Christina Perri in an interview
|Birth name||Christina Judith Perri|
|Born||August 19, 1986|
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop, piano rock, alternative rock, soul|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, guitarist, pianist|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, guitar, bass guitar|
Christina Judith Perri (born August 19, 1986)  is an American singer-songwriter and musician from Philadelphia. Her song "Jar of Hearts" charted after it was featured on the Fox television show So You Think You Can Dance in 2010, and went on to sell over 3 million copies in the United States. A few months later, Perri released her first extended play, The Ocean Way Sessions. After "Jar of Hearts" began to gather a large amount of attention, Perri signed a record deal with Atlantic Records. Her debut album, lovestrong., was released on May 10, 2011. In 2012, she wrote and recorded "A Thousand Years" for the film The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (2011) and it appears on the accompanying soundtrack. The song went on to sell over 4 million copies in the United States, being certified 4x platinum. Her second EP, A Very Merry Perri Christmas, was released in October 2012. Perri's upcoming second studio album, Head or Heart, is due for release in Spring 2014 and its lead single, "Human", was released in November 2013.
Christina grew up in Bensalem, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Philadelphia) with her older brother, Nick Perri, who formerly played guitar with Shinedown, Silvertide, Perry Farrell and Matt Sorum. Her father is from Italy and mother from Poland. She attended Nazareth Academy High School but transferred to Archbishop Ryan High School to graduate as a member of the class of 2004. She taught herself how to play guitar as a 16-year-old by watching a videotape of Shannon Hoon from the group Blind Melon performing on VH1. She frequently sang and acted in musical theatre as a child. Perri cited her brother as a large influence on her music as a teenager, saying that he introduced her to rock music such as Guns N' Roses which would later inspire her music, and that she only learned to play piano and guitar due to her missing hearing music played in the house when he moved away. According to Perri, whenever she played the guitar or piano she would sing, and "all of a sudden these songs would appear".
Perri moved to Los Angeles, California on her 21st birthday. According to Perri, she felt terrified of being over 3000 miles away from her family, saying that she 'cried [her] eyes out every day'. Later that year she married, moved to Florida and began to produce music videos for a living. She divorced 18 months later and moved in to a small apartment on her own to focus entirely on working on music. She moved back to Philadelphia by the end of 2009; it was during this time that she wrote "Jar of Hearts". She later moved back to Los Angeles, waitressing at the Melrose Cafe during the day and recording at night.
Perri's song "Jar of Hearts" was featured on So You Think You Can Dance during the June 30, 2010 show. It was featured in performance by Billy Bell and Kathryn McCormick. Perri's friend Keltie Colleen passed the song to show choreographer Stacey Tookey; Perri and Colleen watched the performance in the audience. Following its exposure on the show, "Jar of Hearts" sold 48,000 digital copies, debuting on the Billboard Hot 100 at #63 and reaching #28 on Billboard's Hot Digital Songs. Within a month, it sold more than 100,000 copies. Then, her music video for "Jar of Hearts" landed on the VH1 top 20 music video countdown.
Shortly after, Perri made her debut on national day time and prime time television, performing the song live on the July 10, 2010 episode of The Early Show on CBS as well as the July 15, 2010 episode of So You Think You Can Dance Perri signed a deal with Atlantic Records on July 21, 2010. Roadrunner Records continue to promote "Jar of Hearts" on the radio. Perri appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on July 29, 2010 and Conan on December 7, 2010 where she played "Jar of Hearts." In addition, "Jar of Hearts" was on the show Pretty Little Liars. "Arms" was also in the ABC Family movie Teen Spirit. Perri recorded an EP named The Ocean Way Sessions that was released on November 9, 2010.
Perri's debut album is titled Lovestrong and was released on May 10, 2011. It follows the release of "Arms", its second single, released on March 15. She appeared on Late Show with David Letterman, performing "Arms". The song was used in the August 26, 2011 episode of The Bold and the Beautiful and has also been used in TV spots for the Fall 2011 season of Investigation Discovery's show Disappeared.
On November 1, 2011, Perri appeared on ABC's Dancing with the Stars Results show to perform her song "Arms". On November 13, 2011, she also performed "Jar of Hearts" on the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing results show. On February 19, she performed "Jar of Hearts" in the pre-fight buildup to Vitali Klitschko vs. Dereck Chisora World Heavyweight Championship boxing contest in Munich.
On April 22, 2012, Perri performed live on Australia's Dancing with the Stars.
Perri also announced in San Juan, Puerto Rico during her Lovestrong Tour that she hoped to be releasing her second studio album in Spring 2013; also in San Juan she sang new song "Run" for the first time, which will be included on the new album. In addition, in late 2012 she opened for Jason Mraz's concert series tour, "Love Is a Four Letter Word" across continental North America in 2012.
On August 1, 2012, she announced via Facebook that she would be releasing a Christmas EP titled A Very Merry Perri Christmas and that the EP would be released on October 16, 2012. On December 12, Perri performed "Something About December", an original Christmas song from this album, on Today. On May 14, 2013, she received the BMI award for her song A Thousand Years at the 61st annual BMI Pop Awards held in Beverly Hills, California.
2013: Head or Heart
In January 2013, Perri announced that she had begun work on her second studio album, the follow-up to Lovestrong Perri began regularly tweeting and posting pictures on Instagram regarding the album's progress using the hashtag "#albumtwo". In February, Perri partnered with the non-profit organization To Write Love On Her Arms on a three-stop tour to raise money for the charity and debuted a brand new song from her second studio album, titled "I Believe" at the shows. On June 21, Perri tweeted announcing that the second album was coming together.
On November 11, 2013 Perri announced that her first single from her new album is called "Human". The song was released on November 18, 2013 on iTunes. Perri performed the song on The Queen Latifah Show the same day. On November 28, Perri announced that her second studio album would be titled Head or Heart and it is due to be released in Spring 2014.
- 2011: Lovestrong
- 2014: Head or Heart
- "Christina Perri". WKRQ. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "Christina Perri interview: Beatweek 2011 Rising Star talks Lovestrong".
- Lopez, Korina (July 13, 2010). "Christina Perri pries open the lid to fame with 'Jar of Hearts'". USA Today. Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- "Interview: Christina Perri – Singer, Songwriter and Producer « Clayton Perry's Interview Exclusives". Claytonperry.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Derakhshani, Tirdad. "Bensalem native Christina Perri's sudden success after 'Jar of Hearts'". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- Edwards, Gavin. "Band of the Week". Rolling Stone.
- Martin, Gavin. "Christina talks about fans, love and therapy - Gavin Martin - Mirror Online". Mirror. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Parker, Lyndsey. "‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Changes Unsigned Singer Christina Perri’s Life". Yahoo Music. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- Drew, Ian. "Singer Christina Perri on Going From Waitress to Charts Winner: "I Can't Stop Smiling"". Us Magazine. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- Palazzolo, Santino (2010-07-09). "Unsigned Cistina Perri dances on the charts". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- Herrera, Monica. "Christina Perri Signs Deal with Atlantic Records". Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- Herrera, Monica (July 21, 2010). "Christina Perri Signs Deal with Atlantic". Billboard. Nielsen Company. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- "The Ocean Way Sessions : Christina Perri". Allmusic. Retrieved December 21, 2010.
- – Christina Perri cariñosa con su público en el CBA – PrimeraHora
- Anuncia Jason Mraz extenso tour con Christina Perri – Terra Mexico
- "Christina Perri sings ‘Something About December’". 2012-12-21. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "Adam Levine and Top Songwriters Honored at 61st Annual BMI Pop Awards". 2013-05-15.
- Carlin, Shannon. "Christina Perri Says New Music Shows Maturity: 'I've Grown Ten Years In Two' - Radio.com News". Radio.com. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Christina Perri Talks New Album, TWLOHA, and More". UpVenue. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Perri, Christina. "Twitter / christinaperri: album two is finally coming ...". Twitter. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Atlantic Records. "Christina Perri Unveils Long Awaited New Single "HUMAN", Acclaimed Singer/Songwriter Set for Release Day Visit to Nationally Syndicated Queen Latifah Show; Single Heralds Massively Anticipated Sophomore Album, Due Spring 2014 - Yahoo Finance". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Twitter / christinaperri: thanksgiving day surprise ...". Twitter. Retrieved 30 November 2013.