|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
|• Total||69.75 km2 (26.93 sq mi)|
|Elevation||333.75 m (1,094.98 ft)|
|• Density||2,200/km2 (5,700/sq mi)|
|• Spoken||Telugu, Tamil|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Chittoor is a municipal corporation and district headquarters located in the Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is located on the NH 4 linking major metropolitan cities Bangalore and Chennai. The city has a population of 153,766 and that of the agglomeration is 175,640.(2011 census)
The district abounds in several pre-historic sites. The surface finds discovered are assigned to special stages in the progress of civilization. The Palaeolithic tools are discovered at Tirupathi, Sitarampeta, Ellampalle, Mekalavandlapalle, Piler, etc. The Mesolithic tools are discovered at Chinthaparthi, Moratavandlapalle, Aruvandlapalle, Tirupathi etc. Remains of Neolithic and ancient tools are unearthed near Bangarupalem only. The existence of megolithic culture was revealed by the discovery of burials at Irulabanda, Bapanatham, Voyalpadu, Sodum, Velkuru, Nyakaneri, Basinikonda, etc.
The political history of the district commences with the Mauryas in the 4th century BC. The district of Chittoor was not a homogeneous administrative unit up to 1911. Its component parts were under the control of various principal dynasties at different periods of times, namely, the Mauryas, Satavahanas, Pallavas, Chalukyas of Badami, Rashtrakutas, Cholas, Pandyas, Royal of Vijayanagara, Qutub Shahis, Mughals, Asof Jahis, Marathas, Hyder Ali and Tipu of Mysore, and the British, besides minor dynasties such as the Renande Cholas, Banas, Vaidumbas, Nolambas, Western Gangas, Yadavas, Telugu Cholas, Matlis, Uttama Chola Ganga, Andiyaman, Siyaganga rulers, Nawabs of Kadapa and Arcot. The Zamindars of Karvetinagar, Srikalahasthi, Punganur and Kangundhi also ruled over this district.
Chittoor city lies on the banks of Ponnai River at the southernmost part of Andhra Pradesh state. Chittoor is located at the junction of national highway 4 and national highway 18 between Bangalore and Chennai. The famous Tirupati temple and Kanipakam Vinayaka Temple is located close to the city.
The district derives its name from Chittoor, its headquarters town. It is located between the northern latitudes of 37" and 14??8" and between the eastern longitudes 78??33" and 79??55". It is bounded on the east by Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh and Trivuvallur and Vellore Districts of Tamil Nadu, on the west by Kolar and Chikkaballapur Districts of Karnataka, on the North Kadapa District of Andhra Pradesh and on the south by Dharmapuri District of Tamil Nadu. In respect of area it takes the eighth place with an area of 15,150 Square Kilometers which accounts for 5.51 percent of the total area of the state. The general elevation of the mountainous part of the district is 2500 feet above sea level. The Chennai & Bangalore cities are located in 150 km. and 165 km. respectively to Chittoor Town.
Telugu is the official language. Tamil is the most widely spoken language in Chittoor city.Chittoor also has a sizeable population of Malayalam, Kannada, Marati speaking People. Its Multi cultural and Multi Linguistic. Chittoor has a population of 353,766 and has a sex ratio of 1000:1002 as compared to a ratio of 1000:992 in the state, as of 2011 census. The literacy rate of the City is 90.60%. Chittoor was upgraded as municipal corporation in 2011.
Chittoor is the district capital and houses many district level government institutions.
Chittoor is predominantly an agro-market place and a major market for mango, grain, sugarcane, and peanut. Other industries include oilseed, poultry and milk. Tomato farming contributing over 20% of the State's production. Ground nut is the most major commercial crop in the district followed by sugarcane and the major horticulture crop of mangoes. 2nd largest milk producing district with its expansive diary industries. In the field of Dairy, the district stood first in the state. The district is famous also for textile industries like that of Silk with 13000 power looms providing employment 40000 workers. Granite industry famous for its black, pink and grey granites.
- Ram Vilas Sabha, oldest drama club in Andhra Pradesh
- Premala Talkies, constructed in 1941 and the first cinema theatre in Rayalaseema region
- Talakona is a shooting spot and home for the beatific waterfalls which are located about 20 km of western side of Tirupati near Erravaripalem.
- Sri Veera Vijaya Anjaneya Swamy temple located in D.P Palayam village 20 Kilo Meters from Chittoor. Frequent Buses are available from APSRTC that ply towards Gudiyattam and Private Services to reach Paradarami. From Paradarami number of auto Services and APSRTC and private buses are available to reach the temple.
- Horseley Hills, the famous summer hill resort from the Times of British reign.
- Elephant corridor in making in Seshachala hill range & Koundinya.
- The world Famous and richest Hindu temple of Lord Venkateswara in the world on the Hills of Tirumala
- The famous Shiva temple in Srikalahasti known as Dakshina Kailasam.
- The famous Swayambu Vinayaka temple at Kanipakam popular for the mystical increase in the size of the deity's idol and its gradual rise from the well it resides in.
- National Atmospheric Research Lab (NARL) at Gadanki near Tirupathi.
- sri Krishna devarayala kota located in chandargiri village 10 kilo meters form tirupati. Frequent Buses are available from (APSRTC) WITH 10 minutes for one bus available.
- The famous Shree Veeranjaneya Swamy Temple in Aragonda Village located 20 Kilo meters from chittoor,15 km from Kanipakam known as Ardhagiri.
- SRI KODANDARAMA SWAMY old temple modified and newly constructed one beautiful lake. It is an historic temple. There are 3 coconut trees; in one coconut 3 trees have grown. It is a wonderful place to visit SRI KODANDARAMA SWAMY TEMPELE, T.PUTTUR, near KANIPAKAM, CHITTOOR.
Notable educational institutions
Little Flower English Medium School, B.Z. High School, Municipal Elementary School, Mittoor Government High School, Palamaner Road, Chitoor, Next to DEO's Office. P.C.R Government Jr. College, Kannan Government Jr. College, Viswavani English Medium School, Kondamitta,Chittoor P.V.K.N.Arts and Science College, Camford english medium high school, B.V.Reddy Higher Secondary School, Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering & Technology (SVCET), Sri Venkateswara College of Pharmacy (SVCOP), Srinivasa Institute of Technology and Management Studies (SITAMS), Vijayam Degree and P.G College etc.
Chittoor is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh.
- Cattamanchi Ramalinga Reddy - educationist and political thinker, essayist and economist, poet and literary critic.He was the founder of Andhra University
- Talari Manohar - Member of Parliament, Member of Legislative Assembly.
- Chittoor Subramaniam Pillai - Carnatic musician
- Chittor V. Nagaiah - actor
- Prathap C Reddy - founder and chairman of the Apollo group of hospitals
- Madhurantakam Rajaram - writer, Sahitya Akademi awardee
- B V Reddy - founder of the Nutrine factory
- Gutta Muniratnam Naidu - founder and general secretary of RASS
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu - Chief Minister, Visionary, Chief of TDP
- D K Adhikeshavulu - Ex MP, Ex Chairman TTD, Founder Vydehi Hospitals
- Nallari Kiran kumar Reddy - Ex Chief Minister
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Andhra Pradesh District Gazetteers: Chittoor - Andhra Pradesh (India), Bh Sivasankaranarayana, M. V. Rajagopal, N. Ramesan - Google Books
- "UA population". censusindia. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Pre-History/ PoliticalHistory - CHITTOOR DISTRICT'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE | ANDHRA PRADESH | INDIA - చిత్తూరు జిల్లా అధికారిక వెబ్సైట్ - ChittoorDistrictWebsite
- Topography/ Boundaries - CHITTOOR DISTRICT'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE | ANDHRA PRADESH | INDIA - చిత్తూరు జిల్లా అధికారిక వెబ్సైట్ - ChittoorDistrictWebsite
- Sex Ratio of Andhra Pradesh is 992 per 1000 as per Census 2011 | Census 2011 Indian Population. Census2011.co.in (2011-04-27). Retrieved on 2012-01-07.
- Chittor Municipality. Chittoor.ap.gov.in. Retrieved on 2012-01-07.
- Commerce/ Industries - CHITTOOR DISTRICT'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE | ANDHRA PRADESH | INDIA - చిత్తూరు జిల్లా అధికారిక వెబ్సైట్ - ChittoorDistrictWebsite
- Welcome To ISRO :: Centres :: Gadanki :: National Atmospheric Research Laboratory(NARL)
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu