Kobin, a graduate of Ridgewood High School (New Jersey), Macalester College and Loyola Law School, turned down an offer from a Century City law firm and became a car salesman while trying to break into Hollywood. The John Landis film Slasher: an IFC Original was based on Kobin's experiences traveling the country staging "slasher sales".
Kobin has produced the Made-For-TV Movies Payback ABC TV (1997), A Vision of Murder: The Story of Donielle CBS TV(2000), and Slasher: an IFC Original (2004). Feature Films which Kobin has co-written include 2001 Maniacs (2005), Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror (2006), Driftwood (2006). and 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams (2010).
Film Festival Premieres
Kobin's documentary films have premiered in the following film festivals:
- Telluride Film Festival: Hollywood Don't Surf! (2011) North American Premiere
- Cannes Film Festival: Hollywood Don't Surf! (2010)
- South by Southwest: Slasher (2004)
- Slamdance Film Festival: The Girl Next Door (1999).
- Hollywood Don't Surf! (2011)
- 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams (2010)
- Driftwood (2006)
- Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror (2006)
- 2001 Maniacs (2005)
- Slasher: an IFC Original (2004)
- A Vision of Murder: The Story of Donielle (2000)
- The Girl Next Door (1999)
- Payback (1997)
- Flipping Vegas A&E Network (2011 - 2014)
- The Mac Weekly: Comment posted by alumnus Chris Kobin 11/16/07
- Indeworks: "Chris Kobin joins INDEWORKS to develop film and television properties"(January 2006)
- Automotive Digest: "Chris Kobin, a former used-car salesman"
- VH1: Kobin filmography
- Movies.Msn: Kobin's filmography and associations
- Girls and Corpses: Tim Sullivan goes into great detail explaining the chemistry between him and Kobin as writers
- Upcoming Horror Films: Confirmation by Sullivan that he and Kobin are creating the sequel to 2001 Maniacs