||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
|Engineering discipline||Structural engineer|
|Institution memberships||FREng, FICE, MIStructE, RDI, Hon FRIBA, FRSA|
|Practice name||Expedition Engineering|
|Significant projects||American Air Museum, Duxford
Millennium Bridge (London)
Infinity Bridge, Stockton on Tees
2012 Olympic Velodrome
|Significant awards||IStructE Gold Medal
Royal Academy of Engineering Silver Medal
Professor Christopher (Chris) Mark Wise BSc MIStructE MIABSE FRSA RDI (born 1956) is an English academic and engineer. Wise began his career with Ove Arup and Partners in 1979. After working in UK, Australia and US, he became Arup’s youngest Director in 1992, and later became one of five Board Directors responsible for Building Engineering’s 500 engineers and support staff. In 1999 he left Arup and co-founded Expedition Engineering together with Seán Walsh.
In 2008 Wise, Walsh and Ed McCann, the three remaining shareholders in Expedition Engineering, gave the company over to the benefit of its employees, becoming the Useful Simple Trust.
Wise was the first Professor of Creative Design at Imperial College, as well as Master of the Royal Designers for Industry 2007–2009. He is co-director of the Royal Designers Summer School and has been co-presenter at the BBC's reconstruction of several pieces of ancient technology.
Since 2012 Wise has spent two days a week at University College London (UCL) as Professor of Civil Engineering Design.
Wise has been a Member of IStructE since the 1980s. He is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, and was awarded the academy's highest individual honour, the Silver Medal, in 2007. Since 2003 he has been a Trustee of the Design Council. In 2008, he became a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers by presidential invitation.
- "One of the most outstanding engineers of his generation. Projects such as the Torre del Collaerola, the War Museum in Duxford and the headquarters of the Commerzbank in Frankfurt exemplify his design flair. His enthusiasm and creativity inspire his colleagues and students. He is one of those rare role models which the profession desperately needs."
- 2012 Olympic Velodrome, London
- Infinity Bridge, Stockton-on-Tees
- Barcelona Bullring
- Greek National Library and Opera House, Athens
- Intesa Sanpaolo Bank HQ tower, Turin
- Redevelopment of 55 Baker Street, London
- Constructionarium ("Building to Learn" for undergraduates)
- Millennium Bridge, London
- Barcelona Communications Tower
- Commerzbank HQ tower, Frankfurt
- Channel 4 HQ, London
- American Air Museum, Duxford
- Carre d’Art de Nîmes
- Bordeaux Law Courts
- Century Tower, Tokyo
- "Prof Chris Wise, RDI". Debrett's. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- "Trailblazing Engineer", Ingenia 56, September 2013
- "Civil Engineers honoured with Fellowship from the academy". Imperial College London. Retrieved 26 April 2011.