Christiane Paul (curator)
Christiane Paul is a scholar in the field of digital art and an historian of art and technology. She is Professor of Visual Arts at The New School and author of the seminal book Digital Art. Paul has previously taught in the MFA computer arts department at the School of Visual Arts in New York (1999–2008); the Digital+Media Department of the Rhode Island School of Design (2005–08); the San Francisco Art Institute and the Center of New Media at the University of California at Berkeley (2008).
Paul received both her MA and PhD from the University of Düsseldorf. She writes comprehensively on new media arts and lectures on art and technology. An expanded edition of her book Digital Art was published by Thames & Hudson in 2003.
As Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts at the Whitney Museum of American Art, Paul curated the exhibitions Profiling (2007), Data Dynamics (2001) and the net art selection for the 2002 Whitney Biennial. She has also curated artport, the Whitney Museum’s website devoted to Internet art.
Other recent curatorial work includes: Feedforward - The Angel of History (co-curated with Steve Dietz at the Laboral Center for Art and Industrial Creation, Gijon, Spain, Oct. 2009) and INDAF Digital Art Festival held in Incheon, Korea in August 2009). Also Scalable Relations at the Beall Center for Art and Technology in Irvine, California as well as galleries at UCSD, UCLA and UCSB in 2008-09.
- New Media in the White Cube and Beyond - Curatorial Models for Digital Art (UC Press: Berkeley, CA, December 2008)
- Digital Art, revised and expanded edition (Thames & Hudson: London, UK, June 2008)
- Forthcoming: Information Arts, co-authored with Jack Toolin, in Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, eds. Marcia J. Bates and Mary Niles Maack, Taylor and Francis Group, NY
- Expanding Cinema: The Moving Image in Digital Art in Stuart Comer (ed.), Film and Video Art (Tate Publishing: London, UK, 2009) 2008
- Sustainable Art Practices, essay for the catalogue accompanying the SOS 4.8 festival, Murcia, Spain
- Digital Art / Public Art: Governance and Agency in the Networked Commons in Christa Sommerer, Laurent Mignoneau, Dorothee King (eds.), Interface Cultures - Artistic Aspects of Interaction (Springer Verlag, 2008)
- Not just Art — From Media art to Artware in Christa Sommerer, Laurent Mignoneau, Dorothee King (eds.), Interface Cultures
- Artistic Aspects of Interaction ([transcript] Kultur- und Medientheorie, 2008)
- The Medium of Response, catalogue essay for the exhibition Maquinas y Almas, June 26 - October 13, 2008, Reina Sofia, Madrid. Spain;
- Game Engineering the Image, MIT Technology Review, March / April 8
- Bruce Wands, Art of the Digital Age, London: Thames & Hudson 2006
- Ian Chilvers & John Glaves-Smith, A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art. Oxford University Press 2009
- Lieser, Wolf. Digital Art. Langenscheidt: h.f. ullmann. 2009
- Sarah Cook, Verina Gfader, Beryl Graham and Axel Lapp (eds), A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, Berlin: The Green Box 2010
- http://www.newschool.edu/public-engagement/faculty.aspx?id=30843 The New School for Public Engagement faculty
- Lieser, Wolf. Digital Art. Langenscheidt: h.f. ullmann. 2009 p. 283
- Ian Chilvers & John Glaves-Smith, A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art. Oxford University Press, p. 147
- Bruce Wands, Art of the Digital Age, London: Thames & Hudson 2006, p. 214