December 30, 1971 |
Pasadena, California, United States
|Occupation||Director, writer, producer|
Fisher grew up in Newport Beach and studied philosophy and law at the University of Southern California, going on to work as a corporate lawyer in London before deciding to work in the entertainment industry. Before starting his own production company, Fisher thought he would write a screenplay and sell it for a million dollars and laugh all the way to the bank. Unfortunately. Fisher got negative reviews from his screenplay, which prompted him to I tried to be a production assistant for six months but decided it wasn’t exactly what he wanted to do. Chris Fisher started the production company Imperial Fish Company in 2001 which worked on his first film Nightstalker and the film Taboo. Fisher approaches his work with such intelligence and film literacy that he can be deemed nothing less than a video-store-relegated visionary. Among his trademarks are a strong surrealist style, a particular predilection for pulpy thrills, and a wonderful weakness for film noir conventions.He has stated in an interview with carveonline that "great movies come from taking risks. Big movies come from taking chances and they come from failing."
He has directed episodes of various TV series, and is perhaps best known for directing Rampage: The Hillside Strangler Murders. On May 9, 2008, it was announced that he would direct S. Darko, the sequel to 2001's cult hit Donnie Darko which was directed by Richard Kelly. Having been interested in the world of Donnie Darko Fisher received the script to S. Darko in full during the time of the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike thus Fisher did not have any say in the actual script itself being a part of the Writers Guild of America. Ultimately S. Darko proved to be a box office flop receiving a 0% on rotten tomatoes after receiving too many negative reviews.
His newest film Meeting Evil, which came out in May 2012, features stars Luke Wilson and Samuel L. Jackson. It was adapted from Thomas Berger's novel which came out in 1992. In addition to working with Wilson and Jackson, Fisher has also worked with Keith David, Cuba Gooding Jr., John Leguizamo, Mickey Rourke, Peter Stormare, and Eric Roberts.
- Nightstalker (2002)
- Dirty (2005)
- Rampage: The Hillside Strangler Murders (2006)
- Chuck (2007)
- Cold Case (2007–2008)
- Moonlight (2007–2008)
- S. Darko (2009)
- Street Kings: Motor City (2011)
- Blue Crush 2 (2011)
- Meeting Evil (2012)
- "Imperial Fish Company list of Works". http://orlabs.oclc.org/identities/nc-imperial%20fish%20company.
- "Imperial Fish Company Business Profile". http://businessprofiles.com/details/imperial-fish-company-inc/CA-C2280841.
- Chris Fisher - Director Movie Reviews at TopTenReviews.com
- Donnie Darko Sequel Starts Filming May 18 - ComingSoon.net
- Screen Daily - News
- "S.Darko interview Chris Fisher". http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/10459-exclusive-interview-s-darkos-chris-fisher.
- "Rotten Tomatoe reviews S. Darko". http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/s_darko_a_donnie_darko_tale/#contentReviews.
- "Meeting Evil interview". http://collider.com/chris-fisher-meeting-evil-interview/.
- "Chris Fisher interview on filmography". http://www.yellmagazine.com/chris-fisher-interview-director-meeting-evil-2012/31784/.