraduate admission test is one of the most intensive written examinations in Bangladesh. After completion of higher secondary education or A level, a student can submit her or his application for undergraduate admission if he/she fulfills the minimum requirements. Students with the best grades in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English of their higher secondary examination are allowed to sit in the admission test. The screening process allows 7000 students to sit for the admission test, based on the cumulative sum of grade points in these four subjects. Students have to sit for both a written and an MCQ test for admission. They have to seat for an additional free-hand drawing test in order to get admitted in Architecture. After the admission test, only about 641 students get admitted. However, for admission to M.S. and Ph. D. programs candidates are required to appear in interviews and/or written tests.
It is one of the public universities of The People's Republic of Bangladesh. Major part of the expense is subsidized by the government through University Grants Commission. A little amount of total expense like hall dues and registration fees per semester is to be paid by the Bangladeshi students. For international students 500$ is to be paid per semester as registration fees. The university also provides scholarship on the basis of their merit.
The Bangladesh High -Tech Park Authority (BHTPA) is going to build the country's first ICT incubator in Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology. The officials from the Ministry of Communication Technology and Bangladesh High -Tech Park Authority have selected a section of land of about 25 acres in the university campus. On 21 November 2013, Bangladesh High -Tech Park Authority inaugurated the office of the ICT Business incubator in CUET campus. The project was approved by the economic department of BHTPA on 8th November 2012. It will create an opportunity for the students of this institution to be self dependent and export software to the foreign countries.
Laboratories of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Laboratories of Civil Engineering
Laboratories of Computer Science & Engineering
Laboratories of Mechanical Engineering
Halls of residence
There are four men's and one women's dormitories. These are:
- Dr. Qudrat-E-Khuda Hall
- Shahed Mohammad Shah Hall
- Shahed Tareq Huda Hall
- Sufia kamal Hall
- Bangabandhu Hall
|Name of Hall||Named after||Provost||Number of Students|
|Dr. Qudrat-i-Khuda Hall||Muhammad Qudrat-i-Khuda||Prof. Dr. Mahmud Abdul Matin Bhuiyan||430|
|Sufia Kamal Hall||Sufia Kamal||Dr. Ranjit Kumar Sutradhar||200|
|Bangabandhu Hall||Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib||Dr. Sajal Chandra Bonik||600|
|Shaheed Mohammad Shah Hall||Freedom fighter||Prof. Dr. Abdur Rashid||415|
|Shaheed Tareq Huda Hall||Freedom fighter||Prof. Dr. Faruque-Uz-Zaman Chowdhury||376|
Students at CUET are involved in extracurricular activities, the student organizations at CUET are:
- Robo Mechatronics Association known as RMA is a research-oriented organization that focuses mainly on Robotics & other science based research. Also organizes a national inter-university robotics competition called ROBORACE.
- CUET Debating Society known as CUETDS formed in 14 February 2000 is the only organization encouraging debate movements in the campus. Also active in social and cultural activities. It has also been organizing Inter University Youth Festival for many years, with so many modules like Debate Competition, Project Show, Cultural Show, Film Festival, photography Exhibition.
- Green for Peace is an organization for nature conservation and pollution eradication. It was established in 1998 by students from 92 EEE batch. It performs tree planting, creates nature awareness among the students of the institution, and arranges seminars on pollution control.
- CUET Journalist Association known as CUETJA is the organization of journalists studying in CUET. The members of CUETJA work in the various national newspapers of Bangladesh.It was founded in 2006. It has launched a campus-based 24 hours online newspaper called cuetnews24.com. In September 2011 CUETJA organized a day-long program named CUETJA AWAKENING FESTIVAL-2011 to unite all campus journalists.
- Joyoddhoney is the one of the Cultural Organizations of CUET. It was Established on February 16, 2000. Joyoddhoney has been organizing and performing many cultural programs both inside and outside CUET.
- Student Climate Cell CUET is another student association in the campus which strives to fight against climate change. It works to bring awareness to environmental issues to students and to the general public. This cell also involves various research ideas and project implementation in various fields of environment.
- Computer club began in 2000. The function of this club is to promote information on information technology. It has a programming contest inside and outside the country.
- Andromeda Space and Robotics Research Organization (ASRRO)
- CUET-Film Society (CUETFS)
- Photography & Art Culture Association
- CUET BSME
- CUET IEEE
- CUET civil engineer's club
- CUET Programmers Club (CPC)
- Architects CUET
- CUET adventurers
- CUET athletic club
Affiliated institutes and centers
- Institute of Energy Technology
- Institute of Information and Communication Technology
- Earthquake Engineering Research Center
- Bureau of Research, Testing & Consultancy
- Language Center
Institute of Energy Technology
The Institute of Energy Technology develops solutions to energy challenges that promote economic and environmental sustainability through research and education.
The objectives of the institute are:
- To run studies and conduct research work on the interacting energy and environmental system,
- To carry out research on energy, environmental and ecological matters,
- To apply energy and environmental science and engineering to sustainable development,
- To carry out research on environmental hazards including pollution;
- To make studies on natural and artificial ecosystems for identifying interactions,
- To undertake energy and environmental research projects in co-operation with public or private organizations at home and abroad;
- To provide facilities for studies and research work on energy engineering and/or environmental engineering and/or energy and environmental engineering and environmental science for M. Sc., M. Phil., and Ph.D., degree, training, diploma and post-doctoral researches.
Institute of Information and Communication Technology
IICT provides 10MBPS Duplex Internet Connectivity in all the academic buildings, administrative building, students' halls and residential area. All are connected by optical fiber. Wi-Fi is available in all the five halls. Broadband internet is present in the residential area. It also ensures:
- Continuous update of CUET web site.
- Ensure mail facility for teachers and officers.
- Maintenance of all the servers and other accessories of central server room.
- Maintenance of campus wide optical fiber connectivity.
- Software development and support.
- Provide support in CUET admission test.
- Hardware and software related services for different office and departments.
Earthquake Engineering Research Center
- Seismic Structural Assessment of Damaged Chittagong Public Library Building During 27 July 2003 Earthquake
- Generation of Liquefaction Potential Map for Chittagong City Area, Bangladesh
- Hamzarbag Earthquake (1997), Chittagong
- Rangamati Earthquake (2003), Chittagong
- NEWS BULLETIN, July 30, 2007 : Sharp Survey on the 28 July 2007 Earthquake near Rangamati.
- Earthquake Field Intensity Measuring Device at EERC, CUET.
Bureau of Research, Testing & Consultancy
For consultation and research the expertise at the university, its teachers and the laboratory facilities are available to other organizations of the country. An institution - Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation (BRTC) - has been formed to oversee these activities. Postgraduate research works are now among the primary functions of the university. The faculties undertake work in fields from renewable energy to GIS.
Bureau aims are to:
- stimulate engineering in the university,
- develop close relations between the university and the industry within the country,
- serve departments of the government in the field of engineering research,
- make profitable use of the research equipment in the university,
- provide a basis for a future graduate study program,
- provide an outlet for the capabilities of the staff.
CUET launched the foreign language learning center in January 2011. The center has an air-conditioned classroom equipped with audio visual systems, multimedia projectors, and computers. Japanese and German language courses are offered.
The first convocation of Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET) was held on 8 April 2008. President Dr. Iazuddin Ahmed, also chancellor of the university, presided over the programme, while former chief adviser of the caretaker government Justice Muhammad Habibur Rahman was present as the convocation speaker. Education and Commerce Adviser Dr. Hossain Zillur Rahman was also present on the occasion as the special guest.
A total of 1,403 graduates and post-graduates from four departments received certificates in the convocation. Of them, 1,398 graduates were from Civil Engineering, Mechanical and Electrical and Electronics departments of 1996 to 2002 sessions and Computer Science and Engineering Department graduates of 1998 to 2002 sessions. Seven students from the 1999-2000 to 2005-2006 sessions were awarded gold medals for their outstanding academic feats in the convocation.
Second convocation of the university was held on 29 November 2012. Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid presided over the ceremony. Dr Md Jahangir Alam, vice chancellor of CUET,Prof. Dr. Jamilur Reza Chowdhury, Vice chancellor of University of Asia Pacific, also spoke at the programme. A total of 1,718 graduates from 2003-2006 sessions were awarded certificates. Four students received gold medals. M.Phil, M.Sc, engineering students also received certificates.
Events and achievements
- Country's first Hi Tech-park IT Business Incubator comprising 50 acres, 5 ten storied buildings with all modern equipments is approved by University Grants Commission of Bangladesh and going to be established soon. It will create an opportunity for the students of this institution to be self dependent and export software to the foreign countries.
- Vice Chancellor of CUET Prof. Dr. MD. Jahangir Alam is nominated as the International engineer of the year by The International Biographical Center of Cambridge, England and elected as Outstanding People of 21'st century due to his achievements in the field of civil engineering.
- The Department of Computer Science & Engineering celebrated its 10th anniversary by organizing a program titled TELE TALK CUET ICT Fête-09. The occasion comprised the events: National Collegiate Programming Contest (CUET-NCPC), Hardware and Software Project Showcasing, Career Counseling, Seminar on ICT, Gaming Contest, a grand reunion with a cultural program.
- BSME 3rd national conference completed.
- The project of RESCUE ROBOT SERIES-1(RRS-1)(model-BCA5I)(earthquake) completed.
- A team of CUET named CUET Terminators participated in NASA's fourth annual Lunabotics Mining Competition in 2013.
- On 1 September 2013, CUET stepped into its 11th year after it was converted into a university .
- A team of CUET placed 2nd in an exhibition and design contest of fuel efficient vehicles styled ECORUN Bangladesh 2013.
- 5 teams of CUET secured the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th in the programming contest organized by International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC) at IIUC campus.
- List of universities in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
- Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET)
- Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET)
- Academic Information, Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology
- Undergraduate Bulletin, EEE 2012
- History of CUET
- Undergraduate Bulletin, 2011 EEE
- Undergraduate Bulletin, 2012
- National Web Portal Of Bangladesh - President
- Message from VC
- Undergraduate Bulletin, May 2012
- Admission Prospectus www.cuet.ac.bd
- Undergraduate Bulletin, Dept. of EEE p. 24
- Official CUET website
- CUET current student and ALUMNI website
- CUET online Alumni community
- Only Bengali Blog of CUET
- Institute of Energy Technology, CUET
- Website of CUET News
- Student Climate Cell
- Mechatronics Group, Bangladesh
- First Convocation of CUET
- (official website of ASRR0)