No. 80 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
|Date of birth:January 6, 1990|
|Place of birth: Oxnard, California|
|High school: Westlake Village (CA) Oaks Christian|
|Undrafted in 2012|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012
Chris Owusu (born January 6, 1990) is an American football wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League. He played college football at Stanford. He was signed by the San Francisco 49ers after going undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft.
He also played for the San Diego Chargers.
Owusu graduated from Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, California, and was ranked as the 36th best wide receiver in the nation. He was named an All-American wide receiver by SuperPrep, as well as an All-Northwest Section choice by the Ventura County Star and a first-team All-Tri-Valley League selection as a senior in 2007. In his senior year, Owusu caught 32 passes for 563 yards and six touchdowns despite playing in only seven games due to an injury. Owusu also contributed on defense, recording 30 tackles and two interceptions on defense. The year before, he had 33 catches for 747 yards and nine TDs, and eventually was named first-team All-Tri-Valley League, while recording 23 tackles and one interception. During his high school career, the team posted a 46-3 overall record and won four consecutive CIF Southern Section titles. Owusu also played basketball, and added two All-Tri-Valley League honors in his sophomore and junior seasons. He majored in human biology.
Track and field
Other than football, Owusu was also an all-state sprinter as a junior in 2007, breaking the Ventura County meet record in the 100 meter in 2007 with a time of 10.65 seconds. He also recorded a personal best of 21.71 seconds in the 200 meter.
|100 meters||10.65||Moorpark, California||April 27, 2007|
|200 meters||21.71||Cerritos, California||April 19, 2007|
Much of Owusu's career has been riddled with injuries, including 3 concussions in a 13-month span, starting in his freshman year at Stanford University, when he tore his MCL during fall camp, and only started 5 games that year. He recorded 5 receptions for 80 yards, and 0 touchdowns. Owusu also was a kick returner, with 14 kickoff returns for 326 yards and 0 touchdowns. In 2009, he started 9 games and led the team in touchdowns. In his junior year, he missed 4 games with a hand injury he sustained against Washington State, and also suffered a concussion against the Oregon Ducks. In his final season, he recorded 35 receptions for 376 yards, 2 rushes for 78 yards, as well as 8 kickoff returns for 177 yards. For his career, Owusu averaged 26.6 yards on 78 kickoff returns at and tied a Pac-10 record as a sophomore with three returns for touchdowns (94, 91 and 85 yards). However, as a senior he was knocked out of two games, against Washington State with a concussion, and against USC with a shoulder injury. His worst injury in his college career was against the Oregon State Beavers, where he took a helmet-to-helmet hit with Jordan Poyer with 4:26 remaining in the first half. Owusu remained conscious after the injury, and was pulled off the field via ambulance. He eventually returned to Reser Stadium, but did not play.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 0 in||196 lb||4.36 s||11.25 s||6.85 s||40.5 in||10 ft 9 in||19 reps|
|All values from the NFL Combine|
At the NFL Scouting Combine, Owusu ran a 4.36 time at the 40-yard dash, which tied for the second fastest overall. He wasn't selected in the 2012 NFL Draft, with his concussion against Oregon State and past injury history being a factor. He was eventually signed by the San Francisco 49ers, reuniting him with Jim Harbaugh. He was later waived as part of the 49ers final roster cuts.
Owusu has a brother, Brian, who plays defensive back at Harvard. His sister, Crystal, is a guard on the Columbia basketball team. His brother Francis Owusu will be following in his footsteps, as he has committed to playing wide receiver for the Stanford Cardinal football team. 
- "Chris Owusu Profile - Stanford University's Official Athletic Site". Gostanford.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- Kevin Gemmell (2011-11-05). "Stanford Cardinal WR Chris Owusu taken off field in ambulance - ESPN". Espn.go.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10. Text " emailCollege FootballFollowArchive " ignored (help)
- "Chris Owusu Draft Profile –". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- Relations, Public (2012-09-04). "San Diego Chargers: Chris Owusu". Chargers.com. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- Katzowitz, Josh (2012-04-29). "49ers sign Chris Owusu as undrafted free agent". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Harbaugh adds Stanford wideout Owusu | ProFootballTalk". Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Owusu ends up on Chargers practice squad". Csnbayarea.com. 2012-09-01. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- "Chris Owusu signs with Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Sammie Stroughter likely to IR". Bucsnation.com. 2012-09-20. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Potkey, Rhiannon. "Sibling revelry in Owusu household » Ventura County Star". Vcstar.com. Retrieved 2012-07-10.