Chris Jones (footballer, born 1989)
|Full name||Chris Jones|
|Date of birth||12 September 1989|
|Place of birth||Swansea, Wales|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|The New Saints|
|2008||→ Cambridge United (loan)||8||(0)|
|2010||→ Neath (loan)||16||(5)|
|2012–2014||The New Saints||65||(8)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:09, 12 March 2011 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Swansea, Jones progressed through the Swansea City youth ranks and signed his first professional contract in 2006 lasting two and a half years and made his senior debut for the club against Walsall in the Football League Trophy in 2006. In July 2007 he trained with Hamilton Academical with a view to joing them on a season-long loan deal but he was recalled by Swansea to join up with the first team in preparation for the new season.
Jones has played for Wales at various youth levels and is currently mainly playing for the under-19 team. However he was called up to the under-21 squad in February 2007 coming on as a substitute against Northern Ireland.
On 1 July 2009, Jones joined Grimsby Town on trial with a view to a permanent deal being struck. On 18 July, manager Mike Newell offered Jones a permanent contract with the club. Jones officially signed for Grimsby Town on 25 July 2009. After struggling to break into the first team, Jones was made available for loan under new manager Neil Woods, and on January 2010, Jones signed for Welsh Premier League side Neath on loan until the end of the 2009–10 season, scoring a hat trick on his debut in a 3–2 win over Porthmadog.
Following the conclusion of the Welsh football season, Jones returned to Grimsby and was ready for selection in Town's final two games of the season. Despite this he was not picked and on 12 May 2010, Jones was one of seven players placed on the transfer list by Neil Woods following their relegation from the Football League. After failing in his task to find a new club in the summer of 2010, Jones was kept on at Grimsby and was handed a squad number for the upcoming 2010–2011 campaign. On 30 July 2010 Jones had his contract cancelled by mutual consent.
Following his departure, Jones returned to Neath on a permanent deal on 5 August 2010.
After playing as a Striker during his loan spell, Jones has been converted to a right winger for the 2010–2011 season and has provided many assists as well as chipping in with several goals as well as Neath go in search of European football. At the end of the 2010–11 season Jones won the Welsh Premier League Young Player of the Year Award. Jones was also Picked in the Welsh Premier League Dream Team in 2010–11 and 2011–12. Jones left Neath in May 2012 when the club folded.
The New Saints
- "Walsall 1 Swansea 1" BBC Sport Retrieved on 3 December 2007
- "Swans recall striker from Accies" BBC Sport Retrieved on 3 December 2007
- "N Ireland U21 0–4 Wales U21" BBC Sport Retrieved on 3 December 2007
- "Rendell Returns on Loan" Cambridge United Retrieved on 18 November 2008
- Newell Looks at Welsh Striker, Grimsby Town F.C., 1 July 2009. Retrieved 25 July 2009
- Everybody Loves Chris, Grimsby Town F.C., 18 July 2009. Retrieved 25 July 2009
- Jones Completes Town Move, Grimsby Town F.C., 25 July 2009. Retrieved 1 August 2009
- "Jones joins Welsh side". grimsby-townfc.co.uk. 8 January 2010. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- "Neath 3–2 Porthmadog". welsh-premier.com. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Big spending Eagles swoop again". welsh-premier.com. 5 August 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "Saints get their man as Jones signs". Welsh Premier League. Retrieved 14 July 2012.