Christchurch Convention Centre
|Christchurch Convention Centre|
Christchurch Convention Centre in August 2011
|Demolished||March / April 2012|
|Other dimensions||8 m high ceiling, 90 m length|
|Floor area||1,850 square metres (19,900 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Warren and Mahoney|
|Awards and prizes||1997 NZIA Local Award|
The Christchurch Convention Centre was located in Kilmore Street in the city centre.
The design was an extruded concrete box with a glass façade facing the Christchurch Town Hall across Kilmore Street, over which a glazed airbridge linked these two and the Crowne Plaza Hotel, adjacent to the Town Hall.
The Convention Centre had a capacity of 2,500 people. There were seven breakout rooms, and three halls that could be hired separately or together, to host major plenary sessions for 2,200 people theatre-style.
Two major artworks were featured in the building: "Blue" a neon sculpture by Bill Cuthbert, was on the façade, and the 84 m mural "Passport to the New Millennium", by Philip Trusttum was in the circulation space that ran the full length of the building.
The Christchurch Convention Centre hosted many international conferences including APEC Small and Medium Enterprise Economics Conference, Shiseido Japan, New Zealand Law Society, Law ASIA, and the 11th Asian Retailers Conference and Exhibition, as well as many charity gala dinners.
In August 2011, the Convention Centre and several other public buildings were "recommended for demolition" because of extensive damage suffered in the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake and an aftershock on 13 June.
The Convention Centre was demolished in March / April 2012 (see photo).
- "Christchurch Convention Centre". Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Christchurch Convention Centre". Vbase. Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/6266298/Call-to-save-artworks-from-centre Retrieved 9 August 2012
- "Engineers recommend AMI stadium demolition". nzherald.co.nz. 9 August 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Earthquake update". Vbase. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christchurch Convention Centre.|
- Christchurch Convention Centre
- "Blue" Bill Cuthbert, Photograph, 2000, by Ross Coombes http://www.flickr.com/photos/scapechristchurch/6049074712/lightbox/