Christian Union (students)
||This article contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (May 2013)|
- Christian Union (with space) redirects here. For the Dutch political party see ChristianUnion (no space), and for other meanings see Christian Union (disambiguation).
Christian Unions (CUs) are evangelical Christian student groups. They exist in many countries and are often affiliated with either International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (through a national body) or Campus Crusade for Christ. Many Christian Unions are one of the societies affiliated to their universities' students' union. As a broader generic term, Christian union may refer to any Christian society, such as SCM and Fusion groups.
In the United Kingdom
Since their split from the Student Christian Movement in the early twentieth century, most Christian Unions in the United Kingdom are affiliated to the Universities and Colleges Christian Fellowship (UCCF). Some UK Christian Unions have had difficult relationships with the students' union due to their policy of allowing leaders to choose their successors in order, they argue, to ensure a Christian leadership (students' unions often require democratic processes be followed), opinions on issues such as homosexuality, and the requirement that leaders affirm a fixed Doctrinal Basis. Many, but not all, CUs require all members to sign this Doctrinal Basis. The latter includes doctrinal statements that go beyond the historic ecumenical creeds, e.g. recognising the Bible as the sole authority, and belief in penal substitution. A considerable number of Christian students have problems affirming these points, and feel excluded from Christian Unions. This has led to calls for local Christian Unions to change their name to something more specific, e.g. Evangelical Christian Union.
- International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (international organisation)
- Campus Crusade for Christ (similar international organisation, principally American)
- Universities and Colleges Christian Fellowship (UCCF, UK national organisation)
- Cambridge Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (CICCU)
- Oxford Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (OICCU)
- List of Christian Unions in Great Britain
- Other UK national organisations
- UCCF: The Christian Unions - Doctrinal Basis
- United We Stand? A report on current conflicts between Christian Unions and Students’ Unions. Ekklesia, 2006. Pages 4, 7, 9, 12, 14.
- Nile Davies (2012-03-26). "On The Road With Text a Toastie". Wessex Scene Magazine. Student Union, University of Southampton. Archived from the original on 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
Christian Unions and Student Unions
- Student union suspends Christian group Article about Birmingham University Evangelical Christian Union in the Guardian newspaper
- Hull CU vindicated Article from an evangelical publication
- Christian Union returns from ban Warwick University
- Trials of 2004 An account of Christian Union at the University College London - disaffiliation from the Student Union and later re-affiliation
- Christians threaten legal action BBC News article about Exeter University CU, and the ongoing dispute there.
- UCCF Position Paper - Equal Opportunities Policies and Faith-based Student Societies