|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
|Born||March 2, 1968|
|Genres||Electronic music, Video game music|
|Occupation(s)||Musician and Video Game Composer|
|Years active||1986 to present|
||This section possibly contains original research. (December 2014)|
In 1986 Hülsbeck released the SoundMonitor program for Commodore 64 computer. The program was released as a type-in listing in the German computer magazine 64'er. This program, featuring the idea of notation data rolling from down to up, is assumed[who?] to have a significant influence on Karsten Obarski's Ultimate Soundtracker (1987) which was a starting point for still continuing tradition of tracker music programs.
Hülsbeck has written soundtracks for more than 70 titles, the latest being Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Many of his scores for the Commodore 64 are regarded as classics among enthusiasts today, most notably The Great Giana Sisters. He is best known for the soundtracks to the Turrican series of games. Chris's initial recognition arrived at age 17 when his composition "Shades" won first place in a music competition for the German 64'er magazine.
He also created a music replay routine for the Amiga called TFMX — "The Final Musicsystem eXtended", which features more musically-oriented features than rival Soundtracker, such as logarithmic pitch-bends, sound macros and individual tempos for each track.
His music from Apidya, Turrican 2, Turrican 3 and The Great Giana Sisters was performed live at the Symphonic Game Music Concert series in Leipzig, Germany between 2003–2007, conducted by Andy Brick. On August 23, 2008 his music was performed at Symphonic Shades, a concert dedicated to his work exclusively. The WDR Radio Orchestra and a choir performed classics such as The Great Giana Sisters, Turrican, R-Type and others in Cologne, Germany conducted by Arnie Roth. On March 19, 2009 it was announced that Arnie Roth will conduct the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra at the concert Sinfonia Drammatica in the Konserthuset Stockholm. Taking place on August 4, 2009, the concert will combine performances of Chris Hülsbeck's Symphonic Shades with selections from drammatica by Yoko Shimomura.
These are Chris Hülsbeck's audio CDs.
- 1991 Shades
- 1992 To be on Top
- 1992 Apidya
- 1993 Turrican Soundtrack
- 1994 Native Vision - Easy life (single)
- 1994 Rainbows
- 1995 Sound Factory (This also features a data track with Hülsbeck sound samples and TFMX-format songs)
- 1997 Tunnel B1 Soundtrack
- 1997 Extreme Assault soundtrack
- 1998 Peanuts feat. Doc. Schneider - Leben betrügt (single)
- 2000 Bridge from the past to the future (released at MP3.com)
- 2000 Collage (released at MP3.com)
- 2000 Merregnon Soundtrack, Volume 1
- 2001 Chris Hülsbeck in the Mix (released by ZYX Music)
- 2004 Merregnon Soundtrack, Volume 2 (English and Japanese edition)
- 2007 Number Nine
- 2008 Symphonic Shades
- 2013 Turrican Soundtrack Anthology (Volumes 1-4)
These are Chris Hülsbeck's soundtracks for home computer titles.
- Apidya (Amiga)
- The Baby of Can Guru (C64)
- Dulcedo Cogitationis (C64)
- The Great Giana Sisters (C64)
- Jim Power in Mutant Planet (Amiga)
- Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3-D (SNES)
- R-Type intro music (C64, Amiga)
- Starball intro music (C64)
- Shades (C64 demo)
- To be on Top (C64)
- Turrican 1-3 soundtracks (Amiga)
- M.U.D.S. – Mean Ugly Dirty Sport (Amiga)
- X-Out (Amiga)
- Z-Out (Amiga)
- ZombieSmash! (iPhone)
- Active Soccer (iPhone, iPad, Windows, MacOS)
- Turrican Soundtrack Anthology 
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Ouya)
- Doctor Who: Legacy (iOS, Android)
- "Game Music Online Home - Game Music Online". Game Music Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Turrican Soundtrack Anthology seeks Kickstarter funding". Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Chris Huelsbeck Productions". Chris Huelsbeck Productions. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Hülsbeck.|
- Official website of Chris Hülsbeck
- Homepage of gamemusic concerts
- "Merregnon" Fantasy Musical Project
- synSONIQ Records: Chris Hülsbeck record label
- Artist profile at OverClocked ReMix
- ElectronicScene.com profile
- Chris Hülsbeck discography at MusicBrainz