Christie (Dead or Alive)
|Dead or Alive character|
Christie in Dead or Alive 5
|First game||Dead or Alive 3 (2001)|
|Created by||Tomonobu Itagaki|
|Voiced by (English)||April Stewart (DOAX2–Dimensions)
Laura Bailey (DOA5)
|Voiced by (Japanese)||Kotono Mitsuishi|
|Portrayed by||Holly Valance (film)|
|Fighting style||Snake Kung Fu|
Christie (クリスティ Kurisuti?) is a player character in the Dead or Alive fighting game series by Team Ninja and Tecmo (Tecmo Koei). Since her official introduction in Dead or Alive 3 in 2001, she is the femme fatale of the series and one of its only true female villain along with some clones of Kasumi. Christie is cold-blooded and sadistic British assassin that was hired by Victor Donovan to kill Helena Douglas and was responsible for the death of Helena's mother, Maria.
In the Dead or Alive video game series, Christie is a cold and heartless professional assassin whose fighting style is shequan (Snake Kung Fu). She is shown talking harshly to others, making fun of them, and taking enjoyment from their suffering. She is completely ruthless when engaged in a mission, employing any means at her disposal to attain her mission objectives (including using her looks, charm, and sex appeal to lure in her victims). She has demonstrated to sociopathically enjoy her job not because of the financial rewards, but for the killings themselves. On occasion, Christie teases or flirts with a person instead of killing them, and she seems quite aware of her attractiveness.
In video games
Christie is an assassin hired by Victor Donovan, a powerful figure in the Dead or Alive Tournament Executive Committee, as a double agent to keep an eye on Fame Douglas, the head of DOATEC. According to the retconning in Dead or Alive: Dimensions, during the events of the original Dead or Alive Christie of working with Bayman, another assassin hired by Donovan, and tasked with making sure the ninja Kasumi would enter the tournament. After Kasumi had defeated and killed Raidou, she is kidnapped by Christie and taken to Donovan for Project Alpha. Bayman, who has just killed Fame Douglas under Donovan's orders, tries to contact Christie as she was leaving, but she ignores his message and flies home without him.
Shortly before the events of Dead or Alive 2, Christie is ordered by Donovan to assassinate Helena Douglas; following her father's death, Helena inherited DOATEC, making her the only person standing in the way of Donovan's take-over. Christie attempts to take out Helena with a sniper rifle while her target is starring in an opera performance, but Helena's mother Maria spots her just in time and takes the bullet that kills her instead. Christie escapes undetected and manages to stay close to the vengenful Helena while posing as the woman's personal assistant. After the tournament, Christie tries to convince Donovan to get rid of Helena permanently, but they have to lay low due to the mistakes made last time; the CIA are looking for Maria's shooter, and Donovan's team still had to find Kasumi's brother Hayate, who they were using for Project Epsilon. In order to lure Hayate in, Christie suggests they create a third tournament and use Genra, a former member of the Kasumi's and Hayate's clan, as bait to get both of them in.
In Dead or Alive 3, Christie's mission is to stop Helena from winning, and in the process prevent her from discovering more about Donovan's secret plans and his anti-Douglas faction. Christie later confronts Helena during the course of the tournament, but before she could do anything, Christie is soon caught by Bayman, who is in the process of seeking revenge on Donovan for trying to have him killed. Christie commands Kasumi α, a clone of Kasumi created by Project Alpha, to defeat Helena; the clone is defeated as well, but both Alpha and Christie manage to escape. Sometime later, Christie kidnaps CIA agent Irene Lew to lure the ninja Ryu Hayabusa away from his friends Hayate and Ayane. Although Christie fulfills her part of the plan, Genra fails and is killed in combat by Ayane.
In Dead or Alive 4, Christie is once again in Donovan's employment acting as his bodyguard, unsuccessfully seeking to prevent the Mugen Tenshin ninja clan (Kasumi, Hayate and Ayane) and their ally Ryu from destroying DOATEC's Tritower HQ. As the tower starts to burn down, Christie eventually finds Helena within the building and finally reveals that it was her who killed Maria (earlier it had been implied that Ayane was the killer). After their fight, Christie manages to escape the destruction of the Tritower, and goes on to continue her work as an assassin away from DOATEC. She later appears on Zack island in Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 to carry out a special assignment for her client.
In Dead or Alive 5, she now serves Donovan with his new organization MIST. She visits a DOATEC rig and confronts Rig, giving hints that she knows about his past. At the bar, she encounters Eliot, whom she met during the last tournament. When Donovan learns that the ninja plan on infiltrating the rig, he orders Christie to increase the security. There, she is confronted by Bayman, who had his suspicions of the place, and who defeats her. When the ninja launch their attack, Christie confronts Kasumi, who has infiltrated the lab to find her brother, but is defeated. It is unknown what exactly happens to Christie afterwards when the rig is destroyed.
Christie's name is a diminutive of Christina. Being 24-years-old as of DOA4 (and 26 as of DOA5), she is the oldest female fighter in the series; standing at 5'10 (177cm), she is also the tallest of them. In her original design, Christie had a heart-shaped face, round eyes, a short and spiky hair style. For her re-vamped design in DOA5, she has been more realistic as her face has been made to look longer and more mature, she has a paler skin tone, and her hair is a little longer and not as spiky. Compared to the other women's outfits in the series, Christie has some of the most revealing, with a lot being tight and having plunging cleavage lines. Her costumes nevertheless include some more modest outfits, such as a black business suit.
In his DOA3 guide, IGN's Anthony Chau wrote: "One of the fastest and probably most elusive of all DOA 3 characters, Christie has a bit more power to her punches than Hitomi, but...even more so than Hitomi, Christie has the quickest hand strikes and combined with a strong combination game, she can rack up 10 hit combos without breaking a sweat. ... Her quickness makes it easy for her to avoid attacks but add in her extremely useful sidestep, and you've got a awfully dangerous character." According to DOA4 guide by GameSpot's Matthew Rorie, "Christie is among the fastest-hitting characters in the game, relying on incredibly rapid strike combos to deal the bulk of her damage. ... All in all, Christie seems to be an incredibly aggressive character." DOA4 guide by GameSpy's David McCutcheon described Christie as "widely regarded as a very tough character when used appropriately. She is fairly diverse and general enough in every stage of combat that [one] can pummel the toughest of opponents with a few mere combos mixed in with timely counters." Similar to Ayane, Christie is unique as in she has a separate set of moves for a reverse stance (back to the opponent). According to Official Xbox Magazine, in DOAX Christie is similar to Lisa, that is not "exactly stellar in any particular category, but she's good at all around play," and "is a little better in the spike and power departments."
In the live-action film DOA: Dead or Alive, Christie is played by Australian actress and model Holly Valance. She is portrayed as being a more approachable and social person then her game counterpart, as well as possessing platinum blond hair and the family name Allen. In the film, Christie is known as a master thief (and an assassin, according to her "profile" image), with a character called Max as her partner-in-crime and on/off boyfriend. She is willing to spend time with the other girls, even when she does not have to; as seen when she follows them to look for Ryu Hayabusa, even though she does not need to, nor does it fit in with her job of robbing Donovan.
Various Dead or Alive merchandise items featuring the character were released, such as several figures by various manufacturers (including Bandai, Epoch and Kotobukiya) and a series of pencil boards by Famitsu.
The character was well received and has been often especially noted for her sex appeal. As such, Christie placed fourth in GameTrailers' "Top Ten Gamer Babes" list in 2007, and was included in UGO Networks's 2010 list of top 50 "videogame hotties" as well as showcased as one of the 20 "sexiest girls from games" by Wirtualna Polska in 2012. She was ranked eighth on the 2012 list of "hottest women in video game movies" by Complex, and included among "hottest video game babes" for both of her incarnations (game and film) by MSN.
Christie came second in GamesRadar's 2008 list of top video game shower scenes and PLAY joked that that two of the top ten best things one could expect to see in Dead or Alive 5 would be her breasts; following the game's release in 2012, Interia.pl included Ayane, Christie and Kasumi ex-aequo among the "sexiest game heroines" of the year. Christie was also featured in the 2010 list of ten "game girls you wouldn't dare to date" by Virgin Media, as well as in the 2008 list of ten "babes who shouldn't meet your mom" by GameDaily, who also included her in their list of "hottest game babes" at 14th place.
- "Christie (Dead or Alive) - IGN". Uk.ign.com. 2006-11-15. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Videogame Babe of the Day: Christie - IGN". Uk.ign.com. 2006-11-15. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "The Babes of DOA - IGN". Uk.ign.com. 2010-03-26. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Official Xbox Magazine Issue 1". Archive.org. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- For example, she can be seen laughing with malicious delight when Helena enters a shocked and distraught state after learning it was Christie who killed her mother all along.
- As seen in Dead or Alive 5 story mode, when Eliot is seen nervously talking to her at a bar. She also flirted with Bass in a later cutscene, saying she was looking for a "real man".
- For example, her default outfit in Dead or Alive 4 does not even have an undershirt and her breasts are only covered by an open leather jacket.
- Chau, Anthony (2001-11-03). "DOA 3 Fighter Of The Day: Christie - IGN". Uk.ign.com. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- Rorie, Matthew (2006-01-13). "Dead or Alive 4 Walkthrough". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- "Dead or Alive 4 - xbox360 - Walkthrough and Guide - Page 21 - GameSpy". Uk.xbox360.gamespy.com. 2006-01-24. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- "Hardcore Gamer Magazine Volume 1 Issue 7". Archive.org. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Official Xbox Magazine Issue 16". Archive.org. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Search ‹ Databases - MyFigureCollection.net (Tsuki-board.net)". MyFigureCollection.net. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Simmonds, Nic (November 26, 2009). "15 hottest girls in gaming". My Gaming. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "GT Countdown Video - Axe's Top Ten Gamer Babes - Part Three #4-#1". GameTrailers. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- UGO Team, Christie - Hottest Girls in Games, UGO.com, October 27, 2011.
- "Christie (Dead or Alive 5) - 20 najseksowniejszych dziewczyn z gier" (in Polish). Gry.wp.pl. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Peter Rubin, The 15 Hottest Women In Video Game Movies, Complex, February 16, 2011.
- "Hottest video game babes". MSN. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- GamesRadar UK (2008-07-07). "Page 3 - The Top 7... shower scenes". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Gavin Mackenzie, Dead Or Alive 5 – Top 10 things you can expect to see, PLAY Magazine, 4 August 2010.
- "Najseksowniejsze bohaterki gier 2012 roku - Gry w INTERIA.PL - zdjęcia i screeny z gier". Gry.interia.pl. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Christie (Dead or Alive) - Bad Date". Virgin Media. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Don't take her to mom: Christie (Dead Or Alive series)". GameDaily. Archived from the original on July 16, 2008. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Top 50 Hottest Game Babes on Trial". GameDaily. Archived from the original on June 3, 2008. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Official website (DOA5)