Christian Louis de Massy
Monaco 17 January 1949
|Spouse(s)||María Marta Quintana y del Carril
Anne Michelle Lütken
|Children||Laetizia de Massy
Brice Gelabale-de Massy
Antoine de Massy
Princess Antoinette, Baroness of Massy
Massy is a first cousin of the reigning Prince Albert II and nephew of Prince Rainier III. Although he was born out of wedlock, his parents married in 1951, thus legitimizing him. He was the second of three siblings. His two sisters are Elisabeth-Anne (born 1947) and Christine Alix (1951–1989).
Monegasque Princely Family
By the time Christian's parents' married in 1951, Rainier III was the Prince of Monaco but was unmarried and had no children. Christian states in his biography, that his mother, at this time, was scheming to stage a coup d'état and place him upon the throne. However, once Rainier married Grace Kelly and had children, the possibility of Christian acceding to the throne became remote.
Christian is often referred to as "Baron de Massy", even during the lifetime of his mother, the original grantee of the title and, since then, without indication that the title was granted hereditarily.
Adjustment to constitution
In 2002 the constitution was adjusted to allow siblings of the reigning Prince and their descendants to succeed to the throne, and Christian was officially included as 11th in line of succession to the Monegasque throne. When Albert succeeded on the death of Rainier, Antoinette was no longer the sibling of the reigning Prince, so she and her children lost their official place in the line of succession, but they and their descendants remain eligible for selection by the Crown Council if the current line fails.
Christian Louis was a pupil at the Institut Le Rosey in Switzerland. He was expelled. From September 1963 until July 1967 he was resident (during terms) at Downside School, Somerset, UK. He attended Cambridge University for a short time, but dropped out.
Marriages and issue
Christian Louis has been married four times.
- Leticia de Massy (Noghès) (b. Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, 16 May 1971) married to Jonkheer Thomas de Brouwer (b. Antwerp, 22 March 1973) - four children:
To Anne Michelle Lütken in Ramatuelle on 11 September 1982. This marriage ended by process of divorce in 1987 - without issue.
To Julia Lakschin in Geneva in April 1992. This marriage ended by process of divorce in 1995 - without issue.
She is married to Ivan Mikhailovich Musatov and has issue.
- Brice Souleyman Gelabale-de Massy (by adoption)(b. Abymes, Guadeloupe, 2 Nov 1987)
- Antoine de Massy (Noghès) (b. 15 January 1997)
Cécile Gelabale is the daughter of Denis Gelabale and his wife Lucie Darius Denon.
|Ancestors of Christian Louis de Massy|
- Palace: My Life in the Royal Family of Monaco by Christian de Massy and Charles Higham. (New York, Atheneum, 1986, ISBN 0-689-11636-5)
- Palace: My Life in the Royal Family of Monaco
- Orange Coast Magazine Apr. 1987-p.157
- The Raven -Summer Term 1967-No.241, p.67 (pub. Downside School)
- darryl. "Person Page 46747". Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Marta del Carril y Aldao (b. Paris, 1921 - d. Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, 12 April 2004) was married (firstly) to Alberto de Alzaga y Moreno by whom she had two sons, Martín and Diego. She married (for a third time) as his second wife José Mexía y Lesseps, 7th Duke of Tamames, 4th Duke of Galisteo and 13th Count of Mora, without issue.
- Genealogy (Spanish)
- Anne Michelle Lütken (1959-2001), formerly Baroness de Massy
- The Dominican
- Permission for change of surname
- Antoine de Massy website.