Christie in Tekken Tag Tournament 2
|First game||Tekken 4 (2001)|
|Voiced by (English)||Xanthe Smith (Tekken 4)
Lisle Wilkerson (Tekken 5-current (grunts), Street Fighter X Tekken)
Nicole Balick (Tekken 6 epilogue)
|Voiced by (Japanese)||Sayaka Kinoshita (Japanese dub of the Tekken film)
Marina Inoue (Street Fighter X Tekken)
|Portrayed by||Kelly Overton|
Christie Monteiro (Japanese: クリスティ・モンテイロ Hepburn: Kurisuti Monteiro?) is a fictional character in the Tekken video game series. Along with her male counterpart, Eddy Gordo, she is one of the first playable characters of Afro-Latino descent in the series as well as in video games in general. Christie is the granddaughter of a legendary capoeira master who taught Eddy the Afro-Brazilian art of capoeira in prison. After his release, Eddy swears an oath to his master to teach his granddaughter, Christie, the art of capoeira. Becoming a prodigy in only two years, Christie mainly involves herself in The King of Iron Fist Tournaments in search for a cure for her grandfather, who has become sick during his incarceration.
Originally she was an effective palette swap (in reality a costume and gender swap) of Eddy in playability, but successive games have given her subtly different timing and a few moves all her own, making her feel like a different character. The character has been well received by many fans, citing her as a strong female character capable of self-defense and able to defeat most men in hand-to-hand combat, but for others criticism has existed as to whether or not her design comprises eye candy[disambiguation needed].
In video games
In the Tekken series, Christie is the granddaughter of a legendary capoeira master who is incarcerated in the same prison cell as Eddy Gordo. Eddy is taught the art of capoeira and after his release, his master requests that he seek and teach his granddaughter capoeira. Finding her soon after his return from The King of Iron Fist Tournament 3, Eddy manages to teach Christie to become a capoeira prodigy in only two years. But soon thereafter, Eddy abruptly vanishes, leaving Christie only with the words, "Those responsible for my father's death must pay." Troubled by his sudden and mysterious disappearance, Christie goes looking for him, her only lead being The King of Iron Fist Tournament 4.
Christie is able to reunite with Eddy during or after the tournament, as the two are together to see Christie's grandfather being released from prison. Because of his incarceration, Christie's grandfather has become a frail old man and is diagnosed with a terminal illness that leaves him only six months to live, although a cure might be possible with technology from the Mishima Zaibatsu. Several days later, Christie learns of The King of Iron Fist Tournament 5. She sees it as a chance to save her grandfather, believing that she may be able to find a cure for him if she possessed the advanced technology from the Mishima Zaibatsu. Christie enters the tournament, but she is defeated and goes home to Brazil. Upon her arrival, she finds out that both her grandfather and Eddy are missing. She learns that her grandfather was transferred to the Mishima Zaibatsu's medical facility. In order to find the exact location of her grandfather, Christie enters The King of Iron Fist Tournament 6. In her and Eddy's epilogues, Christie finds that her grandfather is dead. She breaks down in tears over his grave, and Eddy, who was the one responsible for transferring her grandfather so he could be cured from funds he received by working with Mishima Zaibatsu, drops his Mishima Zaibatsu emblem to the ground, breaking it slightly.
Christie also makes appearances as a playable character in the non-canon Tekken games Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken Revolution, as well as Street Fighter X Tekken via DLC released in July 2012, with her official tag partner, Lei Wulong.
In other media and merchandise
In the 2010 film Tekken, Christie is portrayed by American actress Kelly Overton. This version of Christie is a mixed martial artist instead of a capoeira fighter, has no relationship with Eddy Gordo, and is a love interest of Jin Kazama. In addition to the drastic changes to Christie's storyline and fighting style, her race is also changed; unlike in the video game series where she is of Afro-Latino descent, Christie is Caucasian in the film.
A model portrayed Christie in the "Tekken Maxim Photoshoot" gallery in Maxim. In the 2011 CGI-animated film Tekken: Blood Vengeance, Christie's dossier is briefly seen when Anna Williams opens a file containing dossiers on various persons of interest.
Kotobukiya released a 1/7 scale (9.8 inches tall) Christie action figure in January 2012 as part of their Tekken Tag Tournament 2 storyline. Christie is seen in a dance-like posture and in her usual Tekken costume, except her pants are turned into chaps with her panties clearly visible.
Christie has been featured in several lists of the "hottest girls" of video games. For instance, GameDaily listed her in their "Babes of Tekken" article, stating "When it comes to Tekken, no character moves as gracefully as Christie." She additionally appeared in their "Babes We're Thankful For" article, stating while attractive, "she can break a guy's arms and legs in seconds. We love a girl that stands up for herself." GameDaily also listed her on the "Top 25 Hottest Game Babes" list, ranking her second behind Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider series. Heavy.com listed her at #20 on their list of "The 20 Hottest Video Game Girls". UGO Networks placed Christie at #14 on their list of "Fighting Games' Finest Female Fighters", commenting that she's "totally foxy". In 2010, Christie and Michelle Chang tied at #13/#12 on Complex's list of "The 50 Hottest Women In Video Games" and listed out the similarities between them. In 2012, Complex did a revised list of "The 50 Hottest Women In Video Games", where she ranked at #12. Complex also ranked Christie as "The 17th Best "Tekken" Video Game Character of All Time", commenting "With big eyes and an even bigger... um... smile, Christie has our immediate attention." Christie ranked at #7 at PopCrunch.com's list of "10 Hottest Video Game Babes Ever", called "Tekken’s hottest babe by far." Christie was featured in a "Today's Girl" article by Maxim, where they called her a "barefoot babe" and a "pixilated princess". MSN listed Christie among the "20 hottest women in video game history", calling her an improvement upon Eddy. Joystiq list Christie at #9 on their list of "The top ten girls of PSP", complimenting her dance-like moves. GameFront ranked Christie's breasts as the 22nd best in gaming history. Complex listed her as the 17th best Tekken character, adding "Christie allows any person of any age to play Tekken – just rock the joystick and mash the kick buttons, and she's bound to do something cool."
GamesRadar, on the other hand, has criticized Christie for having nearly exactly the same moveset as Eddy, even though they thought she looked promising. In GamesRadar article for Street Fighter X Tekken, they stated "Supplanting Eddy Gordo as Tekken's featured capoeria expert, Christie brought her J Lo looks to the series in Tekken 4." IGN has criticized Christie for being a button masher character in Tekken 4, but was happy they toned her down in Tekken 5. She was featured in a "Gaming's Most Inappropriate Outfits Ever" by NowGamer, who commented, "Cheapness aside, we can’t get our head around how Christie’s top manages to stay on as she spins and rolls about like Sonic the Hedgehog on speed." In 2012, she was listed as one of the most "ridiculous" Tekken characters by Writtin King of Game Informer, who stated, "I don't know why Christie thought joining (and inevitably losing) a fighting tournament would save her sick grandpa, but the fact that everyone in her life disappears tells us something about her. Mainly, that she's insufferable."
- Chan, Justin (2012-04-06). "Despite Racism in Latino Culture, Afro-Latinas Embrace Their Heritage". Voices of NY. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- Del, John (2008-05-22). "Kelly Overton, Filmmaker". Gothamist. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Tekken Girls - Sexy Girl Pictures - Girls". Maxim. 2006-11-07. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- "Review: Tekken Bishoujo Christie Monteiro". Tomopop. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- Babes of Tekken. GameDaily. Retrieved on 2008-12-26
- Babes We're Thankful For. GameDaily. Retrieved on 2008-12-29
- "Top 25 Hottest Game Babes Gallery and Images - GameDaily". Web.archive.org. 2008-04-08. Archived from the original on 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Author: K. Thor Jensen (2011-01-03). "The 20 Hottest Video Game Girls". HEAVY. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Sitterson, Aubrey (2011-01-14). "Fighting Games' Hottest Women". UGO.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "The 50 Hottest Women In Video Games". Complex. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "12. Christie Monteiro — The 50 Hottest Video Game Characters". Complex. Retrieved 2012-07-20.
- "17. Christie Monteiro - The 20 Best Tekken Video Game Characters of All Time". Complex. 2013-09-03. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "10 Hottest Video Game Babes Ever". Popcrunch.com. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Christie Monteiro". Maxim.com. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- tech & gadgets. "Christie Monteiro - Tekken - The hottest women in video game history". Technology.xin.msn.com. Archived from the original on 2011-01-16. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- Bailey, Steven (2007-01-25). "The top ten girls of PSP". Joystiq. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "The Greatest Boobs In Video Game History (Gallery)". GameFront. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- "17. Christie Monteiro — The 20 Best "Tekken" Video Game Characters of All Time". Complex. 2013-09-03. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2004-09-23. Archived from the original on 2004-09-23. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "Street Fighter X Tekken roster: Meet all 55 characters". GamesRadar. 2012-10-23. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- Jeremy Dunham. "Tekken 5 - PlayStation 2 Review at IGN". Ps2.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Gaming's Most Inappropriate Outfits Ever". NowGamer. 2010-06-28. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- King, Writtin (2012-08-27). "The Most Ridiculous Characters Of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - Features". www.GameInformer.com. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christie Monteiro.|