Chris Avellone in Manila in 2009
|Born||citation needed]September 27, 1971 [|
|Occupation||Game designer, comic book writer|
He is an alumnus of the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, VA. He went on to study at The College of William & Mary, graduating with a major in English and a minor in fine arts, focused on architecture.
Working initially as a freelancer in the two years after college, Avellone wrote campaigns for Dungeons & Dragons-inspired fantasy role-playing games. After entering the video game industry through the company Interplay in 1995, he briefly worked on the development of the 1997 title Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. In 1997 he took over the development of Descent to Undermountain, which he later called a disappointment. Avellone contributed to the 1998 game Fallout 2 and continued to work on its franchise.
Interplay acquired the rights to produce a role-playing video game set in the Planescape campaign setting of Dungeons & Dragons with the development led by Avellone. The 1999 game Planescape: Torment removed character death as a motive and also won acclaim for its narrative.
Avellone worked on all the titles of the Icewind Dale fantasy role-playing game series, which were released from 2000 to 2002. As a designer Avellone contributed to the fantasy titles Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001), Champions of Norrath (2004) and led the design of the cancelled Fallout title Van Buren, after which he resigned from Interplay and joined Obsidian Entertainment. For the company Avellone worked on the role-playing games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (2004) and Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006) and on the action role-playing game Alpha Protocol. He also worked as a senior designer on Fallout: New Vegas.
Notable game credits 
- Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (1997)
- Fallout 2 (1998)
- Descent to Undermountain (1998)
- Planescape: Torment (1999)
- Icewind Dale (2000)
- Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (2001)
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001)
- Icewind Dale II (2002)
- Van Buren (Fallout 3) (2003 - canceled)
- Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (2003)
- Champions of Norrath (2004)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2004/2005)
- Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006)
- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007)
- Alpha Protocol (2010)
- Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
- Wasteland 2 (2013)
- Project Eternity (2014)
- Torment: Tides of Numenera (2015)
Comic book credits 
Star Wars comics:
- Unseen, Unheard (2005)
- Heroes on Both Sides (2006)
- Impregnable (2007)
- Old Scores (2007)
- Graduation Day (2007)
- All Roads (2010, part of the Fallout: New Vegas collector's edition)
- Chmielewski, Dawn C. (August 15, 2000). "The writer Chris Avellone, senior designer, Black Isle Studios". The Orange County Register. p. K7.
- "Chris Avellone: Dark Knight". Edge. April 20, 2009. Retrieved November 14, 2009.
- GameStar.ru Alma Mater — Kickstarter. Chris Avellone: «Project: Eternity is our chance to return to doing the types of titles we did at Black Isle»
- Tsao, Jennifer (March 2005). "Afterthoughts: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords; Behind the scenes with the real Jedi masters", Electronic Gaming Monthly (189): 52–54.
- "Wasteland 2 Kickstarter".
- "Project Eternity Kickstarter".
- "Torment: Tides of numenera Kickstarter".
- Chris Avellone's profile at MobyGames
- Chris Avellone on Myspace
- Chris Avellone at The Vault, the Fallout wiki
- Chris Avellone on Twitter
- The Guardian interview with Chris Avellone