Christian Science Society (Cape May, New Jersey)
Christian Science Society
|Location||34 Gurney Street
Cape May, New Jersey
|Architect||Stephen Decatur Button|
|Part of||Cape May Historic District (#70000383)|
The former Christian Science Society, also known as the John B. McCreary House, and, most recently, as The Abbey, is an historic Victorian building located at 34 Gurney Street, corner of Columbia Street, in Cape May, New Jersey. Designed by Philadelphia architect Stephen Decatur Button, it was built for $20,000 between 1869-1870 for State Senator John B. McCreary, a Pennsylvania coal baron.
Due to increasing operating costs and lower demand for the bed and breakfasts, they put the property up for sale in 2006. It was sold early in 2012. The new owners will rent out the whole house rather than individual rooms. Those renting such units are not required to pay the 7-percent room tax levied on inn and hotel clients, which Jay Schatz believes to be a factor in the declining bed and breakfast business.
Christian Science Society, in 1977. Photo: HABS
- Salvini, Emil R. (1995). The Summer City by the Sea: Cape May, New Jersey: An Illustrated History. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press. p. 41. ISBN 9780813522616.
- Tischler, Susan. "The Excursionists: A Ticket to Success". CapeMay.com.
- Landmark Society: tours - Cape May, NJ - May 2009[dead link]
- Wallace, J. (August 21, 2009). "John B. McCreary House (The Abbey), Cape May NJ". 3D Warehouse. Trimble Navigation, Ltd.
- Shatz, Jay and Marianne. "The Abbey Bed & Breakfast Inn". Archived from the original on July 7, 2010.
- Bernstein, Lisa (February 1, 2002). "The Abbey: Gurney Street and Columbia Avenue". CapeMay.com.
- Cape May's B&Bs go on the block - USA TODAY - 2009[dead link]
- Fichter, Jack (March 17, 2012). "Schatz Leaves the Abbey, Military Gear for Sale". Cape May County Herald.
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NJ-855, "John B. McCreary House, 34 Gurney Street, Cape May, Cape May County, NJ", 1 photo, 1 color transparency, 5 measured drawings, 3 data pages, 2 photo caption pages