Christ Church, Ince-in-Makerfield
|Christ Church, Ince-in-Makerfield|
Christ Church, Ince-in-Makerfield, from the northwest
|OS grid reference||SD 596 048|
|Location||Ince Green Lane, Lower Ince, Ince-in-Makerfield,
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||8 August 1966|
|Architect(s)||E. G. Paley|
|Materials||Rock-faced stone, slate roofs|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Samantha Nicholson|
Christ Church, Ince-in-Makerfield, is located in Ince Green Lane, Lower Ince, Ince-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Wigan, the archdeaconry of Warrington, and the diocese of Liverpool. Its benefice is combined with that of St Catharine, Wigan. The church is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.
The church was built between 1861 and 1864 to a design by the Lancaster architect E. G. Paley. When originally planned in 1860 it had been intended to seat 700 people. This was amended the following year to a church seating 677 at an estimated cost of £5,000 (£400,000 as of 2014).
Christ Church is constructed in rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings, and has a slate roof. Its plan consists of a five-bay nave, north and south transepts, a chancel ending in a polygonal apse, north and south vestries, and a porch at the west end. To the east of the north transept is a turret. In the nave there are two-light windows containing plate tracery. Above the porch at the west end is a four-light window with Geometric tracery, and a small single-light window above it. The transepts contain wheel windows with plate tracery. The windows in the chancel have two lights with Geometrical tracery. The stained glass in the west window, dating from 1893, is by F. Holt.
- Christ Church, Ince-in-Makerfield, Church of England, retrieved 4 June 2011
- English Heritage. "Christ Church, Wigan (1228324)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Pollard, Richard; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2006), Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 210, ISBN 0-300-10910-5
- UK CPI inflation numbers based on data available from Gregory Clark (2013), "What Were the British Earnings and Prices Then? (New Series)" MeasuringWorth.
- Brandwood, Geoff; Austin, Tim; Hughes, John; Price, James (2012), The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin, Swindon: English Heritage, p. 220, ISBN 978-1-84802-049-8
Media related to Christ Church, Ince-in-Makerfield at Wikimedia Commons