Chris Avellone in Manila in 2009
|Born||citation needed]September 27, 1971 [|
|Occupation||Game designer, comic book writer|
He is an alumnus of the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, VA. He went on to study at The College of William & Mary, graduating with a major in English and a minor in fine arts, focused on architecture.
Working initially as a freelancer in the two years after college, Avellone wrote campaigns for Dungeons & Dragons-inspired fantasy role-playing games. After entering the video game industry through the company Interplay in 1995, he briefly worked on the development of the 1997 title Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. In 1997 he took over the development of Descent to Undermountain, which he later called a disappointment. Avellone contributed to the 1998 game Fallout 2 and continued to work on its franchise.
Interplay acquired the rights to produce a role-playing video game set in the Planescape campaign setting of Dungeons & Dragons with the development led by Avellone. The 1999 game Planescape: Torment removed character death as a motive and also won acclaim for its narrative.
Avellone worked on all the titles of the Icewind Dale fantasy role-playing game series, which were released from 2000 to 2002. As a designer Avellone contributed to the fantasy titles Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001), Champions of Norrath (2004) and led the design of the cancelled Fallout title Van Buren, after which he resigned from Interplay and co-founded Obsidian Entertainment. For the company Avellone worked on the role-playing games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (2004) and Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006) and on the action role-playing game Alpha Protocol. He also worked as a senior designer on Fallout: New Vegas.
Notable game credits
- Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (1997)
- Fallout 2 (1998)
- Descent to Undermountain (1998)
- Planescape: Torment (1999)
- Icewind Dale (2000)
- Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (2001)
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001)
- Icewind Dale II (2002)
- Van Buren (Fallout 3) (2003 - canceled)
- Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (2003)
- Champions of Norrath (2004)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2004)
- Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006)
- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007)
- Alpha Protocol (2010)
- Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
- Wasteland 2 (TBA)
- Pillars of Eternity (2014)
- FTL: Advanced Edition (2014)
- Torment: Tides of Numenera (2015)
Comic book credits
Star Wars comics:
- Unseen, Unheard (2005)
- Heroes on Both Sides (2006)
- Impregnable (2007)
- Old Scores (2007)
- Graduation Day (2007)
- All Roads (2010, part of the Fallout: New Vegas collector's edition)
- Chmielewski, Dawn C. (August 15, 2000). "The writer Chris Avellone, senior designer, Black Isle Studios". The Orange County Register. p. K7.
- "Chris Avellone: Dark Knight". Edge. April 20, 2009. Retrieved November 14, 2009.
- GameStar.ru Alma Mater — Kickstarter. Chris Avellone: «Project: Eternity is our chance to return to doing the types of titles we did at Black Isle»
- Tsao, Jennifer (March 2005). "Afterthoughts: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords; Behind the scenes with the real Jedi masters", Electronic Gaming Monthly (189): 52–54.
- "Wasteland 2 Kickstarter".
- "Project Eternity Kickstarter".
- "FTL: Advanced Edition Review".
- "Torment: Tides of numenera Kickstarter".
- Chris Avellone's profile at MobyGames
- Chris Avellone on Myspace
- Chris Avellone at The Vault, the Fallout wiki
- Chris Avellone on Twitter
- The Guardian interview with Chris Avellone