Ribeiro with the Wales U21 side.
|Full name||Christian Michael Ribeiro|
|Date of birth||14 December 1989|
|Place of birth||Neath, Wales|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Current club||Scunthorpe United|
|2009||→ Stockport County (loan)||7||(0)|
|2010||→ Colchester United (loan)||2||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Carlisle United (loan)||5||(0)|
|2012||→ Scunthorpe United (loan)||10||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:35, 7 May 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Ribeiro was born in Neath, Wales and moved to Gloucestershire at the age of five and attended Marling School in Stroud, Gloucestershire. His father is Portuguese but was born in Wales and his mother is Welsh. He holds both a British and a Portuguese passport.
Ribeiro came through the youth system at Bristol City before earning his first professional contract, lasting two and a half years, with the club in December 2006. His first team debut came nearly two years later in a 2–1 win over Peterborough United in the Football League Cup on 12 August 2008, but was replaced after just 34 minutes after damaging his anterior cruciate ligament, which kept him out for nearly a year. Prior to his injury, he was linked with a move to Premier League side Everton. However he quickly dismissed the rumours stating: "I felt I had a better chance of playing at Bristol City and I was proved right because I got into the first team, it just so happened that was when I got injured."
Having made just one appearance during the 2009–10 season due to another injury sustained while international duty, Ribeiro was allowed to join Football League One side Stockport County on a one-month loan deal with a 24-hour recall clause. He made his Football League and Stockport debut in a 3–1 defeat to Exeter City in November. After a month, he decided to extend his loan period to 9 January 2010. However, at the end of December, manager Gary Johnson opted to exercise the recall clause following an injury crisis and Ribeiro returned at the end of December. He went on loan again, to Colchester United, until another injury ended his spell. Ribeiro made his league debut for Bristol City in a 2–2 draw with Newcastle United on 20 March 2010. In May 2012, Ribeiro was released after learning that his contract would not be renewed.
Ribeiro has been a regular at various youth levels for Wales including taking part in the under-19 squad that played in the Milk Cup in 2007. On 12 November 2007 he was called up for the Wales U21 team for the matches against Bosnia and Herzegovina U21 and France U21, playing in both. He was first called up to the senior squad for the 2010 World Cup qualifier against Russia in September 2009 but did not leave the bench. Ribeiro made his debut for the Wales national football team on 23 May 2010 against Croatia at the Gradski vrt stadium, Osijek.
|Carlisle United (loan)||League One||2011–12||2||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||4||0|
|Stockport County (loan)||League One||2009–10||7||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
|Colchester United (loan)||League One||2009–10||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|Scunthorpe United (loan)||League One||2012–12||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
As of 4 December 2011
- "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Findmypast.com. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "Future looks bright for latest PMA signing Christian Ribeiro". Givemefootball.com. 1 January 2007. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- The horse's mouth
- "Ribeiro earns first City contract". BBC Sport. 14 December 2006. Retrieved 2007-11-21.
- "Bristol City 2–1 Peterborough". BBC Sport. 12 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "Bristol City and Wales defender Christian Ribeiro joins Stockport on loan". gazetteseries.co.uk. 21 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "Ribeiro back to City after injury". BBC Sport. 17 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "Ribeiro has no regrets about staying at Bristol City". gazetteseries.co.uk. 2 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "Stockport 1–3 Exeter". BBC Sport. 21 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "Bristol City's Ribeiro set for Bristol Rovers showdown". Bristol Evening Post. 22 December 2009.
- "Christian returns to Bristol". stockportcounty.com. 29 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- "Recalled Ribeiro eyeing chance to feature for Bristol City". Bristol Evening Post. 31 December 2009.
- "Bristol City 2–2 Newcastle". BBC Sport. 20 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- "Christian Ribeiro to leave Bristol City at the end of his contract". Gazette. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Ribeiro joins permanently". Scunthorpe United F.C. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "Ramsey withdrawn from Wales squad". BBC Sport. 20 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-21.
- "Injured Bale ruled out for Wales". BBC Sport. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-21.
- "Bristol City defender Ribeiro ready for Russia". Bristol Evening Post. 9 September 2009.