Chris Nelson (baseball)
|Cincinnati Reds – No. 27|
September 3, 1985 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 19, 2010 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||93|
Christopher Lars Nelson (born September 3, 1985) is an American professional baseball infielder in the Cincinnati Reds organization. He has played for the Colorado Rockies from 2010 through 2013, New York Yankees in 2013 and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2013.
The Colorado Rockies selected Nelson in the first round, with the ninth overall selection, of the 2004 amateur entry draft, and received the third largest signing bonus in Rockies history. In July 2007, while playing for the Modesto Nuts, Nelson was named Rockies Farm Player of the Month.
On September 9, 2010, Nelson stole home plate against Cincinnati Reds pitcher Nick Masset, scoring what would be the deciding run in the Rockies' victory, their seventh straight. It was Nelson's first career stolen base, and the first time he had stolen home plate at any level.
Though he struggled at the MLB level during the 2011 season, Nelson was announced as the third base starter along with Jordan Pacheco during Spring Training in 2012. He was designated for assignment on April 28, 2013.
New York Yankees
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
On May 18, 2013, Nelson was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was designated for assignment on June 10, 2013, and accepted an assignment to the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees on June 13. Following the trade of Alberto Callaspo on July 31, Nelson's contract was selected from Salt Lake. On August 15, he hit his first career grand slam against Yankees reliever Boone Logan. After the season, Nelson was non-tendered by the Angels, making him a free agent.
Nelson signed a minor league deal with the Cincinnati Reds on January 28, 2014.
|2008||AFL Rising Stars|
|2007||Baseball America High Class A All-Star|
|2007||CAL Post-Season All-Star|
|2006||SAL Mid-Season All-Star|
- "Rockies select Nelson in first round: High school shortstop taken ninth overall in 2004 First-Year Player Draft". colorado.rockies.mlb.com. June 7, 2004. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- Ringolsby, Tracy (February 11, 2005). "Top Ten Prospects: Colorado Rockies". Baseball America. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- Weiss, Brad (August 2, 2007). "Rockies Farm Player of the Month". scout.com. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment". Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Twitter / MikeDiGiovanna: Source: #Angels will not be tendering contracts to RHP Tommy Hanson and 3B Chris Nelson. These moves were expected.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Chris Nelson on Twitter
- MiLB.com player profile