Chris Stokes (director)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
Chris Stokes in August 2013
|Other names||Christopher B. Stokes|
|Occupation||Film director, Record producer, Screenwriter, Film producer|
Chris Stokes' career has its origins in writing and producing records. He came to public attention in 1995, producing his sister Juanita Stokes' single Mind Blowin'. He discovered several major acts of the 90's such as IMx/Immature, B2K, and Brandy and helped shape the solo careers of Marques Houston and Omarion.
Stokes has writing and producing credits on Destiny's Child's The Writing's on the Wall, distributed by Columbia Records, which has sold over 17 million copies worldwide. He has written and produced for Bobby Brown, all B2K albums, and also wrote and produced for the solo careers of Marques Houston and Omarion. During this period Stokes also served as Vice President of A&M/Interscope Records.
Transition to film and television
Stokes first became connected with Film and Television through the talent he managed. In 1992, Marques Houston made his acting debut in the animated comedy film Bébé's Kids, and received his big break as a regular on Sister, Sister in 1995. All three members of Immature appeared in the film House Party 3 (1994).
His first film credit came in 2001 as the Writer/Director of House Party 4, which starred Immature, which by then had transitioned to their new name IMx. However, he is most widely recognized as the Writer/Director of the 2004 hit dance movie You Got Served, starring members of his TUG record label. The cast included B2K and Marques Houston. The film opened at #1 at the box office during Super Bowl weekend with $16 million grossed in its first week.
He also wrote and directed Somebody Help Me and Somebody Help Me 2, two horror/slasher films. The films were distributed by Vivendi. The company's second feature, The Helpers, another horror film, was completed in 2011 and the first of Stokes' films not star talent from his music career. Its release date is September 28, 2012. Also in 2011, Stokes returned to the dance battle genre with the dance-drama Battlefield America, starring Marques Houston, Gary Anthony Sturgis, and Lynn Whitfield. The movie follows a young businessman whose community service obligations require him to turn a group of misfit kids into a dance team. The movie was distributed domestically by Cinedigm, and opened in theaters June 1, 2012.
|2001||House Party 4||Writer, Director||cameo appearance as "Ray Ray"|
|2004||You Got Served||Writer, Director|
|2007||Somebody Help Me||Writer, Director, Producer|
|2010||Somebody Help Me 2||Writer, Director, Producer|
|2012||Battlefield America||Writer, Director, Producer|
|The Helpers||Writer, Director, Producer|
|Boogie Town||Writer, Director, Producer||Not yet released|
- Chris Stokes at the Internet Movie Database
- Official Chris Stokes
- Chris Stokes Entertainment
- Brian & Barrett Pictures Official Site
- "CHRIS STOKES, a Platinum Plus West Coast Music Producer/Director, And Manager of the Hottest Hip-Hop Music Artists in the World Zooms Into the Illuminating Spotlight and Branches Out To Ionospheric Dimensions With Films!" http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chris-stokes-a-platinum-plus-west-coast-music-producerdirector-and-manager-of-the-hottest-hip-hop-music-artists-in-the-world-zooms-into-the-illuminating-spotlight-and-branches-out-to-ionospheric-dimensions-with-films-71148637.html May 29, 2003. PR Newswire.
- "CHRIS STOKES, CEO of THE ULTIMATE GROUP, Will Announce Company's New Film and Television Divisions, CHRISTOPHER BRIAN FILMS and THE ULTIMATE GROUP FILMS & TELEVISION" http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chris-stokes-ceo-of-the-ultimate-group-will-announce-companys-new-film-and-television-divisions-christopher-brian-films-and-the-ultimate-group-films--television-71337747.html June 23, 2003. PR Newswire.
- Official Chris Stokes. http://officialchrisstokes.com. Retrieved August 16, 2012.