|Full name||Christian Gustavo Bassedas|
|Date of birth||16 February 1973|
|Place of birth||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Midfielder / Sweeper (retired)|
|2002||→ Tenerife (loan)||14||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Christian Gustavo Bassedas (born 16 February 1973 in Buenos Aires) is a retired Argentine football defensive midfielder who works as general manager (not to confuse with coach) for Vélez Sársfield of the Argentine Primera División.
Bassedas is most notable for his spell at Vélez Sársfield, where he made 267 appearances for the club, giving him the eleventh most appearances in their history.
Bassedas is a product of Vélez Sársfield youth divisions, club where he debuted professionally on 3 March 1991. He played as an sweeper (libero), and was an important part of Vélez most successful years during the 1990s. He won four national championships with the club, and five international (including the 1994 Intercontinental Cup, where he was a starter in the 2-0 victory over A.C. Milan).
In 2000 he joined English FA Premier League club Newcastle United for £3,500,000. He played for them in the period 2000–2003, though on loan to Tenerife briefly during the 2001–02 season. He scored once in the league for Newcastle in a 3-1 defeat at Chelsea in January 2001.
For the end of 2008, Bassedas was appointed as general manager of Vélez Sársfield. His first order of business was to recommend Ricardo Gareca to fill the coaching spot. He was also essential in the negotiations to bring Maximiliano Moralez, Sebastián Domínguez and Joaquín Larrivey to the club. On his first season as manager, Vélez won the Clausura 09.
Bassedas played for the Argentine national team during the 1998 FIFA World Cup qualification matches, but was not part of the squad for the World Cup. He also won a silver medal at the 1996 Olympics and a gold medal at the 1995 Pan Americans, where he captained the team.
- Primera División Argentina (4): Clausura 93, Apertura 95, Clausura 96, Clausura 98
- Copa Libertadores (1): 1994
- Intercontinental Cup (1): 1994
- Copa Interamericana (1): 1994
- Supercopa Sudamericana (1): 1996
- Recopa Sudamericana (1): 1997
Argentina national team
- "No capital return for Newcastle". BBC. 31 January 2001. Retrieved 3 November 2009.
- "'Perdí el amor por el fútbol'" (in Spanish). Página/12. 30 August 2003. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- Daily Hairdryer
- "Bassedas: "Gareca siempre fue mi candidato"" (in Spanish). TyC Sports. 17 December 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- Christian Bassedas at National-Football-Teams.com
- (Spanish) Argentine Primera statistics at Fútbol XXI
- (Spanish) Career statistics at BDFA
- (Spanish) Profile at Vélez Sársfield's official website