Chris Turner (footballer, born 1987)
|Full name||Christopher Turner|
|Date of birth||3 January 1987|
|Place of birth||Ballymoney, Northern Ireland|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|2006–2008||Northern Ireland U-21||12||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3/5/2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Turner began his career at Derby County but moved to Ireland to join Sligo Rovers in December 2005 after the club returned to the top flight by winning the First Division title a month earlier. Turner helped Sligo to fifth position in their first season back in the big time and remained at the Showgrounds for the opening half of the 2007 season before signing for Bohemians in the July transfer window.
At Dalymount Park, Turner made his club debut in an FAI Cup win over Malahide United on 19 August 2007. However, after Sean Connor departed at the end of that season, Turner found himself out of favour under Pat Fenlon and he left the Gypsies by mutual consent in July 2008. He eventually signed for Partick Thistle. He had had a trial at Rangers F.C. before signing for Partick.
He was released by the Firhill outfit midway through the 2008–09 campaign, however, and he returned to Ireland and signed for Dundalk. He made his debut for the Lilywhites in the opening night defeat by Bohemians at Oriel Park on 6 March 2009 and scored his first club goals a fortnight later with two penalties in a 3–0 win at home to Drogheda United.
Despite apparently signing again for Sligo he was on the verge of quitting without playing a game. Turner signed for Shamrock Rovers on 29 January 2010, but Sligo lodged an appeal against the signing. In March 2010, Turner was declared a free agent. He made his Rovers debut at Morton Stadium on 5 April. He scored in the second round of qualifications for the 2011–12 UEFA Champions League in a match with Flora Tallinn at Tallaght Stadium, and contributed to the first victory for Shamrock Rovers in the elite competition.
On 29 August 2012, Turner left The Hoops by mutual consent citing personal reasons. His last appearance for Rovers ended in a sending off. He scored a total of 12 goals in 94 total appearances for Rovers. These included 13 appearances in European competitions including the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League group stages.
Turner has appeared for Northern Ireland at many underage levels and was a regular in the Under 21 side.
- Shamrock Rovers
- "Partick | Turner opts for Firhill contract". BBC Sport. 3 September 2008. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- Rogers, James. "Turner signs on at Oriel — Dundalk Today". Dundalkdemocrat.ie. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Bohs get bulk of PFAI nominations". The Irish Times. 5 November 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Turner poised for exit as Galway, Hoops keep tabs | Dundalk". eleven-a-side.com. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Turner & Walsh sign for Hoops". Shamrock Rovers Football Club. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Hoops sign duo, but appeal is lodged". extratime.ie. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Turner able to choose his own club". extratime.ie. 11 March 2010. Retrieved 11 March 2010.
- "DRC decision on Chris Turner registration". Shamrock Rovers Football Club. 11 March 2010. Retrieved 11 March 2010.
- "Chris Turner leaves Shamrock Rovers ahead of a switch to Dumbarton". rte.ie. RTÉ Sport. 29 August 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "New Signing". dumbartonfootballclub.com. Dumbarton. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.