Chittenango Falls State Park
|Chittenango Falls State Park|
Photo of Chittenango Falls taken in May from the footbridge spanning the creek.
|Location||2300 Rathbun Rd.
Cazenovia, New York
|Nearest city||Syracuse, New York|
|Area||194 acres (0.79 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Website||Chittenango Falls State Park|
Chittenango Falls State Park is located in Madison County, New York east of Cazenovia Lake. The park features a 167-foot (51 m) waterfall that cascades over roughly 400 million year old bedrock, flowing beneath a wooden bridge spanning the meandering Chittenango Creek. The park offers a variety of activities including picnic tables with pavilions, a playground, a nature trail, hiking, and fishing.
Approximately 57,000 visitors come to the park each year to engage in a variety of outdoor recreational activities. Although many camping guides still mistakenly list it as a campground, the park's campground was closed in the mid-2000s.
Trails and scenic viewing
While the park is open year-round, the trail leading to the falls' viewing bridge is closed during winter months due to icy conditions. Views of the falls are still quite picturesque from the top however, with the ability to view the falls from the side of the creek or from a small viewing rail. There is also a steep uphill trail allowing visitors to walk along the side of the lower creek to the top of the falls. Along that trail, there are several viewing spots.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Chittenango Falls State Park - Getting There". Nysparks.com. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Chittenango Falls State Park Brochure" (PDF). Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. (2006) Chittenango Ovate Amber Snail (Novisuccinea chittenangoensis) Recovery Plan, First Revision. Hadley, Massachusetts. xiii + 55 pp. PDF
- "Chittenango Falls State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Elizabeth Doran (January 9, 2014). "Chittenango Falls offers stunning views year-round". Syracuse.com. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- This article incorporates public domain text (a public domain work of the United States Government) from reference.
|This article about a location in Madison County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|