||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
Chris Lord-Alge is an American mix engineer. He is the brother of Tom Lord-Alge, another audio engineer. Chris Lord-Alge is known for his use of dynamic range compression in both hardware and software plug-in versions. He is also known for collaborating with Howard Benson, who has produced a minimum majority of the albums Lord-Alge has mixed.
Chris Lord-Alge gained notoriety while working at Unique Recording Studios, New York City in the 1980s for his mixing on James Brown's Gravity album, which included the hit song "Living in America", the Rocky IV soundtrack, Prince's Batman soundtrack, Joe Cocker's Unchain My Heart album, Chaka Khan's Destiny album, Carly Simon's Coming Around Again album, Tina Turner's Foreign Affair album and 12" remixes of Madonna's "La Isla Bonita", the Rolling Stones' "Too Much Blood" and Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark", "Cover Me", and "Born in the U.S.A.". While working in Japan (1995–1997), he worked with Tetsuya Komuro, No! Galers, Namie Amuro and hitomi. Lord-Alge has focused on mixing since the late 1990s, resulting in an extensive production discography (see below).
Chris, and his brother Tom are known inside the music industry for crafting their mix with an abundant use of Compression (an audio dynamic control tool) for molding mixes that play well on small speakers and FM radio.
In early 2010, Waves Audio released the Chris Lord-Alge Artist Signature Collection of audio plug-ins, a collection of 6 application-specific audio plug-ins for Bass, Drums, Effects, Vocals, Guitars, and Unplugged. Slightly before that, Waves had also released a collection of CLA-branded compressors, labelled the 'Classic Compressors' bundle, featuring the CLA-76 (Urei 1176LN), CLA-2A (Teletronix LA-2A) and CLA-3A (Urei LA-3A). These are among Chris's favourite dynamics units. It is widely assumed that Waves were unable to get a license to produce authorised versions of the 1176, LA-2A and LA-3A as their current manufacturer and owner, Universal Audio, already produce their own range of audio plug-ins - the UAD packs; and so branded them under CLA's name instead. Waves also performed this action under the name of Jack Joseph Puig, where some of his favourite outboard, including a Fairchild limiter (sold as Puigchild), and 2 Pultec EQs (sold as Puigtec) was modelled by Waves, who again are widely assumed to have failed in obtaining a license to officially release the plug-ins under their true company names, as they have successfully done with brands including API and Solid State Logic.
Selected production discography
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards, as section. (May 2010)|
- Deftones - Diamond Eyes
- 3 Doors Down - Time of My Life
- Nickelback - Here And Now, Dark Horse (I'd Come for You)
- Art of Dying - Vices and Virtues
- Meat Loaf – Hell in a Handbasket, Hang Cool Teddy Bear
- AFI – Decemberunderground
- Vanessa Amorosi – Hazardous
- Avenged Sevenfold – Almost Easy
- Staind - Staind
- Bad Religion – No Substance
- Blindside – About a Burning Fire
- David Bowie – Time Will Crawl (Dance Crew Mix)
- Boys Like Girls – Hero/Heroine
- Breaking Benjamin - Saturate, Phobia (The Diary of Jane)
- Catfish - Unlimited Address
- Cheap Trick – The Latest
- Comateens – Don't Come Back
- Creed – Full Circle
- Howie Day – "Collide – Chris Lord-Alge Mix" and "She Says – Chris Lord-Alge Mix" and "This Time Around – Chris Lord-Alge Mix"
- Dishwalla – And You Think You Know What Life's About
- Dover (band) - I Ka Kené
- Family Force 5 – Business Up Front/Party in the Back
- FireHouse – Firehouse 3
- Flyleaf – Memento Mori
- Green Day – Nimrod, American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown, ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré!
- Darren Hayes – Spin
- Daughtry – Daughtry, Leave This Town, Break the Spell
- Head Automatica – "Beating Heart Baby - Chris Lord-Alge Mix"
- Hinder – "Lips of an Angel" (Chris Lord Alge Edited Mix) 
- Jack's Mannequin – Everything in Transit and The Glass Passenger
- Lights over Paris — Rescue Me
- Muse - The 2nd Law and Live at Rome Olympic Stadium
- Manic Street Preachers – Send Away The Tigers
- Dave Matthews Band – "Grux" and "Shake Me Like A Monkey" from Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King
- Mindless Self Indulgence - Straight to Video: The Remixes - Song: Straight to Video (Chris Lord-Alge Remix)
- My Chemical Romance – The Black Parade and Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
- Stevie Nicks – Trouble in Shangri-La.
- Paramore – Brand New Eyes
- Theory of a Deadman - The Truth Is..., Scars & Souvenirs, Gasoline
- 10 Years - Feeding the Wolves
- P.O.D. – Testify
- Quietdrive – When All That's Left Is You
- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus – "Lonely Road"
- The Replacements – Don't Tell a Soul
- Rise Against – The Sufferer & the Witness, Appeal to Reason and Endgame
- Three Days Grace - One-X, Life Starts Now, Transit of Venus
- The Rocket Summer – Do You Feel
- Saosin – Voices
- Senses Fail – Still Searching
- Simple Plan – Simple Plan, Get Your Heart On!
- Skillet – Awake
- Slipknot – Dead Memories and Sulfur
- Smashing Pumpkins - Teargarden by Kaleidyscope
- Stone Temple Pilots – "All in the Suit That You Wear" and Stone Temple Pilots
- Sum 41 – Underclass Hero, Screaming Bloody Murder
- Switchfoot – The Beautiful Letdown and Nothing Is Sound
- Billy Talent – Billy Talent II and Dead Silence
- Third Eye Blind – "Can You Take Me" and "Don't Believe A Word" from Ursa Major
- Underoath – Define the Great Line
- World at a Glance (band) – World at a Glance (album) – (produced by Chris Lord-Alge) [1988/Island Records]
- The Used – Lies for the Liars
- Adelitas Way - Home School Valedictorian
- Apocalyptica - 7th Symphony (album)
- Owl City - Dementia (featuring Mark Hoppus)
- Caparezza - Museica (album)
- Dillon Francis - Money Sucks, Friends Rule (album)
- "Secrets of the Mix Engineers: Chris Lord-Alge". Soundonsound.com. May 2007. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "TOM LORD-ALGE: From Manson To Hanson". Soundonsound.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- "Waves Chris Lord-Alge Artist Signature Collection Includes Six Audio Processing Plugins". Gearwire. 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins". Facebook. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Chris Lord-Alge - Official Website (chrislordalge.com)
- Chris Lord-Alge YouTube channel
- Video interview
- Artist Direct entry
- "An Evening With Chris Lord-Alge", EQ Magazine, Sep 2006
- Chris Lord-Alge Feature, RecordProduction.com
- Chris Lord-Alge's Waves Plugin Collection