|Full name||Christopher Melling|
|Nickname||Mello, Curtis, Harry Potter|
21 September 1984 |
Ashton-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester, England
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||14 st 7 lb (92 kg) |
|Position||Fullback, Wing, Loose forward|
|As of 15 February 2012|
|Source: Rugby League Project|
Chris Melling (born Ashton-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester) is an English rugby league player for London Broncos in the European Super League. His position of choice is as a Fullback. He can also operate on the Wing or at Hooker and has on occasion played in the Centres, at Stand-off/Five-eighth, Loose forward/Lock and in the Second-row. He is a Great Britain international.21 September 1984 in
Chris Melling attended Byrchall High School and played junior rugby league for the Ashton and Hindley junior clubs. Melling is a youth level international for England, touring Australia and New Zealand with England Under 16s in 2001 and also representing England's U18 Academy.
Melling is a former Wigan Senior Academy captain who made several appearance for the Wigan first team.
In 2004's Super League IX it had seemed that Melling's career was in doubt following a serious knee injury suffered playing for Wigan against Leeds at Headingley. Melling had been seen as a future star before having his season ended by a cruciate ligament injury.
Melling returned to full fitness in 2006, but found first team opportunities limited, due to the emergence of Chris Ashton at the club. Chris Melling moved into the Hooker role in Wigan's academy, impressing enough to be voted as the U'21 Academy 'Player of the Year' for 2006.
He left Wigan to pursue regular first team football.
Melling was initially signed as a back-up hooker to Chad Randall, however the Great Britain international has made Fullback position his own. He has been compared to Wade McKinnon with the youngster being defensively solid and dependable, with an eye for a gap bringing the ball out in attack. His move to Harlequins was to have seen the youngster undergo a positional change with a move to hooker. He had been previously employed throughout the backline, with most of his first team appearances coming as an outside back.
Melling has impressed in 2007, starting games at full-back and throughout the backline and scoring four tries. In May 2007 Chris Melling agreed to a new two-year deal with Harlequins Rugby League, midway through his first season at the Twickenham Stoop. This will keep Melling in the capital until 2009. He is seen as the emerging star at the Harlequins, with Harlequins RL investing in young British talent.
In June 2007 Melling was called up to the Great Britain squad and was Fullback in the Test match against France. He was joined in the Great Britain Test side by Harlequins teammate Paul Sykes. Melling made his Great Britain début in the 42-14 victory over the French on June 22, 2007, despite carrying an injury.
Away from football
Melling is a qualified Physiotherapist after studying at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, graduating in June 2006. Melling hopes to set up his own physiotherapy practise in the future.
- "Harlequins Rugby League". web page. Harlequins Rugby League. 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Chris Melling". Quins. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- "Langley Leads GB to Victory". Bradford. 2002-12-09. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- "Leeds 36-24 Wigan". BBC. 2004-03-19. Retrieved 2007-05-29.
- "Wigan duo agree fresh deals". BBC. 2004-08-25. Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- Hadfield, Dave (2007-06-08). "Melling ready to make Wigan pay again for mistake". London: Independent. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- "League Playing squad 2006/2007". Quins. 2007-07-22. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- "Harlequins swoop for British trio". BBC. 2006-09-21. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Sykes and Melling make the GB squad". Quins. 2007-06-20. Retrieved 2007-06-21.
- "Quins land young British trio". Quins RL. 2006-09-21. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- Gordos, Phil (2007-06-15). "Melling call-up a sign of the times". BBC. Retrieved 2007-06-15.
- "New deal for Melling". Quins.co.uk. 2007-05-29. Retrieved 2007-05-29.
- Lester, Joanna: "Joanna Lester chats to two stars who are particularly familiar with today's opposition...", game on!, Harlequins RL v Wigan Warriors, p41, 2nd June 2007
- "Club-by-club guide: Harlequins". Sportinglife. 2007-07-22. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- "Eight new faces in Lions squad". BBC. 2007-06-12. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "Melling and Sykes named in GB squad". Quins RL. 2007-06-13. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "What our GB player has to say". Quins RL. 2007-06-13. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "New-look GB select five new caps". BBC. 2007-06-20. Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- "Melling and Sykes to play at Headingley". Quins. 2007-06-20. Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- "Great Britain 42-14 France". BBC. 2007-06-22. Retrieved 2007-06-24.
- "Hungry Lions Please Smith". SportingLife. 2007-06-22. Retrieved 2007-06-24.
- Wilson, Andy (2007-06-23). "Morley finally gets on scoresheet as Smith's new-look turn up trumps". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- "Wigan Player Profile". Wigan. 2007-07-22. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- Lester, Joanna: "Joanna Lester chats to full back and budding physiotherapist Chris Melling", game on!, Harlequins RL v Wakefield, p41, 14th April 2007
- Quins RL profile
- Chris Melling Wigan Career Page on the Wigan RL Fansite.
- Always seems to be a lot of movement for the London club
- Wigan Player Profile
- Quins land young British trio
- Melling Kicks 10 goals
- Carney praises Wigan's young guns
- Wigan profile