Chop Socky Chooks
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Chop Socky Chooks|
|Created by||Sergio Delfino|
|Directed by||Sergio Delfino|
|Voices of||Shelley Longworth
|Country of origin||United Kingdom (production)
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||Miles Bullough, Daniel Lennard|
|Producer(s)||Christine Ponzevera,Janice Walker, Jacqueline White,Ben Lock|
|Running time||22 minutes approx.|
|Production company(s)||Aardman Animations
|Original run||USA: 7 March – 28 November 2008
UK: 8 September 2008 – present
Chop Socky Chooks is a British/Canadian animated series produced by Aardman Animations, Decode Entertainment and DHX Media that debuted on 7 March 2008. It was created by animator Sergio Delfino, a prominent animator at Aardman. It currently airs only on Teletoon The show previously aired in the USA on Cartoon Network. The name is from "chop socky" which is slang for the Asian martial arts film genre, and "chook" which is Australian and New Zealand slang for chicken.
The Chop Socky Chooks
- Chick P (voiced by Shelley Longworth) – Chick P is the most mature out of the team and probably the team's leader. In her childhood, she had a best friend named Oni (currently a villain known as Deadeye) whom she would play Blind Man's Bluff. She has personal issues with Dr. Wasabi who destroyed her home to build Wasabi World. Her daytime job is working as an electrician in the pipes of WasabiWorld. Her fighting clothes are similar to what the females wore in the old times of Japan. Her battle weapon is her razor fans.
- Chuckie Chan (voiced by Rob Rackstraw) – Chuckie Chan was once a student of Master Yoshi learning the fighting style "Pow Kung". His daytime job is teaching the youth of Wasabi World his martial arts. He had an old rival named Koby/Korbua. His fighting clothing is similar to what master martial artists wore. He know to use proverbs in almost every episode. His battle weapon is his spiritual chi energy.
- K.O. Joe (voiced by Paterson Joseph) – K.O. Joe is the team's funky crusader. He was shown to have a fear of bugs after they would crawl into an afro as a child. His daytime job is running a comic book shop. He has shown great skills with handling with troubled youth, a great skateboarder, and known to be a ladie's man. His fighting clothes are similar to people wore back in the 70's. His battle weapon is a grappling hook pick.
- Dr. Wasabi (voiced by Paul Kaye) – Dr. Wasabi is the ruler of Wasbai World and is the main antagonist of the show. He is a little piranha that has an astronaut-like attire with water filled inside. He has control of every place in Wasabi World, yet he has no idea of who the Chop Socky Chooks are. He is armed with his top henchman Bubba and his Ninja Chimps. His name is retained from his wasabi-like skin color.
- Bubba (voiced by Rupert Degas) – Bubba is a large ape and wears a suit with a top hat. Although not intelligent, he's big in heart. He is to have the dumb and strong personality like many cartoon characters. He has proved himself very useful, besides his impressive strength. His favorite comic book hero is Captain Cockroach and enjoys reading comic books.
- Ninja Chimps – A group of chimpanzees trained in ninjitsu that serve as Dr. Wasabi's foot soldiers.
- Omnioni – An ancient demon who is supposed to be so powerful and evil that he had to be bottled up by the Lord of the Underworld. In Big Bad Bubba, he possesses Bubba in an attempt to open a portal to the underworld. However, Bubba's inability to read slowed him down long enough for Chick P to make Bubba sneeze Omnioni out of him and was sucked into the portal.
- Kobi/Kobura – An cobra-like creature who was Chuckie Chan's rival since before the show's history. According to his master, Kobi is bad-tempered. After he was bitten by cobras, he changed into an insane, merciless megalomaniac and for this reason, was banished forever (he also has a fork in his tongue). Soon, years later, Kobi becomes a powerful snake-like being with the ability to possess great strength, control cobras, and deadly venom that will explode a person's heart by sunset. In Kobura Strikes, the Chooks were poisoned by Kobura and his snakes and attempt to find the cure before sundown. When they were finally cured, Kobura lunges toward K.O. Joe only to fall off a tower where his final battle with Chuckie took place. He, however, appears again in Snake in the Class, this time revealing the Chop Socky Chooks secret identities and appears to be able to hypnotize people. This attempt failed as well though. Kobura is shown to be even more intelligent and ruthless than Doctor Wasabi while his voice appears to be a parody of John Hurt's.
- Oni/Deadeye – She appeared in the episode "If Looks Could Kill". She is a white viper who likes wearing gothic-lolita. As a child, she used to be Chick P's best friend, but apparently had a left eye condition.She was extremely envious. She said "You win again Chickadee. You always win!" with vain as they played "Bind Mans Bluff". Dr. Wasabi used this to his advantage and taught her to use her evil eye (which is why she donned the name Deadeye). Once she came into town, she greeted her friend, but then left to settle business with Wasabi. As Deadeye, Oni is the one who actually made Chick P's father allow Wasabi to break it down, as she specializes in hypnosis and altering reality. Chick P uses a mirrior to reflect the power to her evil eye, thus destroying its rain of terror. As Chick P is about to finish her, she says "Wait! Dee, please! I can't control it, and neither can you" and then crawls up a pipe, leaving a sad Chick P and a dazed K.O. Joe and Chuckie to regret. Her eye might be a reference to the curse Evil Eye.
- Professor Shericon – Chick P's old mentor. He has a spider-like appearance and a Jimmy Stewart-like voice. He appeared in the episode "Double Trouble" where Dr. Wasabi used him to create robotic clones of the Chop Socky Chooks. His name is a play on "Shuriken" and "Silicon".
- Citizens of Wasabi World – An assortment of these appear in every episode.
- The most commonly seen one is a large, fat lady with white skin, a green kimono, red lipstick, and black hair tied in a bun. Who appears to have a huge crush on Chuckie Chan when his cover was blown, shown in the episode "Snake in the Class."
- The Cabbage Lady – A woman with a cabbage. She appeared in "If Looks Could Kill" when Deadeye disguised herself as her. Her only line was "Cabbage?" She appears again in "Snake in the Class" when she is being mugged by hoodlums. In this episode, she appears without her cabbage and says other things than what she said in the past. Voiced by Jules de Jongh
- Siren Sung – A mermaid songstress who can't sing very well. Chuckie Chan had a HUGE crush on her and thought that she had the best voice in the world (in the episode Karaoke Zombies then you would find out they were both tone deaf). She almost married Dr. Wasabi (Chuckie Chan and Dr. Wasabi fought over her), only because of his wealth, later in the episode she dumps him after realizing what a selfish materialist he is, but got sucked down a drain. She fell down when Chuckie Chan accidentally let go of her while reaching for the six dollars he owed her (Chuckie Chan got her to sign something and she wrote 'To a special someone' and she said that it was $5 for the CD and $1 for the love huck). Voiced by Jules de Jongh
- Chuckie's Master – A one-eyed old Chinese man who was the master of Chuckie and Kobi when they were kids. He first appears in "Kobura Strikes". He appears in person in "His Master's Choice." He also appears in "The Lamest Show on Earth."
- Chuckie's Students – Recurring characters in the show. These include a germaphobe boy with green skin named Itchi, a skater/gamer girl with yellow skin named Ume, a boy with dark skin and always appears with a basketball named Stroose, a kimono girl named Cho, and a boy with blue skin named Raco. Raco (Dung Beetle), Stroose (Slaying Mantis), and Cho (Lady Bug - voiced by Jules de Jongh) briefly became Junior Chooks in "Snake in the Class". In "Game Over Chooks" its revealed that Ume and Itchi are related.
- Iron Butt Monks – A trio of Chinese monks with fat iron butts (as their name suggests). In "Return the Other Cheek", Wasabi enlists Bubba to steal the Twin Cheeks, but was only able to steal one, and Bubba leaves behind one of Joe's 'fro combs as proof that the Chooks were responsible for stealing the Twin Cheeks. Their iron butts, as Chuckie explained in both episodes in which they appeared, came from their training; they threw their bitts onto buckets of sand, hot coals, and finally, open lava. This gave them their steel derrières, which are extremely hard, and they honed their powers, learning their most powerful attack, the Fiery Butt-Blast of Fury.
- Hairy Sumo Brothers – A duo of sumos with hair all over their bodies (as their name suggests). In "The Codfather", Wasabi fires Bubba for the Hairy Sumo Brothers and aids Wasabi in stealing money for himself.
- Mother Superior – A one-eyed Squid dressed up as a nun who is the mother of the Iron Butt Monks. She has only got one eye.
- Bantam – He is an enemy of Wasabi. He is possibly K.O. Joe's father and has a striking resemblance to Batman (his name is even an anagram).
- Squirt – He is a little teddy bear type thing who helps the Chop Socky Chooks get out of the jungle. K.O . calls him Cuddley sidekick. He is pink with brown stripes.
|#||Episode Title||US air date||UK air date|
|1||"Game Over Chooks!"||7 March 2008||8 September 2008|
|Dr. Wasabi uses the Chooks to be the power source of a new video game. This video game will actually kill the Chooks in real life. W: Ian Carney|
|2||"Big Bad Bubba!"||14 March 2008||15 September 2008|
|Bubba accidentally releases an evil demon that possesses his body. When the Chooks realize this, they try to stop the demon from reaching Wasabi World. W: Lienne Sawatsky|
|3||"Kobura Strikes"||21 March 2008||22 September 2008|
|A rival of Chuckie Chan comes to Wasabi World so that he can take him and the Chooks down. W: Simon Racioppa and Richard Elliot|
|4||"Now You Coliseum, Now You Don't"||28 March 2008||29 September 2008|
|KO Joe protests Dr. Wasabi's decision to ban solar bording in Wasabi World. Because of this, the Ninja Chimps and the Chooks must face off in a rollerblading competition at Dr. Wasabi's arena. W: J.D. Smith|
|5||"Double Trouble"||3 April 2008||5 October 2008|
|Chick P visits her old mentor when robotic Chooks attack Wasabi World. Once there, she tries to find out where the Chooks came from. Unfortunately, all signs point to the fact that her old teacher is working for Dr. Wasabi. W: Mike Kubat|
|6||"If Looks Could Kill"||10 April 2008||12 October 2008|
|Chick P holds a reunion with her old friend Oni, but unknown to her, Oni has another agenda; as the malicious Deadeye, she has a new scheme to enact revenge on Chick P and also take over Wasabi World and the Chooks investigate. During the investigation, they discover why Chick P's family has lost its honor. W: Emma Ko|
|7||"Do You Want Thighs With That?"||24 April 2008|
|Citizens of Wasabi World are getting fatter with every Wasabi Burger they eat. Luckily, Dr. Wasabi has set up liposuction centers all around Wasabi World. It's up to the Chooks to discover what exactly is inside the burgers.|
|8||"In Your Dreams"|
|Chuckie Chan is captured as a prisoner in Wasabi's Dream World because he has insomnia. To save Chuckie Chan, Chick P comes up with a plan to rescue him by sending KO Joe into Dream World. While in Dream World, both of the guys have to face their nightmares; Chuckie's being a giant toy duck, Mr. Quackers, and Joe's being a fear of jellybeans. W: Simon Racioppa and Richard Elliot|
|9||"Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Breath"|
|Wasabi makes plans to marry the mermaid Siren Sung (who Chuckie Chan has a crush on), and soon decides to flood Wasabi World (and rename it Wasabi Water World). Now it's up to the Chooks to stop wedding arrangements or risk swimming with the fishes.|
|10||"Snake in the Class"|
|When the Chooks secret identities are revealed, they must go into hiding. Chuckie Chan's pupil's then become the Junior Chooks to act as the Chooks go-betweens, but Chuckie suspects there may be a traitor among them. It turns out Kobura is back and has teamed up with Dr. Wasabi.|
|11||"His Master's Choice"|
|Chuckie Chan's master senses trouble in the Cosmic Balance, and traces it back to its source – Dr. Wasabi's new toy, the Karma Gotcha. The Karma Gotcha steals its owners' good luck/karma. But Chuckie Chan is ordered to return to his monastery (due to the evil, luck-sucking Karma Gotcha), leaving only K.O. Joe and Chick P to stop Dr. Wasabi's evil plot.|
|12||"Chop Socky Whoops"|
|Dr. Wasabi decides to go back in time to the day the Chooks formed and prevent them from ever meeting each other. W: J.D. Smith|
|13||"The Mark of the Bantam"|
|After Wasabi makes a foolish television show of his enemy Bantam, the Chooks have to save the day when the real one shows up. W: Simon Racioppa and Richard Elliot|
|14||"Night of the Karaoke Zombies"|
|While visiting the Karaoke Korral, the Chooks discover that Wasabi plans on changing the mall-dwellers of the peaceful level into living zombies. W: J.D. Smith|
|15||"Return the Other Cheek"|
|When Wasabi finds out that the Iron Butt Monk's power comes from the Twin Orbs of the Apocalypse, he sends Bubba in to steal it. However, Bubba is only able to steal one, meaning the Cosmic Wind will attack Wasabi World. It's up to the Chooks and the Iron Butt Monks to bring the two Cheeks back together before it's too late.|
|16||"Planet of the Bubba"|
Bubba fixes Wasabi's TV satellite and is accidentally struck by some sort of powerful force. This force causes Bubba to become super smart and he uses his smarts to put the Wasabi World citizens in a zoo. It's up to the Chooks to find a way to stop Bubba's new evil plans.Title Reference: Planet of the Apes
|17||"The Level That Time Forgot"|
|The Chooks are trapped in a prehistoric mall level when Wasabi attacks the group. Things take a turn for the worse, when they are attacked by a mutant budgie, and the level's inhabitants find Chick P to be the Queen of the Neandermalls. W: Dale Schott|
|The Chooks are up against their toughest opponents yet – a group of babies. These babies aren't exactly typical, however. That's because they've been drinking Wasabi's new milk in a plan to make an army of Bushido Babies. W: Ian Carney|
Dr. Wasabi offers the mall-dwellers free trips to the moon, but the Chooks discover that it's part of his evil scheme to make them work as slaves in his space mine. W: Dale SchottTitle reference: Apollo 13
|20||"Chooks of Hazard"|
The Chooks compete in a wacky race against Wasabi World's most dangerous villains to prevent Dr. Wasabi from obtaining the components for a deadly Doomsday device. W: Jeff BiedermanTitle reference: Dukes of Hazzard
|21||"Enter the Chickens"|
|To prove to his students that the pure path of Kung Fu is best, Chuckie Chan convinces the Chooks to participate in Dr. Wasabi's Ultimate Martial Artist contest. However, Dr. Wasabi knows that they'll make it to the final round, so he rigs the contest to stack the odds against them. W: Ian Carney|
|Dr. Wasabi tries to obtain the powers of a radioactive bug, but things go awry and Wasabi World is overrun by cockroaches. W: Sean Jara|
|23||"The Lamest Show on Earth"|
|Chuckie Chan is entrusted with guarding a rare and valuable dragon egg. When the egg hatches, the Chooks must take care of the baby dragon and keep it from falling into the hands of Dr. Wasabi. W: Doug Hadders and Adam Rotstein|
|24||"Isle Be Seeing You"|
|The Chooks wake up on a mysterious island filled with dangerous perils as part of Dr. Wasabi's new, deadly, reality TV show. W: Mark Robertson|
Chick P wants Bubba to be the fourth member of the Chop Socky Chooks after Wasabi fires him for the Hairy Sumo Brothers. However, Bubba only seems to get in the way when it comes to fighting in battles. W: Simon Racioppa and Richard ElliotTitle Reference: The Godfather
|26||"Down the Drain"|
|A simple misunderstanding makes Wasabi's main computer flush him down the toilet. Things get worse when Bubba attacks it, making it go haywire and making the various electronic equipment in the mall attack the customers. The Chooks must fight the mall itself, as Dr. Wasabi is being stalked by a monster in the sewers. W: Ian Carney|
- Rupert Degas – Bubba
- Chris Hardwick – The Ninja Chimps
- Paterson Joseph – K.O. Joe
- Paul Kaye – Dr. Wasabi
- Shelley Longworth – Chick P.
- Rob Rackstraw – Chuckie Chan
- Kris Zimmerman – Voice Director
|DVD Name||Release dates||Ep #||Additional Information|
|Volume 1||6 October 2009||13||The two disc box set includes 13 episodes from Season 1. Each episode is presented with English 5.1 Dolby Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. Running Time: 286 minutes.|