Christina Davis (poet)
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (January 2010)|
Christina Davis is an American poet.
She graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Oxford. She lived in New York City, where she worked for the Poetry Society of America, Teachers & Writers Collaborative, New York University, and Poets House.
Her poems have appeared in American Poetry Review, Boston Review, Jubilat, New Republic, Pleiades, Paris Review. She was on a " Louder Than Words" panel at the 2009 Association of Writers & Writing Programs.
- "Advertisement for the Mountain", Art Beat News Hour
- Variations on Marina Tsvetaeva's The Poet
- Forth A Raven. Alice James Books. 2006. ISBN 978-1-882295-57-9.
- An Ethic (Nightboat, 2013)
- Christina Davis, Christopher Edgar, ed. (2004). Illuminations: Great Writers on Writing. Carcanet Press Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85754-780-1.
Against a chronic backdrop of decay and dissolve, how do you reconcile a life actively lived, a day and night repeatedly pushed through? To this all too common existential quandary, Christina Davis, in Forth A Raven, her first collection of poems, offers readers double fisted advice. On the one hand, she stresses speech, verbal expression a way of defining the self and the surrounding world. What is named, and thereby articulated, then becomes, through the process of articulation, somehow more approachable, and therefore more manageable, if only in the life of the mind.
Christina Davis’ first book of poems, Forth a Raven, confronts the tenuous nature of existence in a postmodern world where God, language and memory no longer exist as ontological certainties. A high order for a debut poet, Davis nonetheless rises to the occasion of her subject matter, shaping restrained, reticent poems that depict the uncertainty of contemporary existence through a tendency toward understatement and skillful use of white space.
- "Christina Davis". Poems.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- [dead link]
- Huerta, Javier. "AWP: My Would-be Itinerary : Javier Huerta : Harriet the Blog". The Poetry Foundation. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Christina Davis | Directory of Writers | Poets & Writers". Pw.org. 2011-03-08. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Davis Outlines Plans for Poetry Room - HCL News - Harvard College Library". Hcl.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- [dead link]
- "Yaddo Poet Named Witter Bynner Fellow". Yaddo.org. 2009-02-04. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "2009 Witter Bynner Fellows - News Releases (Library of Congress)". Loc.gov. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Christina Davis. "Weekly Poem : Advertisement for the Mountain :". Pbs.org. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Variations on Marina Tsvetaeva's The Poet". The American Poetry Review. May/June 2004.
- "‘I Will Die Of Christina’: A Review Of Christina Davis’s Forth A Raven", Erin Bertram, The Burning Chair
- Jill Neziri (2007). "A Debut Poet Steps into the Postmodern". Jacket 33.
- "Crafting Connection: Christina Davis Reaches Out", Carlin Wragg, Open Loop Press
- "The Gamble of Existence: An Interview with Christina Davis", Patrick Bagley, Alice James Books
- "Video interview with Christina Davis", Library of Congress
- "Website of Christina Davis"
- "Articles written for Boston Review"