11 August 1983 |
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Spouse(s)||Elsa Pataky (m. 2010)|
Chris Hemsworth (born 11 August 1983) is an Australian actor. He is best known for his role as Kim Hyde in the Australian TV series Home and Away (2004) and as Thor in the Marvel Studios films Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: The Dark World (2013) and the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015). He has also appeared in Star Trek (2009), A Perfect Getaway (2009), The Cabin in the Woods (2012), Snow White and the Huntsman (2012), Red Dawn (2012) and Rush (2013). He will appear in the 2015 film In the Heart of the Sea, based on the book of the same name by Nathaniel Philbrick.
Chris Hemsworth was born in Melbourne, to Leonie, a teacher of English, and Craig Hemsworth, a social-services counselor. He was raised both there and in the Northern Territory, in a small Aboriginal community in the Outback called Bulman. He has stated, "My earliest memories were on the cattle stations up in the Outback, and then we moved back to Melbourne and then back out there and then back again. Certainly most of my childhood was in Melbourne but probably my most vivid memories were up there in Bulman with crocodiles and buffalo. Very different walks of life." He attended high school at Heathmont College before his family again returned to the Northern Territory, and then moved a few years later to Phillip Island. He is the middle of three boys; his brothers Luke (older) and Liam (younger) are also actors.
In 2004, Hemsworth auditioned for the Australian soap opera Home and Away role of Robbie Hunter (played by Jason Smith), but did not receive the part. He was subsequently recalled for the part of Kim Hyde and moved to Sydney to join the cast, appearing in 171 episodes of the series. He left the cast of Home and Away on 3 July 2007.
Hemsworth was a contestant on the fifth season of Dancing with the Stars Australia, partnered with professional dancer Abbey Ross. The season premiered on 26 September 2006, and after six weeks, Hemsworth was eliminated (7 November 2006).
He went on to play Sam in Ca$h, which was the first film he shot when he arrived in the United States. The film's director, Stephen Milburn Anderson, said Hemsworth had only been in the United States for six weeks when he had auditioned for the role, recalling, "Here's a guy who is young, has the right look, is a very good actor and, let's face it, he's beautiful. So I say, we need to get this guy in. I was very impressed". In November 2010, The Hollywood Reporter named Hemsworth as one of the young male actors who are "pushing – or being pushed" onto the Hollywood "A-List".
He is best known for his role as the Marvel Comics superhero Thor in the 2011 Marvel Studios film Thor. He and castmate Tom Hiddleston, who ultimately played Loki, had each auditioned for the role, for which Hemsworth said he put on 20 pounds of muscle. Hemsworth reprised the role in the 2012 film The Avengers as one of the six superheroes sent to defend Earth from his adopted brother, Loki.
He starred in the horror film The Cabin in the Woods, which though shot shortly after the release of Star Trek went unreleased until 2012. It led Hemsworth to audition for the role of Thor at Joss Whedon's insistence. Also that year, Hemsworth starred opposite Kristen Stewart in the film Snow White & the Huntsman as the Huntsman. He also played Jed Eckert in the 2012 Red Dawn remake, a role he was cast in after MGM saw dailies footage of a scene from Cabin in the Woods. Hemsworth received the part of Thor two days after being hired for Red Dawn. Sony Pictures announced in 2011 that Hemsworth would star in the thriller, Shadow Runner.
In 2013, Hemsworth starred in Ron Howard's sports drama film Rush, alongside Daniel Bruhl as 1976 Formula 1 World Champion James Hunt, and reprised his role as Thor, in the sequel Thor: The Dark World. Hemsworth will again reprise his role as Thor in the 2015 sequel to the The Avengers, titled Avengers: Age of Ultron.
In 2015, Hemsworth will appear as first mate Owen Chase in In the Heart of the Sea, it is based on the book of the same name by Nathaniel Philbrick. In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel, he revealed that to prepare for the role of starving sailors, the cast was put on a diet of 500–600 calories a day to lose weight. He will also appear in the action thriller film Blackhat with Viola Davis.
Hemsworth began dating Spanish actress Elsa Pataky in early 2010 after meeting through their mutual representatives, and they wed in December 2010. They have three children: daughter India Rose (b. May 2012) and twin sons, Tristan and Sasha (b. March 2014).
|2009||Star Trek||George Kirk|
|2009||Perfect Getaway, AA Perfect Getaway||Kale|
|2010||Ollie Klublershturf vs the Nazis||Chad||Short|
|2012||The Cabin in the Woods||Curt|
|2012||Avengers, TheThe Avengers||Thor|
|2012||Snow White and the Huntsman||Eric, the Huntsman|
|2012||Red Dawn||Jed Eckert|
|2013||Star Trek Into Darkness||George Kirk (voice)||Archive footage from Star Trek|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||Thor|
|2015||In the Heart of the Sea||Owen Chase||Post-production|
|2015||Avengers: Age of Ultron||Thor||Post-production|
|2002||Guinevere Jones||King Arthur||2 episodes|
|2002||Neighbours||Jamie Kane||1 episode|
|2002||Marshall Law||The Kid||1 episode: "Domestic Bliss"|
|2003||Saddle Club, TheThe Saddle Club||The New Vet||1 episode: "Tenderfoot"|
|2004||Fergus McPhail||Craig||1 episode: "In a Jam"|
|2004–2007||Home and Away||Kim Hyde||185 episodes|
|2006||Dancing with the Stars||Himself||Contestant|
|2011||Thor: God of Thunder||Thor|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Breakout Male||Thor||Nominated|
|2012||BAFTA Rising Star Award||Thor||Nominated|
|2012||People's Choice Award Favorite Movie Superhero||Thor||Nominated|
|2012||MTV Movie Award for Best Hero||Thor||Nominated|
|2012||Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Actor – Sci-Fi/Fantasy||The Avengers||Nominated|
|2012||Teen Choice Award Summer Movie Star: Male||The Avengers & Snow White and the Huntsman||Won|
|2013||People's Choice Award Favorite Movie Superhero||The Avengers||Nominated|
|2013||People's Choice Award Favorite On-Screen Chemistry||Snow White and the Huntsman (shared with Kristen Stewart)||Nominated|
|2013||People's Choice Award Favorite Action Movie Star||The Avengers & Snow White and the Huntsman||Won|
|2013||Kid's Choice Award Favorite Male Buttkicker||The Avengers||Nominated|
|2013||MTV Movie Award for Best Fight||The Avengers||Won|
|2013||Teen Choice Award Actor Action||Red Dawn||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Award Actor Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Thor: The Dark World||Nominated|
- "Chris Hemsworth Bio". UsMagazine.com. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Thor's Chris Hemsworth Turns a Year Older". People.com (video). 11 August 2011. "...celebrates his 28th"
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (12 June 2012). "Chris Hemsworth Boards Whale of a Tale ‘In The Heart of the Sea’; Will DreamWorks Bite?". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Lovece, Frank (29 September 2011). "Chris Hemsworth: Not a Thor Loser". FilmFestivalTraveler.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Cyrus 'saw in new year on Phillip Island' ". Herald Sun. Australia. 4 January 2010. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Rapkin, Mickey (March 2012). "The Hunger Games' Liam Hemsworth Has No Idea What's About to Hit Him". Details. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012.
- "Chris Hemsworth on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Part 1". Jimmy Kimmel Live! via YouTube. 5 May 2011.
- Finke, Nikki (18 May 2009). "More 'Thor': Marvel Studios Casts UK Actor Tom Hiddleston as Villain Loki". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011.
- “”. "The Movie Cash Podcast Series: Casting Chris Hemsworth". Youtube. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- Blank, Emily; Schutte, Lauren (15 November 2010). "Hollywood's A-List Redefined". (slide 4 of 10 in slideshow) The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Rosenbaum, Lara. "Chris Hemsworth's Workout". Men's Health. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- McDaniel, Matt (2 May 2012). "'Avengers' star Tom Hiddleston told Chris Hemsworth to really hit him". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 15 May 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Kirk, Jeremy; Whedon, Joss (20 September 2012). "34 Things We Learned From 'The Cabin in the Woods' Commentary". FilmSchoolRejects.com. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Kit, Borys (29 June 2011). "Chris Hemsworth to Star in Sony's 'Shadow Runner'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Flemming, Mike (30 June 2011). "Marvel And Disney Setting 'Thor 2' For Winter 2013; Chris Hemsworth's Back but Kenneth Branagh Won't Return". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 1 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Chitwood, Adam (11 July 2011). "Chris Hemsworth in Talks to Play Formula 1 Driver James Hunt in Ron Howard's 'Rush'". Collider.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Vejvoda, Jim (August 29, 2013). "James Spader to Play Ultron in the Avengers Sequel". IGN. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- "Chris Hemsworth/Jane's Addiction; Episode #11.69". Jimmy Kimmel Live!. 4 November 2013. ABC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTFozTum7w. "Jimmy: You're on some crazy diet right now I heard because of this movie you're shooting. Chris: ...and we have to get rather skinny, we're on about 500 or 600 calories a day"
- Travis Reilly (26 July 2014). "Chris Hemsworth First Look on Set of Michael Mann Hacker Thriller ‘Blackhat’ Revealed". The Wrap. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Macaluso, Beth Anne (12 June 2012). "Chris Hemsworth's Wife Elsa Pataky Gives Birth to Daughter India!". Us Weekly. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Jordan, Julie (28 December 2010). "Thor Star Chris Hemsworth Gets Married". People. Archived from the original on 28 March 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Fleeman, Mike (12 May 2012). "Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky Welcome Daughter India Rose". People. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Pataky, Elsa. "Cómo he preparado la llegada de los bebés" (in Spanish). Glamour. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Nudd, Tim; Jordan, Julie (21 March 2014). "Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky Welcome Twin Sons". People. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Mandell, Andrea (21 March 2014). "It's twin boys for Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky!". USA Today.
- Han, Angie (6 July 2011). "Watch ‘Ollie Klublershturf vs. The Nazis’, Written by a Pre-‘Lost’ Damon Lindelof and Starring a Pre-‘Thor’ Chris Hemsworth". /Film. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Hemsworth.|
- Chris Hemsworth at the Internet Movie Database
- Chris Hemsworth at the TCM Movie Database
- Chris Hemsworth at AllMovie