Christian I, Elector of Saxony
Christian of Saxony as a prince, medal, 1574
|Elector of Saxony|
|Reign||11 February 1586 – 25 September 1591|
|Spouse||Sophie of Brandenburg|
|Issue||Christian II, Elector of Saxony
John George I, Elector of Saxony
Sophie, Duchess of Pomerania
Dorothea, Abbess of Quedlinburg
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Augustus I, Elector of Saxony|
|Mother||Anna of Denmark|
29 October 1560|
|Died||25 September 1591
He was the sixth but second surviving son of Elector Augustus of Saxony and Anna of Denmark. The death of his older brother, Alexander (8 October 1565), made him the new heir apparent to the Electorate of Saxony.
Christian succeeded his father when he died, in 1586. His chancellor was Nikolaus Krell. During his reign, the first measurement was made of the Electorate of Saxony by Matthias Oeder. Later, the work of Oeder was continued by Balthasar Zimmermann until 1633 and completed as far as possible.
- Christian II (b. Dresden, 23 September 1583 – d. Dresden, 23 June 1611), successor of his father as Elector.
- John George I (b. Dresden, 5 March 1585 – d. Dresden, 8 October 1656), successor of his brother as Elector.
- Anna Sabine (b. Dresden, 25 January 1586 – d. Dresden, 24 March 1586).
- Sophie (b. Dresden, 29 April 1587 – d. Stettin, 9 December 1635), married on 26 August 1610 to Duke Francis I of Pomerania.
- Elisabeth (b. Dresden, 21 July 1588 – d. Dresden, 4 March 1589).
- Augustus (b. Dresden, 7 September 1589 – d. Naumburg, 26 December 1615), married on 1 January 1612 to Elisabeth of Brünswick-Wolfenbüttel. This marriage was childless.
- Dorothea (b. Dresden, 7 January 1591 – d. Quedlinburg, 17 November 1617), Princess-Abbess of Quedlinburg (1610).
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Christa Schille (1957), "Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) (in German) (Berlin: Duncker & Humblot) 3: 230–231", , (full text online)
- Ilse Schunke: Beitraege zur Politik des Kurfürsten Christian I. v. Sachsen 1586-1591 vornehmlich in den Jahren 1586/89, Munich, 1922 (German)
Christian I, Elector of SaxonyBorn: 29 October 1560 Died: 25 September 1591
|Elector of Saxony