No. 13 St. Louis Rams
|Wide Receiver / Kick Returner|
|Date of birth:December 6, 1989|
|Place of birth: Jackson, Mississippi|
|High school: Wylie (TX)|
|College: Wake Forest|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 4 / Pick: 96|
|Debuted in 2012 for the St. Louis Rams|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 10, 2014
Chris Givens (born December 6, 1989) is an American football wide receiver with the St. Louis Rams of the National Football League. He was selected in the fourth round, 96th overall by the St. Louis Rams in the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football at Wake Forest.
Givens attended Wylie High School in Wylie, Texas, where he was a two-sport star in football and track. Suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in September 2007 to bring an early close to his high school football career. Rushed for 247 yards and four touchdowns on 30 carries against Hebron in the second game of the 2007 season, but injured his knee the following week in the first quarter against Richardson Berkner.
Track and field
Also an outstanding track & field athlete, Givens won the District 9-5A 100 meter title in 2007. He was third in the district meet in 2007 in the 200-meter dash with a 22.29 clocking and a member of the district champion 800 meter relay team (1:28.33). He ran a 10.44-second 100-meter dash (electronic) at the Jesuit-Sheaner Relays in 2007. In late January, 2008, just 15 weeks after ACL surgery, he clocked a 10.7 in the 100 meters. Also ran a 10.62 100m during the 2008 Region 2-5A meet. He was ranked as high as the fourth fastest in the 100 meters in the Texas high school ranks.
Givens played college football at Wake Forest University from 2009 to 2011. He totaled 629 receiving yards as a redshirt freshman in 2009 and 514 as a redshirt sophomore in 2010. In July 2011, he was placed on the watchlist for the Fred Biletnikoff Award. After catching six passes for 101 yards in Wake Forest's October 2011 win over Florida State, Givens was named the Offensive Receiver of the Week by the Atlantic Coast Conference for the second consecutive week. In the first seven games of the 2011 season, Givens had 46 receptions for 866 yards and eight touchdowns. As of October 23, 2011, Givens' 886 receiving yards during the 2011 season ranked fifth among NCAA Division I FBS players.
|2009||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||12||45||629||14.0||54||8||15||98||6.5||17||0|
|2010||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||12||35||514||14.7||81||4||16||63||3.9||22||2|
|2011||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||13||83||1330||16.0||79||9||14||77||5.5||13||0|
2012 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 11 in||198 lb||31 1/4 in||8 1/4 in||4.41 s||1.52 s||2.51 s||4.23 s||6.97 s||33½ in||9 ft 10 in||19 reps||x|
|Values from NFL Combine |
Givens was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round (96th overall) in the 2012 NFL Draft. Givens was the first player selected on day 3 of the Draft.
St. Louis Rams
On June 1, 2012, Givens signed a four-year contract with the Rams worth $2.6 million. Through the first two games of the regular season, he was held without a reception or a target from the quarterback. It wasn't until Week 3 against the Seattle Seahawks that Givens would catch his first NFL pass, beating Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman for a 52-yard reception.
In a Week 5 win against the Arizona Cardinals, Givens caught a 51-yard pass, resulting in the first touchdown of his NFL career. He would go on to catch a pass of 50-plus yards in five consecutive games from September 30 to October 21, 2012, an NFL rookie record for most consecutive games with a 50-plus yard reception. The receptions came against the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers, and New England Patriots. During Week 10 of the regular season, Givens was suspended along with fellow rookie Janoris Jenkins for reportedly violating teams rules. Both players were sidelined and the specifics about their suspensions were never revealed. In Week 12 against the Arizona Cardinals, Givens logged his first 100-plus yard receiving game of his career.
Givens ended his rookie campaign with 42 catches for 698 yards and 3 touchdowns, leading all Rams receivers in receiving yards.
Despite high expectations heading into 2013, inconsistency at quarterback and poor play by Givens himself resulted in him having a down season. He finished the year with 34 receptions for 569 yards and no touchdowns.
- Bob Sutton (October 7, 2011). "Catching on: Wake Forest receiver Givens gives foes fits". The Times-News (Burlington, NC). Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- Dan Collins (October 4, 2011). "Givens Back in Good Graces". Winston-Salem Journal. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- Dan Collins (September 18, 2009). "Givens is giving Deacons offense: Slotback has recovered from serious injuries to his knees in high school". Winston-Salem Journal. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Givens on Biletnikoff Watch List: Wake receiver considered among best in nation". Wake Forest University. July 21, 2011. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Givens Earns ACC Player of the Week Honor: Wide receiver named POTW for the second consecutive week". Wake Forest University. October 10, 2011. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Wake's Chris Givens Earns ACC Honors". WFMY News. October 10, 2011. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Chris Givens". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- "NCAA Division I-A Player Receiving Statistics - 2011 (Receiving Yards Leaders - All Players)". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- "Chris Givens Stats".
- "NFL Combine Tracker - Chris Givens". NFL.com. NFL.com. Retrieved 12/12/14. Check date values in:
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons bio
- St. Louis Rams bio