Chōjin Sentai Jetman
|Chōjin Sentai Jetman|
Chōjin Sentai Jetman
|Written by||Toshiki Inoue
|Directed by||Keita Amemiya
|Narrated by||Tsutomu Tareki|
|Opening theme||"Chōjin Sentai Jetman" (鳥人戦隊ジェットマン Chōjin Sentai Jettoman ) by Hironobu Kageyama|
|Ending theme||"The Heart is an Egg" (こころはタマゴ Kokoro wa Tamago ) by Hironobu Kageyama|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||51|
|Running time||approx. 25 minutes|
|Original channel||TV Asahi|
|Original run||February 15, 1991 – February 14, 1992|
|Preceded by||Chikyu Sentai Fiveman|
|Followed by||Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger|
Chōjin Sentai Jetman (鳥人戦隊ジェットマン Chōjin Sentai Jettoman , [Note 1]) is the fifteenth entry of the Super Sentai television series. Produced by the Toei Company and Bandai, the series aired on TV Asahi on February 15, 1991 to February 14, 1992, with a total of 51 episodes. The series pays homage to the Science Ninja Team Gatchaman anime series, using a similar bird motif.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Characters
- 2.1 Sky Force
- 2.2 Dimensional War Party Vyram
- 3 Episodes
- 4 Cast
- 5 Songs
- 6 International broadcasts
- 7 Related media
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
This series takes place in 199X on the Earth Ship, the command center of a defence agency called Sky Force, the guardians of peace on Earth. In the ship, scientists have developed "Birdonic Waves", a newly developed technology which gives the subject superhuman abilities. Experiments called "J-Project" were successful. Aya Odagiri, the director of the project, chooses five elite Sky Force officials from Earth to use this technology. Ryu Tendoh, one of the Sky Force officers, is successfully exposed to the Birdonic Waves, making him the first Jetman, the Red Hawk.
However, the Earth Ship is suddenly attacked by Vyram, an evil outer-dimensional organization bent on inter-dimensional domination. They successfully destroy the ship, apparently killing Ryu's lover and fellow candidate member Rie. In the chaos, the remaining Birdonic Waves for the other four officials become scattered on Earth, hitting four civilians. Odagiri and Tendoh successfully escape and begin searching on Earth for the four remaining Jetman, training them to aid them in stopping Vyram's plans of conquering their dimension.
The series later follows the tribulations of Ryu as he learns of Rie's survival and enlistment in the Vyram forces, as well as a love triangle between Gai, Ryu, and Kaori.
Sky Force (スカイフォース Sukai Fōsu ) is the military organization the Jetmen belong to.
Based at the Sky Camp (スカイキャンプ Sukai Kyanpu ), a high-tech base provided by the Sky Force, the Jetmen can launch their mecha from it. Each Jetman has a wing suit called the Jet Wings in order for them to glide in the air.
Ryu Tendoh (天堂 竜 Tendō Ryū )/Red Hawk (レッドホーク Reddo Hōku ): Born at May 10, 1965. He is 25-years-old at the beginning of the series, but turns 26 in episode 13. He is originally a Sky Forcer codenamed "W6" and leader of the Jetmen. Being the only official to become a Jetman, his policy is to be always professional and never let feelings affect himself in battle, enforcing it to his team mates. This comes to a conflict when he discovers that his beloved Rie has become Maria, eventually coming to terms with the revelation as he resolves to save Rie from the Vyram's hold over her. However, Maria's death by his nemesis Radiguet exceeds into the final battle, quitting the team to go after Radiguet before Kaori manages to talk Ryu out of revenge by reminding him of Rie's final wish. During the final battle, Ryu has his superior and the other Jetmen to use Jet Icarus to destroy Raguem and Jet Garuda, injuring him as a result. Three years later, Ryu marries Kaori.
- Attacks: Wing Punch (ウイングパンチ Uingu Panchi )
Ryu Tendoh is portrayed by Kotaro Tanaka (田中 弘太郎 Tanaka Kotaro ).
Kaori Rokumeikan (鹿鳴館 香 Rokumeikan Kaori )/White Swan (ホワイトスワン Howaito Suwan ): The 22-year-old heiress of the Rokumeikan Enterprises empire. She is taken care of by her butler, Jiiya, since her parents live in New York City. She joined the Jetmen to escape the boredom of her heiress life. She is good at Kendo and is the best shot in Jetman. Kaori was in the middle of a love triangle with Ryū and Gai, learning in battle what a spoiled rich girl she was and what were the really important things. Raita also had feelings for her. She was once engaged to a wealthy businessman named Soichiro Kitaoji and was close to marrying him, but she quickly ended their relationship when she saw his selfishness in contrast to her team's selfless determination as warriors of justice. She does sometimes use her wealth to help the team, like when she used a lot of diamonds to try and snap Ako from the curse of the monster Red Diamond. At the end of the series, she marries Ryū with whom she overcome difficult times.
- Attacks: Swan Wing (スワンウィング Suwan Wingu ), Swannie Attack (スワニーアタック Suwanī Atakku ), Double Kick (with Yellow Owl).
Raita Oishi (大石 雷太 Ōishi Raita )/Yellow Owl (イエローオウル Ierō Ōru ): A 22-year-old overweight, eyeglasses-wearing nature lover who enjoys vegetables, Raita hated Vyram for their destruction of nature. He was raised by his grandmother, Kiyo Ōishi, because Raita's parents were busy learning to be good at cooking. He looked after Kaori and had feelings for her, vowing to protect her even if he had no chance with her. As Yellow Owl, he specializes in raw strength techniques like head butts, body blows, sumo-based techniques, and hurling boulders. Three years after Vyram is defeated, he runs a farm with his childhood friend, Satsuki, before later taking their business to the next level via the internet.
- Attacks: Rock Drop (岩石落とし Ganseki Otoshi ), Deadly Thrust (必殺つっぱり Hissatsu Tsuppari ), Condor/Owl Towering Attack, Double Kick (ダブルキック Daburu Kikku ) (with White Swan).
Raita Oishi is portrayed by Ikko Tadano (ただの いっこ Tadano Ikko ) (Credited under Tomihisa Naruse (成瀬 富久 Naruse Tomihisa )).
Ako Hayasaka (早坂 アコ Hayasaka Ako )/Blue Swallow (ブルースワロー Burū Suwarō ): An 18-year-old senior student at Miharakita High School, Ako was a bright and cheerful girl who wants to marry a rich man. She first thought of being a Jetman as a means to get ¥1,500 per hour, but her first battle awakens her sense of justice and made her realize that she must fight as a warrior. She is best friends with her classmate, Kyōko, who learned of her true identity during the voice Jigen incident. From the Gomi Jigen incident, the monster being her childhood toy Pootan, Ako learns of how wasteful humans can be. She debuts as an idol singer three years after the fall of Vyram.
- Attacks: Swallow Dash (スワローダーッシュ Suwarō Dāsshu ).
Ako Hayasaka is portrayed by Sayuri Uchida (内田 さゆり Uchida Sayuri ).
Gai Yuki (結城 凱 Yūki Gai )/Black Condor (ブラックコンドル Burakku Kondoru ): A 25-year-old second-in-command of the Jetmen, a loner who hates being told what to do. Gai loves to fight but prefers things to work out without violence. Gai's fighting styles are street fighting and mixed martial arts: his combat skills match Ryu's, though he fights dirty and hits below the belt sometimes. He initially clashes with Ryū when drafted against his will, but they eventually become friends. His interests include motorcycle, swimming, saxophone, gambling and womanizing. He loves Kaori, and often tries to flirt with her, without results, which ends up with him suffering from the frustration of his nonreciprocating feelings. When she finally accepts him, they frequently had problems in their relationship as both are too different. He is rivals with Grey. He defeated Grey in their final encounter, in which a part of his helmet was damaged. Years after the battle with Vyram ended, while buying a bouquet for Ryu and Kaori's wedding, Gai chases after a mugger. However, the mugger mortally wounds Gai by stabbing him in the stomach. He makes it to the church after the wedding party and talks to Ryu before he dies while watching everyone enjoy themselves.
- Attacks: Condor Finish (コンドルフィニッシュ Kondoru Finisshu ), Condor/Owl Towering Attack (コンドルオウルタワーリングアタック Kondoru Ōru Tawāringu Atakku ).
Gai Yuki is portrayed by Toshihide Wakamatsu (若松 俊秀 Wakamatsu Toshihide ).
- Cross Changer (クロスチェンジャー Kurosu Chenjā ): The transformation bracelet, worn on the right wrist. They transform by shouting the device's name and pressing a bird shaped button on the bracelet.
- Corresponder (コレスポンダー Koresupondā ): The communication device for the team. It contains an icon representing each members respective bird which can be placed in the "Bird Lock" (バードロック Bādo Rokku ) on the control console of the Jetmen's mecha to form Jet Ícarus. It is worn on the left wrist.
- Jet Hand Cannons (ジェットハンドカノン Jetto Hando Kanon ): A combination of the Bird Blaster and Bringer Sword. With it, the Jetmen can execute the Bird Bomber (バードボンバー Bādo Bonbā ) team attack.
- Bird Blasters (バードブラスター Bādo Burasutā ): Standard sidearm weapons.
- Bringer Swords (ブリンガーソード Buringā Sōdo ): Longswords used by the Jetmen.
- Beak Smashers (ビークスマッシャー Bīku Sumasshā ): Advanced guns with seeker lasers.
- Smash Bombers (スマッシュボンバー Sumasshu Bonbā ): A combination of the Bird Blaster and Beak Smasher. With it, the Jetmen can execute a team attack of the same name.
- Wing Gauntlet (ウィングガントレット Wingu Gantoretto ): Gauntlets equipped with electrowaves, used to perform Wing Punch (ウイングパンチ Uingu Panchi ). It can also fire Wing Beams (ウィングビーム Wingu Bīmu ).
- Jet Striker (ジェットストライカー Jetto Sutoraikā ): Red's buggy, transforms into Fire Bazooka (Faiyā Bazūka). Its maximum speed is 500 kilometers per hour.
- Jet Bouncer (ジェットバンサー Jetto Bansā ): Yellow and White's four-wheeled drive. Its maximum speed is 400 kilometers per hour.
- Jet Speeders (ジェットスピーダー Jetto Supīdā ): Black and Blue's motorcycles. Its maximum speed is 360 kilometers per hour.
- Jet Icarus (ジェットイカロス Jetto Ikarosu ): A giant robot formed with all five Jet Machine fighter jets by the command "Fusion! Scram Wing" (合体! スクラムウイング Gattai! Sukuramu Uingu ). It destroys monsters using the Birdonic Sabre (バードニックセイバー Bādonikku Seibā ). Its other weapons are the Shot Puncher (ショットパンチャー Shotto Panchā ), Icarus Crusher, Icarus Axe (イカロスアックス Icaros Akkusu ), Icarus Magna (イカロスマグナ Ikarosu Maguna ), Jet Lancer (ジェットランサー Jetto Ransā ), Jet Dagger (ジェットダガー Jetto Dagā ), and the Wing Shield (ウィングシールド Wingu Shīrudo ). It can reform into the Icarus Haken (イカロスハーケン Ikarosu Hāken ) when the command of "Fusion! Jet Scram" (合体! ジェットスクラム Gattai! Jetto Sukuramu ) is given, and its ultimate attack is the Jet Phoenix (ジェットフェニックス Jetto Fenikkusu ).
- Jet Hawk (ジェットホーク Jetto Hōku ): Red Hawk's individual Jet Machine. It forms the frontal section of the Icarus Haken, the head and chest of Jet Icarus, and the head and the center of the chest of the Great Icarus. Despite it being somewhat destroyed, it appears again in Gaoranger vs Super Sentai.
- Jet Condor (ジェットコンドル Jetto Kondoru ): Black Condor's individual Jet Machine. It forms the right rudder of the Icarus Haken, the left leg of Jet Icarus, and the left upper leg of the Great Icarus.
- It was repainted and renamed Jet Eagle (ジェットイーグル Jetto Īguru ) after Green Eagle (Jeffrey Kenzaki) replaced the slain Black Condor in the manga.
- Jet Owl (ジェットオウル Jetto Ōru ): Yellow Owl's individual Jet Machine. It forms the right wing of the Icarus Haken, the right arm of Jet Icarus, and the right upper arm of the Great Icarus.
- Jet Swan (ジェットスワン Jetto Suwan ): White Swan's individual Jet Machine. It forms the left rudder of the Icarus Haken, the right leg of Jet Icarus, and the right upper leg of the Great Icarus.
- Jet Swallow (ジェットスワロー Jetto Suwarō ): Blue Swallow's individual Jet Machine. It forms the left wing of the Icarus Haken, the left arm of Jet Icaros and the Wing Shield, and the left upper arm of the Great Icaros.
- Jet Garuda (ジェットガルーダ Jetto Garūda ): Jetman's second robot that transforms from an airship called the Bird Garuda (バードガルーダ Bādo Garūda ). Actually an alien space-ship built and manned by the three survivors of the Kingdom of Dimensia, one of the many dimensional planes conquered by Vyram. When the command "Transformation! Jet Garuda" (変形! ジェットガルーダ Henkei! Jetto Garūda ) is given, the cockpit of the Bird Garuda forms the head, the tailfins become the back, the rear intakes become the feet, and the forward engines are the shoulders (the forearms and lower legs slide back). It forms the headdress, body (with Jet Hawk as the center), forearms, and lower legs of the Great Icarus and attaches to the rear of the Icarus Haken to form the Hyper Haken. It is armed with the Dia Blizzard (ダイヤブリザード Daiya Burizādo , Dia meaning "diamond"), Wing Slasher (ウィングスラッシャー Wingu Surasshā ), Garud Searcher (ガルドサーチャー Garudo Sāchā ) and the Garuda Burst (ガルーダバースト Garūda Bāsuto ). Its finishing attack is the Garuda Claw (ガルーダクロー Garūda Kurō ). It was made by Dimensia Fighters Ray, Kanna and Dan. It was destroyed in the final battle, but is shown rebuilt in the sequel manga.
- Great Icarus (グレートイカロス Gurēto Ikarosu ): The combination of the Jet Icarus and Jet Garuda into a powerful robot, formed from the command "Fusion! Great Scram" (合体! グレートスクラム Gattai! Gurēto Sukuramu ), and armed with Great Beam (グレートビーム Gurēto Bīmu ). It destroys monsters with its ultimate finishing attack, the Bird Maser (バードメーザー Bādo Mēzā ). When the command "Fusion! Haken Scram" (合体! ハーケンスクラム Gattai! Hāken Sukuramu ) is given, it can reform into the Hyper Haken (ハイパーハーケン Haipā Hāken , Haken is German for "hook" or "mark"). It is armed with the Hyper Buster (ハイパーバスター Haipā Basutā ) and its finishing attack is the Hyper G Attack (ハイパー・G・アタック Haipā Jī Atakku ). It was first used to destroy the monster Semimaru.
- Tetra Boy (テトラボーイ Tetorabōi ): An AI-gifted robot specialized in quick movements and boxing attacks. It can transform into the Tetra Buster (テトラバスター Tetorabasutā ) cannon, used by Jet Icarus or Jet Garuda. It is rendered useless by Raguem after he severs the Tetra Boy's arms in the final battle.
Commander Aya Odagiri (小田切綾長官 Odagiri Aya-chōkan ): The first female commander of Sentai. She is good at martial arts, and the inventor of the team vehicles. She can be both caring and severe to the Jetmen, and the most important thing to her is the life of her underlings, so much that she is willing to fight in the line of fire if necessary. Her subordinates call her "Chōkan". She pilots Jet Garuda when necessary such as in the final battle.
Commander Aya Odagiri is portrayed by Mikiko Miki (三輝 みきこ Miki Mikiko ).
Supreme Commander Ichijō
Supreme Commander Ichijō (40-41): A Sky Force officer who cares only for himself and bears a grudge against Aya for being the commanding officer in the Jetmen project. With his Neo-Jetmen, Ichijō takes command of Aya's station, bent on making her suffer while removing her Jetmen from the picture. However, after his true colors are revealed, Ichijō is removed from his position before being attacked by Meteor BEM.
- Neo Jetman (ネオジェットマン Neo Jettoman ) (40-41): J1 through J5, team created by Supreme Commander Ichijō to replace the Jetmen, having Birdonic Reactors implanted in bodies. J1 (Yūta Mochizuki who later went on to play Geki/Tyranno Ranger in Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger) armed with the Neo Sword, J2 armed with the Neo Stinger scythe, J4 armed with the Neo Slicer boomerang, all wield Neo Shōoter guns and Neo Mine grenades, and their group attack is the Flare Buster twin cannon. They eventually give the Birdonic energies to the Jetmen in order to restore their powers. In the sequel manga, they are shown repowered and in charge of protecting Japan after the original Jetman's powers have faded over time. Ultimately they make way for the true Jetman once again.
- Back Dimension Dimensian Soldiers (裏次元ディメンシアンの戦士 Urajigen Dimenshia no Senshi ) (23-24): The last three warriors of Dimensia, a realm destroyed by Vyram. The group composed of Ray (レイ Rei ) (played by Yasuhiro Ishiwata, who previously played Bun/Blue Flash from Chōshinsei Flashman), his lover Kanna (カンナ Kanna )(Kanako Maeda, formerly Momoko/Pink Mask in Hikari Sentai Maskman), and the youthful Dan (ダン Dan ) (Hideki Fujiwara, who went on to play Dan/Tricera Ranger in Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger), they chased Vyram to Earth with the Bird Garuda. While Ray and Kanna work with the Jetmen in their fight against Semimaru, Dan becomes romantically interested at Ako when they meet, causing him to express his feelings in a comical fashion. After Ray and Kanna are killed by Radiguet when he hijacks Jet Garuda, Dan assumes his fighting form and is mortally wounded taking the robot back from Radiguet. He dies soon after Ako expresses her feelings about him.
- Back Dimension Berserker Soldiers (裏次元ベルセルクの戦士 Urajigen Beruseruku no Senshi ) (29): The two warriors from Berserk, a realm destroyed by Vyram force under Radiguet whose people can transmutate any item into weapons, though they can disard that very power to heal. Arriving to Earth, while Duran (デュラン Dyuran ) is cared for by the Jetmen, Lou (ルー Rū ) attempts to kill Radiguet. However, after Lu realizes the error of her ways and Duran is saved from the control of the monster Armor Snake, the two leave Earth to find a world they can find peace in.
Dimensional War Party Vyram
The Dimensional War Party Vyram (次元戦団バイラム Jigen Sendan Bairamu ) appears as a clan of outer-dimensional nobles, who conquered many worlds in the Back Dimension, and are now moving on to Front Dimension, ours. They boast about having achieved godhood, while they despise humans and see them as stupid and worthless. Their base of operations is the Vylock (バイロック Bairokku ), a brain-shaped castle capable of traversing dimensions and sending its forces to Earth due to its Dimensional Transfer Machine. After their leader got lost in the Back Dimension, its four leading members compete in a game to defeat the Jetmen with the prize being full-leadership. Tran eventually becomes powerful enough to assume command, but is deposed by Radiguet, who leads Vyram up to its destruction.
Back Dimensional Count Radiguet
Back Dimensional Count Radiguet (裏次元伯爵ラディゲ Urajigen Hakushaku Radige ): A cold-hearted officer who is the nearest presence to a leader of Vyram, refusing to acknowledge anyone above and will do anything to accomplish his goals including being the one who kills the Jetmen. In battle, Radiguet wields the Demon Sword Bloody Gate (魔剣ブラディゲート Maken Buradi Gēto ) and can transform into his true form, Radigan (ラディガン Radigan ), when enraged. When Juuza returned to power, Radiguet attempts to kill her and ends being punished for his treachery by living as a human with no memory of his life in Vyram. Cared for by Saki, a girl on the verge of death, Radiguet unconsciously saves her life with his power. But though he wanted nothing to do with his past, Radiguet eventually regains his memories and helps the Jetmen in fighting Juuza. After killing Juuza to acquire Semimaru, Radiguet kills Saki to discard his humanity before nurturing Semimaru to assume its adult form though it was destroyed by the Great Icarus. Radiguet later attempt to bring the Majin under his control, managing to succeed with Ramon when he absorbed Gorg. When Tranza takes over the Vyram throne, Radiguet attempts to kill him off, only to be made an example of by the stronger opponent and forced into humbling himself before Tranza. Baring a terrible grudge against Tranza since then, Radiguet allied himself with Maria and Grey to summon the meteor used to create Meteor BEM to take out the Jetmen, enraged to find Tranza used his plan as a springboard from his own scheme. Attempting to sabotage Veronica, Radiguet is hooked up to have his life force sucked out. However, instead of having the life sucked out of him, Radiguet drains Veronica's power. Later, after using the Jetmen to do his dirty work, Radiquet tortures Tranza before breaking his mind and leaving him powerless, becoming Vyram's leader. Ultimately, the side effects of his power boost manifest in his newly gained giant form, the armored Raguem (ラゲム Ragemu ) (48), (50-51). After killing Rie so Red Hawk could not have her, Radiguet battles him until the other Jetmen arrive. After the five Jetmen defeat him, Radiguet assumes his Raguem form which not even the Great Icarus is a match for until the Tetra Boy exposes the weak point Rie made. To counter their advantage over him, Raguem assimilates the Vylock into armor that he uses to overpower Tetra Boy. The Great Icarus separates and Ryu uses Jet Garuda to rip the armor off and the others destroy both Jet Garuda and Raguem. Radiguet says that he will continue to curse the Jetmen for eternity from the Back Dimension before he explodes.
Back Dimensional Count Radiguet is portrayed by Daisuke Tachi (舘 大介 Tachi Daisuke ).
Tran (トラン Toran ) (1-36) / Emperor Tranza (帝王トランザ Teiō Toranza ) (36-47): A psychokinetic child who suggested a game to settle who would be Vyram's new leader. He specialized into creating toy-ish monsters to satisfy his fun desires, and thought both enemy or ally fatalities as "just part of the fun". Being the youngest of the Vyram was a big complex to him until his failed attempt to take out the Jetmen during their retreat to the Yamada Ranch was the last straw. The constant anger became unbearable to the point of Tran using it energy to undergo a super-rapid growth. With his new-found power and maturity, Tranza easily defeats both his comrades and Jetmen for underestimating him before seizing leadership of Vyram. In addition to his psychokinetic powers, and new-found arrogant nature, he can now assume disguises and wields the Boltranza (ボルトランザ Borutoranza ) rapier. After his Veronica scheme was ruined by Radiguet, after completing his new Bio Gun, Tranza heads out to hunt both him and Jetmen down. Fighting the entire Jetman team on his own, Tranza uses his Bio Gun to turn each Jetman member into a trophy portrait until only Ryu remained. However, with Radiguet aiding Red Hawk before betraying him, the Bio Gun is destroyed and the others are freed as they use Jet Bazooka on Tranza. Though he survives the attacks, Radiguet tortures Tranza before sparring him to live in misery in a catatonic state at a mental institution.
Maria (マリア Maria ) (1-49): She was formerly known as Rie Aoi (藍リエ Aoi Rie ), ranked Sky Forcer W3, a love interest of Ryu's who plays the piano. Though originally to be a Jetman, Vyram's attack on the Earth Ship resulted with Rei being sucked into space. However, Rie is saved by Radiguet, who brainwashed her to be devoid of her memories as a human and made an official of Vyram. However, though he loved her and tells her that she is his, Maria defies Radiguet to suit her own agenda to be leader of Vyram. She loves to battle, and her methods are cruel and cold. She is armed with the Necrod, which has sword, gun, and whip modes. The monsters created by her were often motivated by envy, and attacked mainly women. Since the Camera Jigen incident, unconsciously playing the piano, Maria develops a relationship with Grey. Since then, she played piano music for Grey despite not knowing why, untiæ her identity was found out and the relationship got difficult. Grey was willing to let her go if it made her happy. During the Majin incident, Maria momentarily reverted to Rie until Radiguet forced her back to her Vyram persona with a vendetta against Red Hawk. Eventually forfeiting their contest, Maria accepts Radiguet's proposal of ruling by his side in return of becoming even stronger than she is now. As a result, Maria is infected by a parasite born from Radiguet's blood that turns her into a vampiric being as she targets men, though unaware that she would transform into mindless puppet overtime. While fighting Ryu, Maria assumes her monstrous form as she battles Red Hawk before assuming Rie's appearance to catch him off guard as the parasite transfers itself to Ryu in order to have him take out the Jetmen. While Ryu manages to return to normal, Maria is in the final stage of her transformation as she defeats the other Jetmen before Ryu arrives and manages to reach Rie, causing Maria to remember her true self as she reverts to her true form. When Radiguet comes to reclaim her, Rie fakes her death in order to stab him in the back before he mortally wounds her so no one else can have her. Refusing to have Ryu save her, Rie asks him to forget all about her as Grey spirits her away to spend her final moments with the android's arms repeating Ryu's name. Her ghost later appeared in the finale, saying goodbye to Ryu after his marriage to Kaori.
Maria is portrayed by Maho Maruyama (丸山 真穂 Maho Maruyama ).
Grey (グレイ Gurei ) (1-50): A robot who ironically was always the most reasoning one in Vyram. He is armed with the Grey Cannon (グレイキャノン Gurei Kyanon ), Mulshot Gun (マルショットガン Marushotto Gan ), and Hand Greyzer (ハンドグレイザー Hando Gureizā ). Despite being a robot, he showed human feelings, especially love for wine, music, cigarettes, and particularly Maria, learning to play the piano from example. As a result, Grey supports Maria in shielding her when fighting Jetman, seeing Gai Yuki as an ideal rival. Learning of Radiguet's plan for her, Grey attempts to talk Maria out of it to no avail. This forces Grey to ask the Jetmen to save Maria. However, he instead takes her dying body away as he takes her death hard. With nothing to live for other than his code as a soldier, Grey calls Gai out in a final match. Eventually, Grey is mortally damaged as Gai lit his one last cigarette as a sign of acknowledgment as a worthy rival before Grey shuts down.
Grey is portrayed by Hideaki Kusaka (日下 秀昭 Kusaka Hideaki ).
Empress Juuza (女帝ジューザ Jotei Jūza ) (17-18): The previous ruler of Vyram, referring to herself as the mother of all creation, Juuza along her underlings Radiguet, Grey, and Tran had conquered the Reverse dimension's worlds. While able to use telekinesis and breathe fire in her human form, Juuza can assume a Demon Beast form where she fires bullets from her fingers and shock-waves and beams from her mouth. Thought to be dead in the last battle in the back dimension, she actually went under a long sleep to regain her strength after acquiring the Semimaru and incubating it, and came to Earth via a meteorite. She makes her presence known by causing a momentary blackout across the city. By the time the Jetmen investigate, finding Radiguet as he was about to kill her while asleep, Juuza emerges and resumes control of Vyram. She then proceeds to turn every human in the city into a crystal pillar so she can feed Semimaru. The Jetmen nearly lose to her as Gai is affected by Juuza's spell. After banishing Radiguet for his treachery, Juuza resumes her attack as the Jetmen battle her before Gai succumbs to Juuza's spell. With some unexpected assistance from Radiguet, the Jetmen destroy her forehead crystal to free everyone she turned into crystal. Enraged that her face is scarred, Juuza assumes her Demon Beast form as the rest of Vyram and Black Condor join the fight against her as the Jetmen use the Fire Bazooka to defeat her. Near death, she is killed by Radiguet when he jabs his sword onto her throat just before Semimaru hatched.
Grinam Soldiers (グリナム兵 Gurinamu Hei ): The black-skinned grunts born from Grinam seeds. They are armed with axes and capable of launching explosive shells from their hands. The group were later summoned by Zaigan during Super Sentai World.
The dimensional beasts consist of various different types of monsters created by the Dimensional War Party Vyram. A list of dimensional beasts can be found below.
- Seek the Warriors (戦士を探せ Senshi o Sagase )
- The Third Warrior (第三の戦士 Daisan no Senshi )
- The Power of Five (五つの力 Itsutsu no Chikara )
- The Fighting Bride (戦う花嫁 Tatakau Hanayome )
- Fall for Me (俺に惚れろ Ore ni Horero )
- Get Angry, Robo! (怒れロボ！ Ikare Robo! )
- Ryu's Marriage!? (竜の結婚！？ Ryū no Kekkon!? )
- The Laughing Diamond (笑うダイヤ Warau Daiya )
- Muddy Love (泥んこの恋 Doronko no Koi )
- Cup Noodles (カップめん Kappu Men )
- A Dangerous Game (危険な遊び Kiken na Asobi )
- Hellbound Bus (地獄行バス Jigokuyuki Basu )
- Maze of Love (愛の迷路 Ai no Meiro )
- Love's Deadly Bazooka (愛の必殺砲（バズーカ） Ai no Hissatsu Bazūka )
- High School Student Warrior (高校生戦士 Kōkōsei Senshi )
- The Papers' Revolution (紙々の叛乱 Kamigami no Hanran )
- The Revived Empress (復活の女帝 Fukkatsu no Jotei )
- Gai Dies! (凱、死す！ Gai, Shisu! )
- I Can See! (見えます！ Miemasu! )
- Marriage Vacuum Cleaner (結婚掃除機 Kekkon Sōjiki )
- Walking Garbage (歩くゴミ Aruku Gomi )
- Exploding Love (爆発する恋 Bakuhatsu Suru Koi )
- A New Squadron Debuts (新戦隊登場 Shin Sentai Tōjō )
- Launch, Super Robot (出撃超（スーパー）ロボ Shutsugeki Sūpā Robo )
- The Laughing Shadow-People (笑う影人間 Warau Kage Ningen )
- I'm a Primitive (僕は原始人 Boku wa Genshijin )
- The Great Escape From Hell (魔界大脱出 Makai Dai Dasshutsu )
- The Founding Dimensional Beast (元祖次元獣 Ganso Jigenjū )
- The Final Battle (最後の戦い Saigo no Tatakai )
- The Three Majin Stand (三魔神起つ San Majin Tatsu )
- The Squadron Disbands (戦隊解散！ Sentai Kaisan! )
- Wings!! One More Time (翼よ！再び Tsubasa yo! Futatabi )
- It's a Cockroach (ゴキブリだ Gokiburi Da )
- Traitorous Ryu (裏切りの竜 Uragiri no Ryū )
- The Fighting Courage Given by a Dove (鳩がくれた戦う勇気 Hato ga Kureta Tatakau Yūki )
- A Walking Appetite! Ant-People (歩く食欲！アリ人間 Aruku Shokuyoku! Ari Ningen )
- Birth! Emperor Tranza (誕生！帝王トランザ Tanjō! Teiō Toranza )
- Sudden Hammer! (いきなりハンマー！ Ikinari Hanmā! )
- Spin, Roulette of Life (廻せ命のルーレット Mawase Inochi no Rūretto )
- Command! Change the Squadron (命令！戦隊交代せよ Meirei! Sentai Kōtai Seyo )
- Transformation Impossible! The Base Destroyed (変身不能！基地壊滅 Henshin Funō! Kichi Kaimetsu )
- Sleep on My Chest! (おれの胸で眠れ！ Ore no Mune de Nemure! )
- Sneak into the Commander's Body (長官の体に潜入せよ Chōkan no Karada ni Sennyū Seyo )
- Majin Robot! Veronica (魔神ロボ！ベロニカ Majin Robo! Beronika )
- Victorious Hot Milk (勝利のホットミルク Shōri no Hotto Miruku )
- The Tomato Field's Great Demon King (トマト畑の大魔王 Tomato-batake no Daimaō )
- Emperor Tranza's Glory (帝王トランザの栄光 Teiō Toranza no Eikō )
- A Kiss That Calls Death (死を呼ぶくちづけ Shi o Yobu Kuchizuke )
- Maria... Her Love and Death (マリア…その愛と死 Maria… Sono Ai to Shi )
- Respective Battles to the Death (それぞれの死闘 Sorezore no Shitō )
- Flap Your Wings! Birdmen! (はばたけ！鳥人よ Habatake! Chōjin yo )
- Ryu Tendoh (天堂 竜 Tendō Ryū ): Kotaro Tanaka (田中 弘太郎 Tanaka Kotaro )
- Kaori Rokumeikan (鹿鳴館 香 Rokumeikan Kaori ): Rika Kishida (岸田 里佳 Kishida Rika )
- Raita Oishi (大石 雷太 Ōishi Raita ): Ikko Tadano (ただの いっこ Tadano Ikko ) (Credited under Tomihisa Naruse (成瀬 富久 Naruse Tomihisa ))
- Ako Hayasaka (早坂 アコ Hayasaka Ako ): Sayuri Uchida (内田 さゆり Uchida Sayuri )
- Gai Yuki (結城 凱 Yūki Gai ): Toshihide Wakamatsu (若松 俊秀 Wakamatsu Toshihide )
- Commander Aya Odagiri (小田切綾長官 Odagiri Aya-chōkan ): Mikiko Miki (三輝 みきこ Miki Mikiko )
- Jiiya: Yuzo Hayakawa (早川 雄三 Hayakawa Yūzō )
- Rie Aoi (藍リエ Aoi Rie )/Maria (マリア Maria ): Maho Maruyama (丸山 真穂 Maho Maruyama )
- Back Dimensional Count Radiguet (裏次元伯爵ラディゲ Urajigen Hakushaku Radige ): Daisuke Tachi (舘 大介 Tachi Daisuke )
- Tran (トラン Toran ): Miku Kuga (久我 未来 Kuga Miku )
- Emperor Tranza (帝王トランザ Teiō Toranza ) : Yutaka Hirose (広瀬 裕 Hirose Yūtaka )
- Grey (グレイ Gurei ): Hideaki Kusaka (日下 秀昭 Kusaka Hideaki , also Voice)
- Narrator: Tsutomu Tareki (垂木 勉 Tareki Tsutomu )
- Emiko:Yoshiko Noda (野田よしこ Noda Yoshiko , 7)
- Kyotaro Tatsumi: Masaki Terasoma (てらそま まさき Terasoma Masaki , 8)
- Bus Passenger: Mayumi Yoshida (吉田 真弓 Yoshida Mayumi , 12)
- Juuza: Sachiko Yuto (高都 幸子 Yūto Sachiko , 17-18)
- Kaori Rokumeikan (child): Yuka Koide (小出由華 Koide Yuka , 19)
- Michiru: Nagiko Tono (遠野なぎこ Tono Nagiko , 20)
- Ray: Jouji Ishiwata (石渡 譲二 Ishiwata Jōji , 23-24)
- Kanna: Kanako Maeda (前田 賀奈子 Maeda Kanako , 23-24)
- Dan: Hideki Fujiwara (藤原 秀樹 Fujiwara Hideki , 23-24)
- Scientist: Daisuke Ban (伴 大介 33 )
- Akira: Haruki Hamada (浜田 治貴 Hamda Haruki , 38)
- Supreme Commander Akira Ichijo: Hideaki Tezuka (手塚秀彰 Tezuka Hideaki , 40-41)
- J1/Neo Jetman 1: Yūta Mochizuki (望月 祐多 Mochizuki Yūta , 40-41)
- J2/Neo Jetman 2: Ryuji Kasahara (笠原竜司 Kasahara Ryūji , 40-41)
- J3/Neo Jetman 3: Minoru Watanabe (渡辺実 Watanabe Minoru , 40-41)
- J4/Neo Jetman 4: Takeshi Miyazaki ( 40-41)
- J5/Neo Jetman 5: Miyuki Nagato (長門美由樹 Nagato Miyuki , 40-41)
- Red Hawk: Kazuo Niibori (新堀 和男 Niibori Kazuo ), Hiroshi Maeda (前田 浩 Maeda Hiroshi )
- Yellow Owl: Hirofumi Ishigaki (石垣 広文 Ishigaki Hirofumi ), Tomihisa Naruse
- Black Condor: Naoki Ōfuji (大藤直樹 Ōfuji Naoki )
- White Swan: Yūichi Hachisuka (蜂須賀 祐一 Hachisuka Yūichi ), Masato Akada (赤田 昌人 Akada Masato )
- Blue Swallow: Shōji Hachisuka (蜂須賀 昭二 Hachisuka Shōji )
- Tetra Boy: Yasuhiro Takeuchi (竹内 康博 Takeuchi Yasuhiro )
- Jet Icarus, Jet Garuda, Great Icarus: Hideaki Kusaka (日下 秀昭 Kusaka Hideaki )
- Dimensional Beasts: Takeshi Miyazaki (宮崎 剛 Miyazaki Takeshi )
- Opening theme
- "Chōjin Sentai Jetman" (鳥人戦隊ジェットマン Chōjin Sentai Jettoman )
- Ending theme
- "Kokoro wa Tamago" (こころはタマゴ, "The Heart is an Egg")
- Lyrics: Toyohisa Araki
- Composition: Kōji Tsuno
- Arrangement: Kenji Yamamoto
- Artist: Hironobu Kageyama
The series was dubbed in Tagalog and televised on RPN-9 in the mid-to-late 1990s.
The series was aired and dubbed in French partially and then cancelled, due to its more violent nature (blood, violent deaths and torture scenes) than any other sentai.
Following the conclusion of the TV series, the series main screenwriter, Toshiki Inoue, wrote a trilogy of Jetman novels from 1992 to 1995 that retold the events of the TV series. They were published by Shogakukan under their "Super Quest Bunko" imprint. The titles were:
- Ore ni Horero (俺に惚れろ, "Fall in Love with Me") - ISBN 4-09-440031-1 (1992/10/20)
- Bakuhatsu Suru Koi (爆発する恋, "Explosive Passion") - ISBN 4-09-440032-X (1993/07/20)
- Ore no Mune ni Nemure (俺の胸で眠れ, "Sleep On My Chest") - ISBN 4-09-440033-8 (1995/01/01)
The novels were written specifically for adult fans of the TV series and include mature content, such as detailed descriptions of sexual intercourse between Ryū and Rie, Gai and Kaori, and Radiguet and Maria. Empress Jūza, a one-off villain in the series, has an extended role while the Dimensional Beasts and giant robots are eliminated, with the Jetmen fighting humans subjected to the Vyram's experiments instead.
A manga sequel to Jetman was published in 1996 authored by Akiko Fujii, in cooperation with the series' writing team (still under the Saburo Yatsude pen name). It was titled Chōjin Sentai Jetman: Toki o Kakete (鳥人戦隊ジェットマン 時を駆けて, "Time Flies"). Set five years after the series (and, therefore, two years after the story ends), it shows the four remaining Jetmen rejoining to battle a revived Radiguet, who had possessed Tranza's broken body. Radiguet kidnaps Ryu and Kaori's one-year-old daughter Aya Tendoh and, much in the same way he turned Rie into Maria before, he accelerates her growth and brainwashes her into becoming Ruma, whom he considers a daughter. Meanwhile, Gai's empty spot in the team is filled by a young rock guitarist called Jeff Kensaki, who is empowered by Birdonic Waves after a meteorite crashes next to him, and becomes Green Eagle. In this manga series, the Jetmen uniform is slightly different, with the helmets more closely resembling those of Gatchaman (translucent, protruding visors, and uncovered faces).
A video game version of Chōjin Sentai Jetman was released for the Famicom on December 21, 1991. The game was published by Angel (a subsidiary of Bandai) and developed by Natsume. It is a single-player side-scrolling action game where the player assumes role one of the Jetmen members as they fight against the forces of Vyram. The player can choose which Jetman they want to control at the start of each stage, each having their own weapon and maximum hit points:
- Red Hawk and Black Condor: Bringer Sword, 8 hit points
- Yellow Owl: Wing Gauntlet, 7 hit points
- Blue Swallow and White Swan: Bird Blasters, 6 hit points
The initial five stages, Area A to Area E, can be played in any order, while the sixth and final stage, Area F, becomes available once the others have cleared. Each stage begins with a standard side-scrolling level in which the player fight their way to the end of level in order to reach the stage's boss. Each Jetman has three types of attack: a weapon attack, a kick, and a special attack that destroys all enemies, but can only be used once (unless a replenishment is found). The boss segments consists of one-on-one battles between the team's giant robot, the Great Icarus, and a giant monster (all based on monsters from the show). The player has a four-level power gauge that will gradually fill up during the course of battle, which can be used to perform one of four possible special attacks.
The following is a list of bosses in the game and the stages where they appear:
- Mirror Jigen (Area A)
- Camera Jigen (Area B)
- Bus Jigen (Area C)
- Light Armadillo (Area D)
- Dimensional Mammoth (Area E)
- Destruction Beast Semimaru (Area F)
The game features four difficulty settings, a password option, and a Battle Mode where the player can fight against any of the first five bosses.
- Chōjin (鳥人?) translates as "Bird-Man" or "Bird Person".
- The year is only addressed as "199X", but is later shown to be 1991, notably through Rie's tombstone.
- The kana イカロス is normally used as a Japanese transliteration of the Greek name Íkaros, rather than the Latin name Icarus, which is transliterated as イカルス. However, the DX Chōgōkin toy version of the robot released by Bandai and the Famicom video game by Angel both use the name "Icarus" when the name is spelled in Roman script.
- "Chōjin Sentai Jetman at GameFAQs".