|19th President of Brown University|
July 1, 2012
|Preceded by||Ruth Simmons|
|Born||February 6, 1960|
|Residence||Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Swarthmore College
|Website||Office of the President of Brown University|
Christina Hull Paxson (born February 6, 1960) is an economist, public health expert, and the current President of Brown University. Previously, she was the Hughes Rogers Professor of Economics & Public Affairs at Princeton University as well as the Dean of Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
Paxson received her B.A. from Swarthmore College in 1982, and her M.A. and Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1985 and 1987, respectively. In 2000, she founded the Center for Health and Wellbeing at Princeton, an interdisciplinary research center based in the Woodrow Wilson School. She served as the chairman of Princeton’s Economics Department in academic year 2008-09. She was also the founding director of an NIA Center for the Economics and Demography of Aging at Princeton.
Paxson's most recent research focuses on the impact of childhood health and circumstances on economic and health outcomes over the lifecourse; the impact of the AIDS crisis on children's health and education in Africa; and the long run consequences of Hurricane Katrina on the mental and physical health of vulnerable populations. Paxson has been a Senior Editor of The Future of Children, an interdisciplinary journal that works to build a bridge between cutting edge social science research and the policy community.
Selected publications 
- “Stature and Status: Height, Ability, and Labor Market Outcomes” (with Anne Case), Journal of Political Economy, 116(3): 499-532, June 2008.
- “Racial Disparities in Childhood Asthma in the US: Evidence from the National Health Interview Survey, 1997-2003” (with Marla McDaniel and Jane Waldfogel), Pediatrics 117(5): e868-e877, May 2006.
- “Orphans in Africa: Parental Death, Poverty and School Enrollment” (with Anne Case and Joseph Ableidinger), Demography 41(3), pp. 483–508, August 2004.
- “Economic Status and Health in Childhood: The Origins of the Gradient” (with Anne Case and Darren Lubotsky), American Economic Review 92(5), December 2002.
- “Economies of Scale, Household Size, and the Demand for Food” (with Angus Deaton), Journal of Political Economy 106(5): 897-930, October 1998.
- “Intertemporal Choice and Inequality” (with Angus Deaton), Journal of Political Economy 102(3): 437-467, 1994.
- “Consumption and Income Seasonality in Thailand,” Journal of Political Economy 101(1): 39-72, February 1993.
- “Using Weather Variability to Estimate the Response of Savings to Transitory Income in Thailand,” American Economic Review 82(1), March 1992.
- "Biography - Office of the President". Brown University. Retrieved 27 October, 2012.
- "Economist Christina Hull Paxson elected 19th president of Brown University". Brown University. 2 March, 2012. Retrieved 27 October, 2012.
- "The Inauguration of Christina Hull Paxson". Brown University. Retrieved 27 October, 2012.
- Brown University Office of the President
- Christina Paxson Biography from Brown University
- Paxson Curriculum Vitae
|President of Brown University
July 1, 2012–present