Chris Eliopoulos at the March 31, 2012 launch party for Ultimate Spider-Man
at Midtown Comics in Manhattan.
September 30, 1967 |
|Area(s)||Letterer, penciller, inker, writer|
|Notable works||Desperate Times
Misery Loves Sherman
|Awards||Harvey Award 2008|
Early life 
Eliopoulos is known as a prolific letterer, in particular for hand-lettering the first 100 issues of the ongoing Savage Dragon series, even after much of the comic book industry (including Eliopoulos himself, on other titles) had come to rely on computer-generated fonts for dialogue; this was done at Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen's request; Larsen preferring the individual look of hand-lettered dialogue.
He designed the fonts for Marvel Comic's in-house computer lettering unit. He has also contributed lettering work to Valiant Comics, DC Comics, and other publishers. For Dark Horse Comics, Eliopoulos wrote and/or drew some Star Wars stories.
Eliopoulous is also known for his comic strip Desperate Times, which showcases art admittedly inspired by the work of Bill Watterson of "Calvin and Hobbes" fame. "Desperate Times" features the misadventures of bachelor losers Marty and Toad, which ran as a back-up feature in Savage Dragon, and later Desperate Times comics from Savage Dragon publisher Image Comics and AAArgh! Comics, a part of After Hours Press.
Eliopoulos quoted in interview about art inspiration.
|“||Visually. I was REALLY into Bloom County at the time--still am--and that spoke to me more. But I liked his (Watterson's)zaniness as well. It pushed me to be a better cartoonist. I realized that comic strips didn't have to look so bad--they could look amazing. Between the two is where I would love to do a strip. The all-out humor of Bloom County with the quality art of a Calvin and Hobbes.||”|
Following the September 11 attacks, Eliopoulos contributed a story to a Marvel Comics benefit book about how his family was affected by the event, which shares the date of his wedding anniversary.[volume & issue needed]
He is the artist and co-writer on Marvel Comics' former back-up feature and current series of one-shot comics, Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius, teamed with writer Marc Sumerak. The first one-shot in the series was nominated for an Eisner Award and a Harvey Award in 2005.
Eliopoulos also writes and draws daily webcomics, has contributed cartoon strips to the book series "The Complete Idiot's Guide..." and to Sports Illustrated.[volume & issue needed]
Doug Zawisza, reviewing the 2011 Fear Itself miniseries for Comic Book Resources, praised Eliopoulos' lettering, singling issue #4 in particular, for which he positively compared Eliopoulous' work to letterer John Workman, to whom Zawisza felt Eliopoulos was paying homage.
|This section requires expansion. (September 2008)|
- Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius (writer, artist and letterer with co-author Marc Sumerak, Marvel Comics)
- Civil War (letterer, Marvel Comics)
- Kick-Ass (letterer, Marvel/ Icon Comics)
- 2002 and 2003 Wizard Fan Award "Favorite Letterer"
- 2007 "Best Letterer" Eagle Award
- 2008 "Best Letterer" Harvey Award, for Daredevil
- 2006 "Best Letterer" Eisner Award
- 2006 "Best Letterer" Eagle Award
- 2008 "Special Award for Humor" Harvey Award, for Franklin Richards
- 2008 "Best letterer" Eagle Award
- Eliopolous's LinkedIn profile. Retrieved July 22, 2008.
- "People to Watch in 2008", (201), January 2008.
- Contino, Jennifer. "ABCs with Orzechowski," Comicon.com: The Pulse (Dec. 30, 2003). Retrieved January 3, 2010.
- Misery Loves Sherman. Accessed April 6, 2012.
- Zawisza, Doug (July 6, 2011). "Review for Fear Itself #4". Comic Book Resources.
- 2008 Harvey Award Winners, Comic Book Resources, September 28, 2008
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Chris Eliopoulos|
- Official website
- Misery Loves Sherman Chris Eliopoulos' Webcomic
- Chris Eliopoulos at the Comic Book DB
- Desperate Times Daily @ ComicBookGazette.com A New Page of Chris Eliopoulos' Desperate Times Comic Every Day