Christian Parenti at 2009 Tribeca Film Festival
|Residence||Brattleboro, Vermont and New York City|
|Education||PhD in Sociology|
|Alma mater||Buxton School, New School for Social Research, London School of Economics|
|Employer||SIT Graduate Institute|
Christian Parenti is an American investigative journalist and author. His books include: Lockdown America: Police and Prisons in the Age of Crisis (2000), a survey of the rise of the prison industrial complex from the Nixon through Reagan Eras and into the present; The Soft Cage: Surveillance in America From Slavery to the War on Terror (2003), a study of surveillance and control in modern society. The Freedom: Shadows and Hallucinations in Occupied Iraq (2004), is an account of the US occupation of Iraq. In Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence (2011), Parenti links the implications of climate change with social and political unrest in mid-latitude regions of the world. Parenti has also reported from Afghanistan, Iraq, Venezuela, Bolivia, Ivory Coast and China.
Parenti's writing is usually published in The Nation, and he frequently appears on Doug Henwood's radio show, Behind The News, on KPFA in Berkeley, to discuss his work. He also writes for many other publications, including the London Review of Books, Mother Jones and Condé Nast Traveler. He was a visiting fellow at CUNY's Center for Place, Culture and Politics, as well as a Soros Senior Justice Fellow. Parenti has taught at the New College of California and at St. Mary's College in Moraga, California. He is currently a professor at SIT Graduate Institute.
Parenti is the son of Michael Parenti and Susan Parenti, an artist who lives in Vermont. He attended Buxton School in Williamstown, Massachusetts, the New School for Social Research in New York, and the London School of Economics, where he earned a PhD in sociology. He divides his time between Brattleboro, Vermont, and New York City.
- Lockdown America: Police and Prisons in the Age of Crisis (1999) ISBN 1-85984-303-4
- The Soft Cage: Surveillance in America From Slavery to the War on Terror (2003) ISBN 0-465-05485-4
- The Freedom: Shadows and Hallucinations in Occupied Iraq (2004) ISBN 1-56584-948-5
- Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence (2011) ISBN 9781568587295
- Hamm, Theodore. "Inside the Tropic of Chaos: CHRISTIAN PARENTI with Theodore Hamm". The Brooklyn Rail. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- Parenti's website
- List of articles from The Nation
- Index of articles by Christian Parenti
- "Christian Parenti in Afghanistan: Saturday's Elections Were A 'Farce'" interview with Amy Goodman (Democracy Now!, October 12, 2004)
- "Christian Parenti: BP & Changing Energy Economies'" interview with Laura Flanders (GRITtv, July 7, 2010)
- "Back to the Motherland: Cuba in Africa" (Monthly Review, June 2003)
- Audio and transcript of a Christian Parenti speech on the Prison Industrial Complex
- "Homeland Security, Surveillance, and the War in Iraq: An Interview with Christian Parenti," by Lawrence Jones, in the award winning "Homeland Securities" Issue (93) of Radical History Review
- Christian Parenti on Enduring "Zombie Nuke Plants" Nationwide - video report by Democracy Now!
- Christian Parenti on Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change & the New Geography of Violence - video report by Democracy Now!