Chris Hatcher (pitcher)
Miami Marlins – No. 41
January 12, 1985 |
Kinston, North Carolina
|September 19, 2010 for the Florida Marlins|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.82|
Hatcher was drafted by the Marlins in the 5th round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft out of the University of North Carolina Wilmington. He began his professional career with the Marlins organization as a catcher. His best minor league season was 2007 with the Class A Greensboro Grasshoppers, where he played in 102 and had a .242 batting average and 15 home runs.
Hatcher was promoted to the Major Leagues for the first time on September 1, 2010 as a catcher. In 2011, Hatcher switched position to pitcher, at the behest of the Marlins' organization, to facilitate his return to the majors. He was the first player since the 1940s to change positions from a catcher to a pitcher
Hatcher made his MLB debut as a pitcher against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field on July 16, 2011 in a Marlins win.  On May 5, 2012, Hatcher, along with Sandy Rosario, was called up by the Marlins. However, only four days later, both Hatcher and Rosario were sent back to the minors. On June 16, Hatcher was called up again by the Marlins. The next day, he pitched in 1 inning against the Tampa Bay Rays, he first Major League appearance since 2011. Hatcher was sent down to the minors on June 21, after the Marlins called up Mike Dunn. He only made 2 appearances, pitching 2.2 innings, with an ERA of 13.50, and 3 strikeouts, but gave up 4 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks, and 2 home runs.  He primarily spent 2013 with the Triple-A New Orleans Zephyrs, where he had a 4-3 record and a 3.61 ERA over 60 games.
Hatcher was designated for assignment by the Marlins on February 11, 2014. On May 7, 2014, it was reported that Hatcher had been involved in a fight with Sam Dyson, a teammate with the New Orleans Zephyrs, at a Miami bar on April 27. Dyson's jaw was broken by Hatcher, who was later suspended 5 games by the Zephyrs for conduct detrimental to the team.
- "Chris Hatcher promoted up to Triple-A". wect.com. July 23, 2010. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "Chris Hatcher Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "Chris Hatcher Called Up To Big Leagues - Sports News Story - WCTI12 New Bern". Wcti12.com. September 1, 2010. Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- "From plate to mound: Jacksonville Suns' Chris Hatcher makes switch from catcher to pitcher". The Florida Times-Union. April 7, 2011. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "Ex-catcher Hatcher makes second debut as a pitcher". sun-sentinel.com. July 16, 2011. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "Miami Marlins Transactions". sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Williams, Darrell (May 7, 2014). "Zephyrs' Chris Hatcher suspended five games after fight". theneworleansadvocate.com. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)