Location of Chorleywood in Hertfordshire
|Local authority||Three Rivers|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|14 November 1966||Goods yard closed|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Chorleywood station is a London Underground and National Rail station in Travelcard Zone 7 (previously zone B) on the Metropolitan line. The town of Chorleywood is located in the Three Rivers district of Hertfordshire about 20 miles from London. Chorleywood station is also served by Chiltern Railways, which runs trains from London Marylebone station through to Aylesbury.
The station was built for the extension to the Metropolitan Railway and opened as "Chorley Wood" on 8 July 1889. It was renamed "Chorley Wood & Chenies" on 1 November 1915. In 1934 it reverted to the original name, which changed to the present name during 1964.
Chorleywood station was formerly served by steam hauled Metropolitan line trains from Aylesbury to London, with a changeover to an electric locomotive at Rickmansworth. The electrification north of Rickmansworth (to Amersham and Chesham) was completed in 1960, with steam trains being withdrawn in 1961. Since the early 1960s to the present Metropolitan line trains at Chorleywood have been formed of London Underground A60 Stock (and the almost identical A62 Stock). Chiltern Railways (Aylesbury-Marylebone) trains are formed by diesel multiple units.
Between October 2004 and December 2011 almost all Southbound Metropolitan line trains from Chorleywood into London were fast trains to Baker Street, calling at Rickmansworth, Moor Park, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Wembley Park, Finchley Road and Baker Street. Since December 2011 only a few morning peak hour Metropolitan line trains have been operated as fast trains, at other times the trains mostly call at all stations, adding over 10 minutes to journey times. The journey to central London takes around 35–50 minutes depending on the line and time of day. Northbound Metropolitan line trains call at all stations to Amersham or Chesham.
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original on 26 January 2014.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News (London Underground Railway Society) (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chorleywood station.|
- Train times and station information for Chorleywood station from National Rail
- "Chorleywood station". Photographic Archive. London Transport Museum. Archived from the original on 2014-02-17.
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|Chalfont & Latimer||Chiltern Railways
|This article about a railway station in the East of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Kingdom rapid transit article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|