|Oakland Athletics – No. 35|
December 27, 1982 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 3, 2009 for the Cleveland Indians|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||30|
Gimenez attended the University of Nevada, and was chosen by the Cleveland Indians in the 19th round (557th overall) of the 2004 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed and joined the Indians minor league system, playing with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, Lake County Captains, Kinston Indians, Akron Aeros, Buffalo Bisons, and Columbus Clippers.
He was a non-roster invitee to spring training for the 2008 and 2009 Indians and made his MLB debut on June 3, 2009. On February 24, 2010, Gimenez was outrighted to Triple-A Columbus to make room on the 40-man roster for Russell Branyan. He remained in camp with the Indians for the duration of spring training as a non-roster invitee.
On July 10, 2010, Gimenez's contract was purchased by the Indians and he was added to the active roster, replacing Mike Redmond, who was designated for assignment. Gimenez was outrighted to Triple-A Columbus on October 29, 2010, removing him from the 40-man roster. He filed for free agency on November 6, 2010.
During the 2010 offseason, Gimenez signed a minor league contract with the Seattle Mariners.
On December 12, 2011, the Mariners announced via their Twitter feed that Gimenez had been non-tendered along with pitcher Dan Cortes. Two days later, on December 14, the club announced that they had re-signed Gimenez to a contract. He was later designated for assignment and soon after, he declared for free agency.
The Tampa Bay Rays signed him to a minor league contract on February 16, 2012. He also received an invitation to spring training. He was optioned to the Triple-A Durham Bulls on March 25, 2013. He was recalled by the Rays on September 1.
- Tribe recalls Gimenez, designates Redmond
- #Mariners non-tender RHP Dan Cortes and C Chris Gimenez. 40-man roster is now at 36.
- "Mariners non-tender right-hander Dan Cortes and catcher Chris Gimenez (mlb.com)". Major League Baseball. mlb.com. December 13, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- #Mariners re-sign catcher Chris Gimenez to ML contract...40-man roster now at 37 players.
- Twitter / Athletics: The #Athletics have claimed C Chris Gimenez off waivers from the #Rays. A corresponding 40-man roster move will be announced later.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)