Borle at the 2014 MontClair Film Festival
|Born||Christian D. Borle
October 1, 1973
|Occupation||stage, television actor, singer, dancer|
|Spouse(s)||Sutton Foster (2006–2010)|
Borle was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the son of a Swiss father who was a professor of physiology at the University of Pittsburgh. His love for Star Wars and drawing made him want to become a comic book artist when he grew up, but it was only when a friend convinced him to audition for a school play in his sophomore year that he began to develop an interest in acting.
He attended St. Edmund's Academy in Pittsburgh, where he played Scrooge in a 1987 production of Dickens's A Christmas Carol, but graduated from Shady Side Academy. He went on to attend Carnegie Mellon University before moving to New York in September 1995.
Borle made his Broadway debut in 1998, understudying the role of Willard in the stage adaptation of the film Footloose. He was featured in the 2000 revival of Jesus Christ Superstar, and was the dance captain and understudy of several characters for the short-lived 2002 musical Amour.
In 2003 he replaced Gavin Creel in the role of Jimmy in Thoroughly Modern Millie. He married his co-star, actress Sutton Foster, who had played Millie, in September 2006. On a radio interview in 2010 it was confirmed that Christian and Sutton had separated.
Borle performed Monty Python's Spamalot, in which he originated a number of roles, including Prince Herbert and the Historian. His performance earned him a 2005 Drama Desk Award nomination as Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical and a Broadway.com Audience Award as Favorite Featured Actor in a Musical. He is best known on Broadway, however, for originating Emmett Forrest in Legally Blonde, for which he was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical. The musical is based on MGM's 2001 film of the same name.
He was featured in the Encores! staged concert version of On the Town as Ozzie, running in November 2008. He appeared in a workshop production of a new play titled Peter and the Starcatcher in 2009. He played Bert in the Broadway production of Mary Poppins, replacing Adam Fiorentino in the role on October 12, 2009 and then left the cast July 15, 2010.
In 2010, he appeared in The Bounty Hunter, in which he played a golf caddy. In Fall 2010/Winter 2011, Borle played the role of Prior Walter in Signature Theatre Company's 20th anniversary production of Tony Kushner's Angels in America.
On February 25, 2011, it was announced that Borle had joined Steven Spielberg's new NBC pilot Smash with Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston, Katharine McPhee, Brian d'Arcy James, and Megan Hilty. The series follows a cross section of characters who come together to mount a Marilyn Monroe-themed musical (which is called Bombshell) on Broadway. In May 2011, it was reported that NBC had picked up the show as a series for the 2011–2012 season. In March 2012, NBC announced it would renew the series for a second season with 15 episodes.
Borle was a member of the original cast in the Regional and Off-Broadway productions of Peter and the Starcatcher that ran until April 24, 2011. He reprised the role of Black Stache on Broadway in April 2012, where his performance earned him his second Tony Award nomination and first win as Best Featured Actor in a Play. He ended his run in the Broadway production of Peter and the Starcatcher on June 30, 2012, to take a break before taping for Smash began in August 2012.
Borle started dating actress Sutton Foster in college, and married her on September 18, 2006. During a radio interview in 2010, it was confirmed that they had gone their separate ways. Foster and Borle still remain good friends and continue to support each other's work.
|2015||Something Rotten!||Broadway||William Shakespeare (Original Broadway Cast)|
|2012||Peter and the Starcatcher||Broadway||Black Stache (Original Broadway Cast)|
|2010||Angels in America||Off-Broadway||Prior Walter|
|2009||Peter and the Starcatcher||Regional||Black Stache|
|Mary Poppins||Broadway||Bert (Replacement)|
|2008||On the Town||Concert||Ozzie|
|2007||Legally Blonde||Broadway||Emmett Forrest (Original Broadway Cast)|
|2005||The Flamingo Kid||Workshop||Performer|
|Spamalot||Broadway||Historian / Not Dead Fred / French Guard / Minstrel / Prince Herbert (Original Broadway Cast)|
|2004||Snoopy! The Musical||Concert||Snoopy|
|Time After Time||Reading||H.G. Wells|
|2003||Elegies: A Song Cycle||Off-Broadway||Original Performer|
|2002||Amour||Broadway||Dance Captain, Advocate (Understudy) / Bertrand (Understudy) / Dusoleil (Understudy) / Newsvendor (Understudy) / Painter (Understudy)|
|Thoroughly Modern Millie||Broadway||Jimmy Smith (Replacement)|
|Prodigal||Off-Broadway||Kane Flannery / Zach Marshall (Original Cast)|
|2001||The Baby and Johnny Project||Off-Broadway||Billy Kostecki|
|Just So||Regional||Kangaroo / Cooking Stove / Bushbuck|
|The 3 Musketeers, One Musical For All||Regional||Planchet (Original American Cast)|
|2000||Jesus Christ Superstar||Broadway||Apostle|
|1998||Footloose||Broadway||Willard Hewitt (Replacement)|
|1997/98||West Side Story||National Tour||Riff|
|1995||The Who's Tommy||Offenbach, Germany||Pinball Lad 1|
Awards and nominations
- U.S. Public Records Index, Vol 1 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- "With NBC's 'Smash,' Christian Borle has arrived - SFGate". sfgate.com. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- "You Just Can't Forget About the Boy!". Columbia Scholastic Press Association. 2004-01-16. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Gimme Jimmy: Christian Borle Is New Juvenile Lead in Bway's Millie April 29", playbill.com, April 29, 2003; "Off-stage, it's known in the theatre community that Christian is romantically linked to Millie herself, Tony Award-winner Sutton Foster."
- "Broadway's Sutton Foster & Christian Borle Engaged" April 2006
- Smith, Liz. "IN NEW YORK", Daily Variety, September 19, 2006, p. 4 wrote: "BROADWAY BABY Sutton Foster, whose most recent triumph is "The Drowsy Chaperone (five Tony wins and a nomination for Sutton), was wide awake Monday when she wed longtime boyfriend Christian Borle of "Spamalot" fame. The couple met and worked together on Sutton's first smash, Thoroughly Modern Millie, which brought her the theater's highest honor. Sutton and Christian recently bought their first home. In fact, the deal was closed the day "Drowsy" opened."
- "Mary Poppins" stars Christian Borle and Laura Michelle Kelly playbillradio.com
- "Star File" Broadway.com
- Gans, Andrew."A Helluva Town: Encores! Launches New Season with On the Town", playbill.com, November 19, 2008
- Jones, Kenneth. "Peter Pan Is Back! Starcatchers Workshop, With Borle, Elrod, Green, Begins in CA", playbill.com, February 13, 2009
- "Laura Michelle Kelly and Christian Borle to Sweep Into Mary Poppins Oct. 12", playbill.com, October 12, 2009
- "Signature Theatre Company: Announcing the Cast of ANGELS IN AMERICA". Signaturetheatre.blogspot.com. 2010-06-22. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Christian Borle Joins SMASH!". Broadwayworld.com. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- May 11, 2011: "NBC Picks Up Whitney Cummings & Emily Spivey Pilots, 'Smash' & 'Prime Suspect'" deadline.com
- "NBC's ‘Smash’ Renewed For Second Season", Deadline.com. March 22, 2012
- "BWW TV: Finding the Characters in PETER AND THE STARCATCHER!". broadwayworld.com. February 25, 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- Hetrick, Adam. "'Peter and the Starcatcher' Lands on Broadway March 28" playbill.com, March 28, 2012
- Audra McDonald, Laura Benanti and Christian Borle Join Cast of NBC's Sound of Music Playbill, Retrieved September 16, 2013
- 'Sound of Music Live!' with Carrie Underwood: NBC announces more cast, releases poster Entertainment Weekly, Retrieved September 16, 2013
- "UPDATE: Neil Meron Confirms Christian Borle Casting for NBC's PETER PAN!". Broadway World. August 7, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- Hetrick, Adam. " 'Something Rotten!' Puts a Shakespearean Twist On Broadway Musical Comedy, Starting Tonight" playbill.com, March 23, 2015
- "Broadway Buzz: Sutton Foster broadway.com
- Lee, LUAINE. "With NBC's 'Smash,' Christian Borle has arrived" kansascity.com, February 20, 2012
- "Sutton Foster Previews Her New ABC Family Show BUNHEADS". We Love Soaps. May 31, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Christian Borle on the Thrill of Jumping from Smash to Peter and the Starcatcher". broadwayworld.com. April 9, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- "Q&A: Christian Borle". timeout.com. April 11, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- Christian Borle at the Internet Broadway Database
- Christian Borle at the Internet Movie Database
- Christian Borle at Playbill Vault