May 27, 1981 |
San Jose, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8.9 st)|
|Reach||63.0 in (160 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Tucson, AZ|
|Team||Rise Combat Sports|
|Years active||2006 – present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Chris Vincent Cariaso (born May 27, 1981) is a Filipino-American mixed martial artist who competes as a Flyweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of 22 July 2014, he is #8 in official UFC flyweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Since turning professional in 2006, Cariaso has competed in several organizations, obtaining wins in large MMA promotions such as Strikeforce and EliteXC, with all of his fights taking place in his native Northern California.
ISCF - International Sport Combat Federation
Cariaso won the ISCF Bantamweight Title on October 24th, 2009 when he defeated Rolando Velasco by TKO at 3:17 of round 2 due to strikes.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Cariaso was expected to face Norifumi Yamamoto on May 28, 2011 at UFC 130. However, Yamamoto was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Michael McDonald. Cariaso lost a hard fought split decision to McDonald in a closely contested fight.
Cariaso was expected to face Kyoji Horiguchi on February 1, 2014 at UFC 169. However, Horoguchi pulled out of the bout citing injury and was replaced by WEC veteran Danny Martinez. Cariaso won the fight via unanimous decision.
A rescheduled bout with Kyoji Horiguchi was expected to take place on September 20, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 52. However, on July 15, 2014 it was announced that Cariaso would receive a title shot against UFC Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson in the co-main event of UFC 177. On August 12, the Johnson/Cariaso bout was moved to the main event of UFC 178. Cariaso lost the bout via submission due to a kimura in the second round.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|24 matches||17 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||17–7||Henry Cejudo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 185||March 14, 2015||3||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Loss||17–6||Demetrious Johnson||Submission (kimura)||UFC 178||September 27, 2014||2||2:29||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Flyweight Championship|
|Win||17–5||Louis Smolka||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||3||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Win||16–5||Danny Martinez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 169||February 1, 2014||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||15–5||Iliarde Santos||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields||October 9, 2013||2||4:31||Barueri, Brazil|
|Loss||14–5||Jussier Formiga||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||3||5:00||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Loss||14–4||John Moraga||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 155||December 29, 2012||3||1:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–3||Josh Ferguson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Flyweight debut|
|Win||13–3||Takeya Mizugaki||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 144||February 26, 2012||3||5:00||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||12–3||Vaughan Lee||Decision (split)||UFC 138||November 5, 2011||3||5:00||Birmingham, England, United Kingdom|
|Loss||11–3||Michael McDonald||Decision (split)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–2||Will Campuzano||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 2||January 22, 2011||3||5:00||Fort Hood, Texas, United States|
|Loss||10–2||Renan Barão||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 53||December 16, 2010||1||3:47||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||10–1||Rafael Rebello||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 49||June 20, 2010||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||9–1||Rolando Velasco||TKO (punches)||LTD: Rumble in Richmond||October 24, 2009||2||3:17||Richmond, California, United States||Won ISCF World Title|
|Win||8–1||Alvin Cacdac||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WCSC: The Awakening||May 30, 2009||1||3:56||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Win||7–1||Anthony Figueroa||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Thomson||June 17, 2008||2||4:34||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||6–1||Mark Oshiro||TKO (punches)||ShoXC 6||March 21, 2008||1||2:38||Friant, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Rick McCorkell||Decision (unanimous)||ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series||October 26, 2007||3||5:00||Santa Ynez, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Anthony Figueroa||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Baroni||June 22, 2007||3||3:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||David Barrios||KO (head kick)||CCFC: Total Elimination||May 12, 2007||2||1:34||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Andrew Valladerez||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Young Guns||February 10, 2007||3||3:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Walt Hughes||Decision (unanimous)||Warrior Cup 1||August 12, 2006||3||5:00||Stockton, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ralph Alvarado||Decision (unanimous)||ICFO 1: Stockton||May 13, 2006||3||5:00||Stockton, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 185 Pettis vs. Dos Anjos". UFC.com. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "UFC Fighter Rankings". UFC. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Newcomer Chris Cariaso meets Rafael Rebello on WEC 49 preliminary card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Renan Barão returns to the cage at WEC 53". tatame.com. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Will Campuzano meets Chris Cariaso at UFC Fight Night 23". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2011.
- "UFC 130: Norifumi 'Kid' Yamamoto vs Chris Cariaso booked for May 28". mmamania.com. March 12, 2011.
- "McDonald replaces injured "Kid" Yamamoto, meets Cariaso at UFC 130". mmajunkie.com. April 28, 2011.
- "UFC newcomer Vaughan Lee meets Chris Cariaso at UFC 138". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Takeya Mizugaki Meets Chris Cariaso at UFC 144". mmaweekly.com. 2011-11-21.
- "Chris Cariaso, Josh Ferguson Drop to Flyweight, Meet at UFC on Fuel TV". heavy.com. May 13, 2012.
- "John Moraga vs. Chris Cariaso slotted for UFC 155 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. November 22, 2012. Retrieved November 22, 2012.
- John Petit (August 20, 2013). "Iliarde Santos Vs Chris Cariaso Signed For UFC Fight Night 29". fighters.com. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Staff. "Kyoji Horiguchi drops to flyweight, meets Chris Cariaso at UFC 169". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Dann Stupp (2014-01-15). "Kyoji Horiguchi drops off UFC 169 card". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- Dann Stupp (2014-01-15). "Danny Martinez gets call for octagon debut at UFC 169". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- Matt Erickson (2014-02-21). "Cariaso-Smolka added to UFC Fight Night in Cincinnati". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Dave Meltzer (2014-06-26). "Akiyama, Yamamoto, Gomi all set to compete on UFC's Sept. 20 show". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- Kevin Iole (2014-07-15). "Demetrious Johnson to defend belt against Chris Cariaso at UFC 177". Yahoo Sports Canada. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "Jon Jones injured, forced out of planned UFC 178 meeting with Daniel Cormier". MMAjunkie.com. August 12, 2014.
- Brian Knapp (2014-09-27). "Demetrious Johnson taps Chris Cariaso, retains flyweight gold in UFC 178 main event". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-09-27.
- Staff (2015-01-12). "Chris Cariaso-Henry Cejudo flyweight bout added to UFC 185". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-01-12.