|Motto||Excellence and Service|
|Established||July 15, 1969|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr Fr Thomas C Mathew, CMI|
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Christ University is a private deemed to be university in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Founded in 1969, it is managed by the priests of Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI), the first indigenous Syrian Catholic religious congregation in India. The college was granted deemed to be university status in 2008.
The university offers a range of nationally and internationally recognized undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in a variety of academic disciplines including Law, Business Administration, Commerce, Management, Humanities, Sciences, and Social Sciences. In addition, it offers professional courses in a number of fields including Business Management, Computer Application, Hotel Management, Mass Communication, Social Work, Engineering and Tourism.
Christ College was recognized by the University Grants Commission of India, (UGC) on June 17, 1972. It was accredited by the NAAC, a UGC-funded body, in 1998 and reaccredited in 2005. Christ College has the distinction of being the first college in the state of Karnataka to be accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), for quality education. It is currently rated an A+ institution by the NAAC and was recognized as a College with Potential for Excellence.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Academics
- 3 Publications
- 4 World Records
- 5 Controversies
- 6 Traditions and student activities
- 7 People
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Organization and administration
The university's main campus is spread over a large area of 25 acres (100,000 m2) and is part of the 100-acre (400,000 m2) Dharmaram College Campus in the central part of Bangalore city. This campus is located on the extension of Hosur Road (NH 7) opposite the Bangalore Dairy Flyover.
In 2009, Christ University opened an Eco-friendly campus spread over 75 acres at Kengeri on the Bangalore-Mysore highway SH 17 which houses the Faculty of Engineering, PU Residential college and the Christ University Institute of Management (CUIM). The city campus is placed close to residential localities such as BTM Layout, which is one of the most popular residential and commercial places in Bangalore, Koramangala, another large neighborhood and Jayanagar, one of the largest residential neighborhoods in Bangalore.
Christ University offers certificate, diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs in academic disciplines classified under the Schools of Law, Education, Sciences, Social Sciences & Languages, Commerce & Management and Engineering.
Undergraduate programmes are of three-year duration except in the case of Bachelor of Education (B.Ed, one year), Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM, four years), Bachelor of Laws (LL.B, five years), Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech, four years) and an integrated B. Tech/M. Tech or M.B.A (five years).
Higher education rankings
India Today had rated the institutions of higher education in India on several parameters and the rankings for the year 2013 are summarised in the table
|Bachelor of Business Administration||1|
The university publishes six peer reviewed journals: Artha-Journal of Social Sciences, Mapana-Journal of Sciences, Ushus-Journal of Business Management, Atna-Journal of Tourism Studies, Tattva-Journal of Philosophy  and Christ University Law Journal. The university has published over 220 books in Kannada, through Kannada Sangha, a non-profit organization promoting Kannada around the world.
On 10 January 2011, Christ Junior College, Bangalore, under ensemble director Vineeth Vincent, in an event titled 'Can You Say Beat Box?' created the largest human beatbox ensemble in the Limca Book of Records with 2136 participants.
According to the Guinness World Records, the record for the largest human beatbox ensemble was achieved by Christ University (India) in Bangalore, Karnataka, India, on 5 February 2011 under ensemble director Vineeth Vincent involving 1,246 participants. This record was broken by Shlomo on 14 November 2011 with 2,081 participants.
Christ University is involved in a controversy surrounding the granting of deemed university status. According to norms, before the status is granted, the affiliating university (Bangalore University in this case) is required to submit a “No-Objection Certificate" (NoC) to the UGC. The state government refused to grant the request for a NoC, and Bangalore University did not send an official NoC either. Instead, the UGC relied on ambiguous text in a letter from Bangalore University's registrar. This led to the inclusion of Christ University in a list of 44 universities that were to be derecognized as deemed universities. As of November 2011[update] the matter is still waiting the final decision of the supreme court. However, the court has maintained status quo on this issue and Christ University continues to be a deemed university.
Traditions and student activities
- Francis George, Politician, Kerala
- Gautham Karthik, Tamil film actor
- K M Chaitanya, Film maker, Theater director
- Krishna Byre Gowda, M.L.A., Karnataka and President, Karnataka Youth Congress
- Meghana Raj, South Indian Actress
- Nicole Faria, Miss Earth 2010
- Rima Kallingal, Malayalam film actor
- Vineeth Vincent, Beat boxer
- "Selection of colleges under CPE scheme". Website. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Admissions". Website. Christ University. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- The Best Colleges of India. India Today. 24 June 2013.
- "Artha". Website. Christ University. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Mapana". Website. Christ University. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Ushus". Website. Christ University. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Atna". Website. Christ University. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Tattva". Website. Christ University. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "CULJ". Website. Christ University. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "This world record will be a mouthful". Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Christ College Sets National Beatboxing Record". Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Christ University students attempt record in beatboxing". Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Christ Junior College beatboxers aim to set a new record". Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "Largest human beatbox ensemble". Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "Largest human beatbox ensemble". Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- "Deemed status: Bangalore University breaks its own rules?". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2008-08-06.
- "Centre to derecognise 44 deemed universities". ndtv.com. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Govt says 44 deemed universities must be de-recognised". ndtv.com. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christ University, Bangalore.|