Hemsworth at the 2013 Foxtel Launch Event in Sydney, Australia. February 2013
11 August 1983 |
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Spouse(s)||Elsa Pataky (2010-present)|
|Relatives||Liam Hemsworth (brother)
Luke Hemsworth (brother)
Chris Hemsworth (born 11 August 1983) is an Australian actor. Best known for his role as Thor in the Marvel Studios films Thor (2011) and The Avengers (2012); and as Kim Hyde in the Australian TV series Home and Away (2004). He's also appeared in Star Trek (2009), A Perfect Getaway (2009), The Cabin in the Woods (2012), Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) and Red Dawn (2012). In 2013, he will appear in the film adaptation of In the Heart of the Sea, based on the book by Nathaniel Philbrick.
In 2013, he won People's Choice Award Favorite Action Movie Star for his roles in The Avengers and Snow White and the Huntsman.
Hemsworth was born in Melbourne, to Leonie, an English teacher, and Craig Hemsworth, a social-services counselor. He was raised both there and in the Northern Territory, in a small Aboriginal community in the Outback called Bulman. He has stated, "My earliest memories were on the cattle stations up in the Outback, and then we moved back to Melbourne and then back out there and then back again. Certainly most of my childhood was in Melbourne but probably my most vivid memories were up there in Bulman with crocodiles and buffalo. Very different walks of life." He attended high school at Heathmont College before his family again returned to the Northern Territory, and then moved a few years later to Phillip Island. He is the middle of three boys; his brothers Luke (older) and Liam (younger) are also actors.
At the beginning of 2004 Chris was working as a bar attender in an elite night club "Silvers" on one of the Melbourne's busy night district. He was working along such people like: Sebastian Zimmermann, Maciej Depa, Michalina Filipowicz, Szymon Pieczonka aka "Chomik" In 2004, Hemsworth auditioned for the Australian soap opera Home and Away role of Robbie Hunter (played by Jason Smith), but did not receive the part. He was subsequently recalled for the part of Kim Hyde and moved to Sydney to join the cast, appearing in 171 episodes of the series. He left the cast of Home and Away on 3 July 2007.
In 2009, Hemsworth portrayed James T. Kirk's father, George Kirk, in the opening scenes of J. J. Abrams' film Star Trek. He played the character Kale in the thriller A Perfect Getaway the same year. He went on to play Sam in Ca$h, which was the first film he shot when he arrived in the United States. The film's director, Stephen Milburn Anderson, said Hemsworth had only been in the United States for six weeks when he had auditioned for the role, recalling, "Here's a guy who is young, has the right look, is a very good actor and, let's face it, he's beautiful. So I say, we need to get this guy in. I was very impressed". In November 2010, The Hollywood Reporter named Hemsworth as one of the young male actors who are "pushing – or being pushed" onto the Hollywood "A-List".
He is best known for his role as the Marvel Comics superhero Thor in the 2011 Marvel Studios film Thor. He and castmate Tom Hiddleston, who ultimately played the antagonist Loki, had each auditioned for the role, for which Hemsworth said he put on 20 pounds of muscle. Hemsworth reprised the role in the 2012 film The Avengers as one of the six superheroes sent to defend Earth from his adopted brother, Loki.
He starred in the horror film The Cabin in the Woods, which though shot shortly after the release of Star Trek (2009) went unreleased until 2012. It led Hemsworth to audition for the role of Thor at Joss Whedon's insistence. Also that year, Hemsworth starred opposite Kristen Stewart in the film Snow White & the Huntsman as the Huntsman. He also played Jed Eckert in the 2012 Red Dawn remake, a role he was cast in after MGM saw dailies footage of a scene from Cabin in the Woods. Hemsworth received the part of Thor two days after being hired for Red Dawn.
In 2013, Hemsworth will reprise his role as Thor in the sequel Thor: The Dark World, set to start filming in August 2012. He is also set to star in Ron Howard's action film Rush as Formula 1 driver James Hunt. Additionally, Hemsworth is scheduled to star in the 2014 thriller Shadow Runner.
Hemsworth dated his Home and Away castmate Isabel Lucas between 2005–2006. Hemsworth began dating Spanish actress Elsa Pataky in early 2010 after meeting through their mutual representatives. They married in December 2010, and have a child together, daughter India Rose (b. 2012).
|2009||Star Trek||George Samuel Kirk, Sr.|
|2009||A Perfect Getaway||Kale|
|2010||Ollie Klublershturf vs the Nazis||Chad||Short|
|2012||The Cabin in the Woods||Curt|
|2012||Snow White and the Huntsman||The Huntsman|
|2012||Red Dawn||Jed Eckert|
|2013||Star Trek Into Darkness||George Kirk (voice)|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||Thor||Post-production|
|2002||Guinevere Jones||King Arthur||TV series (2 episodes)|
|2002||Neighbours||Jamie Kane||TV series (1 episode)|
|2002||Marshall Law||The Kid||TV series (1 episode: "Domestic Bliss")|
|2003||The Saddle Club||The New Vet||TV series (1 episode: "Tenderfoot")|
|2004||Fergus McPhail||Craig||TV series (1 episode: "In a Jam")|
|2004–2007||Home and Away||Kim Hyde||TV series (185 episodes)|
|2011||Thor: God of Thunder||Thor (voice)|
Awards and nominations
- "Thor's Chris Hemsworth Turns a Year Older". People.com (video). 11 August 2011. "...celebrates his 28th"
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (12 June 2012). "Chris Hemsworth Boards Whale of a Tale ‘In The Heart of the Sea’; Will DreamWorks Bite?". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Lovece, Frank (29 September 2011). "Chris Hemsworth: Not a Thor Loser". FilmFestivalTraveler.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Cyrus 'saw in new year on Phillip Island' ". Herald Sun. Australia. 4 January 2010. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Rapkin, Mickey (March 2012). "The Hunger Games' Liam Hemsworth Has No Idea What's About to Hit Him". Details. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012.
- "Chris Hemsworth on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Part 1". Jimmy Kimmel Live! via YouTube. 5 May 2011.
- Finke, Nikki (18 May 2009). "More 'Thor': Marvel Studios Casts UK Actor Tom Hiddleston as Villain Loki". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011.
- “”. "The Movie Cash Podcast Series: Casting Chris Hemsworth". Youtube. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- Blank, Emily; Schutte, Lauren (15 November 2010). "Hollywood's A-List Redefined". (slide 4 of 10 in slideshow) The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Rosenbaum, Lara. "Chris Hemsworth's Workout". Men's Health. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- McDaniel, Matt (2 May 2012). "'Avengers' star Tom Hiddleston told Chris Hemsworth to really hit him". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 15 May 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Kirk, Jeremy; Whedon, Joss (20 September 2012). "34 Things We Learned From 'The Cabin in the Woods' Commentary". FilmSchoolRejects.com. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Flemming, Mike (30 June 2011). "Marvel And Disney Setting 'Thor 2' For Winter 2013; Chris Hemsworth's Back but Kenneth Branagh Won't Return". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 1 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Chitwood, Adam (11 July 2011). "Chris Hemsworth in Talks to Play Formula 1 Driver James Hunt in Ron Howard's 'Rush'". Collider.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Kit, Borys (29 June 2011). "Chris Hemsworth to Star in Sony's 'Shadow Runner'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Macaluso, Beth Anne (12 June 2012). "Chris Hemsworth's Wife Elsa Pataky Gives Birth to Daughter India!". Us Weekly. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Jordan, Julie (28 December 2010). "Thor Star Chris Hemsworth Gets Married". People. Archived from the original on 28 March 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Byrne, Fiona (23 April 2011). "Bulldogs chase down Thor hottie", Adelaide Now. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Han, Angie (6 July 2011). "Watch ‘Ollie Klublershturf vs. The Nazis’, Written by a Pre-‘Lost’ Damon Lindelof and Starring a Pre-‘Thor’ Chris Hemsworth". /Film. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Australians in Film Breakthrough Awards". Australians in Film. 2010. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Chris Hemsworth|
- Chris Hemsworth at the Internet Movie Database
- Chris Hemsworth at the TCM Movie Database
- Chris Hemsworth at AllRovi
- Chris Hemsworth at Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)