Chris Mann (singer)
|Birth name||Christopher Michael Mann|
May 5, 1982 |
Wichita, Kansas, United States
|Genres||Opera, adult contemporary, pop, operatic pop|
|Labels||Universal Republic, Republic|
He is currently on playing the lead role of "The Phantom" in the North American Touring production of The Phantom of the Opera. Mann came in fourth on the second season of NBC's television singing competition The Voice in 2012. Mann came in first on Team Christina Aguilera and represented her in the final round.
- 1 Music career
- 2 Discography
- 3 Personal life
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
After graduating in 2000 from Wichita Southeast High School in Wichita, Kansas, Mann attended Vanderbilt University. He graduated from Vanderbilt's Blair School of Music in 2004, with a degree in vocal performance. Mann was a member of the Sigma Nu Fraternity where his pledge name was Buttercup.
After graduation, Mann was cast in an Italian opera in Europe. After moving to Los Angeles, he obtained numerous studio and group singing gigs, including Dalton Academy "Warbler #6" on an episode of Glee, the Sundance Film Festival, and the AFI Life Achievement Award 2010.
His studio work has been featured in the film Avatar, Glee: The 3D Concert Movie, Letters to Juliet, Tangled, Sex and the City 2, The Smurfs, 2012 and The Philanthropist. His recording of "L.O.V.E." was featured in a commercial for season two of Khloé & Lamar, and he has recorded music with Heather Headley, performed with Katharine McPhee, Martina McBride, Mindi Abair, and toured with India.Arie and Idina Menzel.
Mann participated in the season two of the singing reality show The Voice, ultimately placing fourth, behind winner Jermaine Paul, runner-up Juliet Simms, and third-place finisher Tony Lucca. He was initially chosen by judges Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green after singing Andrea Bocelli's "Because We Believe (Ama Credi E Vai)". He chose to be part of Team Christina Aguilera, on whose team he had hoped to be selected from the start.
He advanced to the live shows by defeating Monique Benabou in a duet of "The Power of Love". In his first live show, he performed "Bridge over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel, which earned him a pass to the next round by public vote. During the quarter-finals, he covered "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay, and was again selected for advancement to the semi-finals by public vote. He advanced to the finals, edging out Lindsey Pavao, after singing "Ave Maria".
For the finale, he soloed "You Raise Me Up", sang "The Prayer" in a duet with Aguilera, and covered Aguilera's "The Voice Within". During the final results show, Mann performed "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve for his final performance with previously eliminated semi-finalists Pavao and Katrina Parker. Mann consistently received praise from the other coaches; Cee Lo Green called Mann's voice "incomparable", while Blake Shelton called Mann a "powerhouse" and a "really strong singer".
Performances and results
|Episode||Round||Song||Original artist||Order #||Result|
|1||The Blind Auditions||"Because We Believe (Ama Credi E Vai)"||Andrea Bocelli||5||Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera turned
Joined Team Christina
|6||Battle Rounds||duet "The Power of Love" with Monique Benabou||Jennifer Rush||3||Safe|
|10||Live Rounds||"Bridge Over Troubled Water"||Simon & Garfunkel||2||Safe|
|14||Live Quarter-Final||"Viva la Vida"||Coldplay||8||Safe|
|18||Live Semi-Final||"Ave Maria"||Franz Schubert||3||Safe|
|duet "The Prayer" with Christina Aguilera||Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli||3||Third
|"The Voice Within"||Christina Aguilera||5|
|"You Raise Me Up"||Secret Garden||9|
Mann was planning on releasing a Christmas EP before releasing his full-length studio album. The EP was released three weeks before the October 30, 2012, release of his debut studio album, Roads. While the EP was a Walmart exclusive the album's songs were later released as singles in iTunes.
Shortly after the release of his album and Christmas EP, Mann recorded a PBS concert special titled "Chris Mann in Concert: A Mann for all Seasons". The special premiered on WTVS on December 14 and became available for purchase on DVD and CD shortly after that. The special will air nationwide on March 2013. Both PBS concert specials featured duets with country music legend Martina McBride and jazz saxaphonist Mindi Abair.
While preparing for the second leg of the tour to promote Roads Mann announced he also recorded a Christmas special for PBS. The special, titled "Home for Christmas: The Chris Mann Christmas Special" will premiere on WTVS on August 17th.
Phantom of the Opera, North American Tour
|↙Other charted songs||2|
|↙As featured performer||1|
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|US Adult Contemporary|
|2012||"O Come All Ye Faithful"||20||N/A|
Other charted songs
|2012||"You Raise Me Up"||102
|"The Prayer" (featuring Christina Aguilera)||85
|2012||Home for Christmas||12|
As featured performer
|2012||"Redlight" (featuring Amiena)||–||Amiena - EP|
Mann married his longtime girlfriend, Laura Perloe, in 2013.
- List of American singers
- List of singer-songwriters
- List of people from Los Angeles
- List of people from Wichita, Kansas
- List of Vanderbilt University people
- Neil, Denise (May 8, 2012). "Wichita Native Chris Mann Places Fourth on 'The Voice'". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Neil, Denise (May 4, 2012). "Chris Mann, on Verge of Super Stardom, Thankful for Wichita Fans". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Whittlesey, Kristin (February 7, 2012). "Alumnus Competing on NBC's 'The Voice'. Vanderbilt University. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- [dead link] "Chris Mann – The Voice (Season 2) Profile. NBC.
- [dead link] "Warbler #6. chrismannmusic.com.
- [dead link] "AFI Lifetime Achievement Awards". chrismannmusic.com.
- [dead link] . chrismannmusic.com.
- Loo, Jonathan (January 24, 2012). "Tuesday Tunes: Chris Mann 'L.O.V.E.". Kenton Magazine. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Staff (May 8, 2012). "Jermaine Paul Wins 'The Voice' Season 2 And Justin Bieber Performs 'Boyfriend'. The Huffington Post. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Burzynski, Andrea (May 8, 2012). "'The Voice' Set to Crown a Winner". Reuters. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Etkin, Jaimie; Furlong, Maggie (May 8, 2012). "'The Voice' Season 2: 12 Most Memorable, Shocking, Envelope-Pushing Moments". The Huffington Post. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Mitchell, John (May 7, 2012). "Who Is 'The Voice'? Tony, Juliet, Jermaine and Chris Duke It Out – Final Four Also Perform with Their Judges Before the Winner Is Chosen Tuesday Night". MTV News. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Andres, Craig (March 5, 2012). "Wichitan Chris Mann Has Big Win on National TV". KSNW. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Gallo, Phil (July 27, 2012). "Exclusive: 'Voice' Finalist Chris Mann Records Christmas Album". Billboard. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Ford, Rebecca (July 27, 2012). "Former 'Voice' Contestant Chris Mann Releasing Christmas Album". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Adult Contemporary Chart History
- O Come All Ye Faithful - Single on iTunes
- "Hot Digital Songs (26/05/2012)". Billboard.
- Home For Christmas EP (Walmart Exclusive)