|Kansas City Royals – No. 36|
April 10, 1988 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Left|
|September 24, 2013 for the Kansas City Royals|
|Earned run average||0.00|
Christopher Paul Dwyer (born April 10, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut with Kansas City in 2013. Prior to playing professionally, Dwyer attended Clemson University, and pitched for the Clemson Tigers.
Dwyer lived in Swampscott, Massachusetts. He played American Legion baseball for the local Swampscott team. He attended St. Mary's High School in Lynn, Massachusetts, and Salisbury School in Salisbury, Connecticut. He stayed with Salisbury for a postgraduate year in 2008. The New York Yankees selected Dwyer in the 36th round of the 2008 MLB Draft, but did not sign. Instead, he attended Clemson University, where he played for the Clemson Tigers baseball team of the Atlantic Coast Conference. As Dwyer turned 21 in 2009, he was eligible to be selected in the 2009 MLB Draft. The Kansas City Royals chose Dwyer in the fourth round, and he signed with Kansas City, receiving a $1.45 million signing bonus.
In 2010, Dwyer pitched for the Wilmington Blue Rocks of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League. Dwyer was rated the 83rd best prospect in baseball by Baseball America prior to the 2011 season, and was invited to Royals' spring training in 2012. Dwyer played for the Omaha Storm Chasers of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League (PCL) in 2013. After Omaha won the PCL championship, Dwyer pitched to victory in the Triple-A Baseball National Championship Game. He retired the first twenty batters he faced without allowing a baserunner, and won the game's most valuable player award. The Royals promoted Dwyer to the major leagues following the game.
- Boyd, Joshua (June 19, 2009). "Swampscott's Dwyer drafted by baseball's Kansas City Royals – includes all-time Swampscott MLB draft list – Swampscott, MA – The Swampscott Reporter". Wickedlocal.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Travel time equals baseball exposure for Dwyer » Sports » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA". Salemnews.com. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- McGuirk, John (November 19, 2006). "Salisbury stops Andover". Boston Globe. p. C.19. Retrieved September 23, 2013. (subscription required)
- "Dwyer finishes what he started". Nhregister.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Dwyer signs deal with Royals | Clemson Tigers". The State. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- Seiner, Jake (September 17, 2013). "Dwyer deals Chasers to Triple-A title | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "After pitching Omaha to title, Chris Dwyers day ends with trip to KC". KansasCity.com. September 19, 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.