March 21, 1977 |
Providence, Rhode Island
|Occupation||Screenwriter, film director, actor|
|Spouse(s)||Kerri Morrone Sparling|
After writing, directing, and acting in several low-budget independent films, Sparling found mainstream success when his feature length screenplay Buried was purchased by producer Peter Safran. Spanish director Rodrigo Cortés and actor Ryan Reynolds worked on the project.
The film premiered at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival to high critical praise and was eventually sold to Lionsgate Films. After later playing additional film festivals worldwide—including the Toronto International Film Festival, as well as winning the Méliès d'Or Award at the Sitges Film Festival—it received a limited theatrical release in September 2010, earning over $18 million worldwide. The film was later released on DVD in January 2011.
Sparling was awarded Best Original Screenplay by the 2010 National Board of Review for Buried and the film was selected as on the 10 Best Independent Films of 2010. He also won a Goya Award in 2011 for Best Original Screenplay, and he was nominated for a Gaudi Award as well in the same category.
Sparling later wrote the script ATM, a suspense thriller produced by Peter Safran and shot in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the fall of 2010  and released in 2012 by IFC Films. He also wrote Reincarnate for producer M. Night Shyamalan, the second film of a three-part series known as The Night Chronicles.
In 2014, Sparling was hired by Warner Brothers and Leonardo DiCaprio to adapt the crime novel Blood on Snow, written by author Jo Nesbo. This same year, his original screenplay, The Sea of Trees, went into production, starring Matthew McConaughey, Naomi Watts, and Ken Watanabe, and directed by Gus Van Sant.
Variety named Sparling one of "10 Screenwriters to Watch" in its November 2014 issue.. Two months later, Sparling's horror-thriller film The Atticus Institute, which he both wrote and directed, was released by Anchor Bay Films. Universal Pictures will distribute the film internationally.
- An Uzi at the Alamo (2005)
- Balance (2007)
- Buried (2010)
- ATM (2012)
- The Atticus Institute (2015)
- Sea of Trees (2015)
- The Warning (2015)
- Chris Sparling, IMDB page
- RUNNING OUT OF AIR: PENNING MIDNIGHT MOVIE “BURIED”
- Buried - Rotten Tomatoes
- Sundance: Ryan Reynolds' 'Buried' sold to Lionsgate.
- Buried wins the Méliès d'Or
- Buried - Box Office Mojo
- Bardem among Spain's Goya winners - Kudos for Buried
- Catalan Oscars to be celebrated tonight
- ATM, IMDB page
- Chris Sparling’s ATM Details Revealed
- MRC And M. Night Shyamalan 'Reincarnate'
- Daniel Stamm to Helm Next M. Night Shyamalan “Night Chronicles” Picture, REINCARNATE
- The Atticus Institute Image Gallery Possesses the Internet
- "Morena Films Thinking Outside the Box". Variety. 2014.