Christian Knorr von Rosenroth
Christian Knorr von Rosenroth (July 15/16, 1636 – May 4, 1689) was a German Christian Hebraist and Christian Cabalist born at Alt-Raudten, today Stara Rudna in Silesia. After having completed his studies in the universities of Wittenberg and Leipzig, he traveled through the Netherlands, France, and England.
On his return he settled at Sulzbach where he became privy counsellor of Christian Augustus, Count Palatine of Sulzbach. He devoted himself to the study of Oriental languages, especially Hebrew, the rudiments of which he had acquired while abroad. Later he became a diligent student of the Kabbalah, in which he believed to find proofs of the doctrines of Christianity.
A longer biography is available in Scholem (1974).
In his opinion the Adam Kadmon of the cabalists is Jesus, and the three highest sefirot represent the Trinity. Rosenroth intended to make a Latin translation of the Zohar and the Tiḳḳunim, and he published as preliminary studies the first two volumes of his Kabbala Denudata, sive Doctrina Hebræorum Transcendentalis et Metaphysica Atque Theologia (Sulzbach, 1677–78). They contain a cabalistic nomenclature, the Idra Rabbah and Idra Zuṭa and the Sifra di-Ẓeni'uta, cabalistic essays of Naphtali Herz ben Jacob Elhanan, etc. Rosenroth published two other volumes under the title Kabbala Denudata (Frankfort-on-the-Main, 1684), containing the Sha'ar ha-Shamayim of Abraham Cohen de Herrera and several of the writings of Isaac Luria. He was created Baron von Rosenroth by the Emperor Leopold I.
- Alchemy of the Word: Cabala of the Renaissance Philip Beitchman pub. State University of New York Press, Albany 1989
- "Knorr von Rosenroth, Christian, Freiherr, 1636-1689". Hymnary.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- History of Messianic Speculation in Israel Abba Hillel Silver 2003 "Naphtali Herz ben Jacob Elhanan (end of 16 a), German Kabbalist and disciple of Luria, author of 'Emek ha-Melek, a treatise on the elements of Kabbala"
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: "Rosenroth, Baron von (Christian Knorr)". Jewish Encyclopedia. 1901–1906.
- Kabbalah Denudata Text of the Kabbalah Denudata, translated to English by Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers
- The Study of Christian Cabala in English: Addenda Addendum C: The Contents of Kabbala denudata with Sources in English, pages 90–99