|Born||Christine Louise Bleakley
2 February 1979
Newtownards, County Down, Northern Ireland, UK
|Education||Queen's University of Belfast|
|Occupation||Television and radio presenter|
|Height||5 feet 8 inches (1.73 m)|
|Television||The One Show (2007–10)
ITV Specials (2010—)
Text Santa (2011—)
Dancing on Ice (2012–14)
Off The Beaten Track (2013)
This Morning (2013—)
|Partner(s)||Frank Lampard (2009—)|
|Parent(s)||Frederick and Mina Bleakley|
Christine Louise Bleakley (born 2 February 1979) is a Northern Irish broadcaster, best known for her television work with the BBC and ITV, presenting shows including The One Show with Adrian Chiles and Dancing on Ice with Phillip Schofield.
Bleakley was born in Daisy Hill Hospital in Newry, Northern Ireland, to mother Mina and father Frederic and grew up in Newtownards, County Down, Northern Ireland. She has a younger sister, Nicola.
Bleakley started her television career as a runner and then trained to become a floor manager while studying for her A-Levels at Bloomfield Collegiate School in Ballyhackamore, Belfast. She continued to work at BBC NI while studying for a politics degree at Queen's University, Belfast. Bleakley did not complete her degree course, however, instead moving into television work full-time.
Bleakley moved into television with BBC Northern Ireland hosting a wide variety of shows. One of her programmes was called Sky High which saw her flying around Northern Ireland in a helicopter in 2004. A weekly entertainment show called First Stop followed, and she also hosted Would You Pass The 11+ and BBC NI coverage of Children in Need. She also took part in cookery show, Spill the Beans.
Outside Northern Ireland, Bleakley co-hosted the BBC Two's Let Me Entertain You with Brian Conley. In July 2007, she became co-host of The One Show on BBC One, replacing Nadia Sawalha as the female co-host. Bleakley and Adrian Chiles hosted the show for three years. On 20 January 2010, comedian Patrick Kielty was a guest on The One Show, when he revealed Bleakley's mobile number to the camera, to prove that he had her number to celebrate their double birthday celebrations. Within five minutes of Kielty's mistake, Bleakley was bombarded with calls and text messages. She has since changed her number.
When Chiles left the BBC in 2010, there was a great deal of speculation on whether Bleakley would extend her BBC contract or move to ITV. After the speculation, Bleakley also left The One Show to join ITV as the co-host of Daybreak following Adrian Chiles' departure from the BBC to ITV. Questions were raised in Parliament over the size and scale of the proposed £900,000 per year two-year BBC contract. Shortly after she fired her long-term manager and signed with Chiles' management company, on 20 June 2010, the BBC announced that it had withdrawn an offer to extend her current contract. Later that day ITV (owners of GMTV) announced she would again partner Chiles by co-hosting the revamped breakfast show with him, and also hosting other entertainment programmes. On 8 July 2010, the BBC confirmed that Bleakley was not returning to The One Show after the programme returned from the World Cup break on 12 July.
Bleakley moved to ITV less than three hours after the BBC had withdrawn their £1 million offer for her to remain on the channel. She joined ITV on a four-year contract worth £4 million.
|“||I am looking forward to a brand new experience at ITV albeit with an old friend. And it will be exciting to work alongside Peter Fincham again, who kindly gave me a break on The One Show in the first place. I have been torn between working with Adrian Chiles and remaining at the BBC||”|
On 6 September 2010, Bleakley joined Chiles to host ITV Breakfast's Daybreak. The programme suffered mixed reviews and poor viewing figures in its first weeks on air, and Bleakley herself was the subject of criticism. On 18 November 2011, Bleakley and co-presenter Chiles were replaced by Dan Lobb and Kate Garraway who presented on an interim basis. In September 2012, they were replaced by Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly.
In 2011, Bleakley became Phillip Schofield's co-presenter on Dancing on Ice, replacing Holly Willoughby who joined The Voice UK. She presented three series of the show between 2011 and 2014 when it came to an end after the ninth series on 9 March 2014. For each episode of Dancing on Ice, Bleakley was paid £24,163. When she was hosting the show, she was the highest paid female television star, earning around £400 per minute.
On 1 November 2013, Bleakley began presenting a series called Off The Beaten Track . On 3 March 2014, the show was axed, despite good viewing figures. Of this announcement, a spokesperson for the channel said "We're looking at several other projects to work on with Christine, who remains a big part of the ITV presenting line-up".
On 23 December 2014, Bleakley and Michael Scott co-hosted one-off documentary Roman Britain From the Air. On 27 December 2014, Bleakley hosted the one-off magic special Darcy Oake: Edge of Reality. and acted as Oake's assistant in two illusions, first being made to appear on a large motorcycle and then being sawed in half in Oake's Clearly Impossible sawing illusion.
Strictly Come Dancing
In 2008, Bleakley took part in the sixth series of Strictly Come Dancing, in which she was partnered with professional dancer Matthew Cutler. Bleakley and Cutler were eliminated on 30 November 2008, leaving the competition in 5th place, after Rachel Stevens and her partner Vincent Simone beat them in the dance-off.
|Craig Revel Horwood||Len Goodman||Arlene Phillips||Bruno Tonioli||Total|
|2||Foxtrot / "The Way You Look Tonight"||6||6||8||7||27||Safe|
|4||Quickstep / "She's So Lovely"||6||6||7||7||26||Safe|
|5||Samba / "Baila, Baila Conmigo"||7||7||8||8||30||Safe|
|6||Paso Doble / "Fighter"||3||6||7||6||22||Safe|
|7||American Smooth / "Singin' in the Rain"||7||7||8||7||29||Safe|
|8||Jive / "Jailhouse Rock"||7||8||8||8||31||Safe|
|9||Waltz / "See the Day"||8||8||9||9||34||Safe|
|10||Cha Cha Cha / "I Like It Like That"||6||6||8||7||27||Safe|
|11||Tango / "Addicted to Love"||6||7||8||7||28||N/A|
|11||Salsa / "Cosmic Girl"||7||7||8||8||30||Eliminated|
On 20 March 2010, Bleakley made her stand-up comedy debut when she took part in Channel 4's Comedy Gala, a benefit show in aid of Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital, filmed live at the O2 Arena in London.
In August 2014, Bleakley was announced as the new brand ambassador for Soft & Gentle anti-perspirant.
Bleakley dated Belfast Giants star Curtis Bowen as she started her TV career. After breaking up with Bowen in 2003, Bleakley dated Dublin restaurant owner Christian Stokes to whom she got engaged in 2004. She was then in a relationship with entrepreneur Mark Beirne for 3 years until they split in January 2009.
In 2010, Bleakley did a water skiing challenge, raising £1,321,623 for Sport Relief. In the same year, her co-host on The One Show, Adrian Chiles grew a beard, which was later shaved off by Bleakley for Sport Relief, raising £60,000 in the process.
Bleakley also supports the Text Santa appeal, hosting their telethon since 2011.
|2006-2007||Let Me Entertain You||Co-presenter||With Brian Conley|
|2007-2010||The One Show||Co-presenter||With Adrian Chiles|
|2010-2011||Daybreak||Co-presenter||With Adrian Chiles and Dan Lobb|
|2010||Simply Red: For the Last Time||Presenter|
|2011||Duran Duran: One Night Only||Presenter|
|National Movie Awards||Presenter||1 episode|
|Westlife: For the Last Time||Presenter|
|2011—||Text Santa||Co-presenter||With Phillip Schofield and Paddy McGuinness|
|2012-2014||Dancing on Ice||Co-presenter||With Phillip Schofield|
|2012||This is Lionel Richie||Presenter|
|That Dog Can Dance||Presenter||One-off special|
|2013—||This Morning||Stand-in presenter||Regular fill-in presenter|
|2013||Off The Beaten Track||Presenter||Primetime documentary series|
|2014||Michael Flatley: A Night to Remember||Presenter|
|Spandau Ballet: True Gold||Presenter|
|Roman Britain From the Air||Co-presenter||With Dr. Michael Scott|
|Darcy Oake: Edge of Reality||Co-presenter||With Darcy Oake|
|2015||Wild Atlantic Way (working title)||Presenter||Primetime documentary series|
- Guest TV appearances
- Shooting Stars (26 August 2009) - Panellist
- Would I Lie to You? (7 September 2009) - Panellist
- Chris Moyles' Quiz Night (26 February 2010, 19 August 2011) - Panellist
- Harry Hill's TV Burp (16 October 2010) - "The Body" from The Cube
- Celebrity Juice (3 March 2011, 9 February 2012, 26 September 2013) - Panellist
- A League of Their Own (15 April 2011, 25 May 2012) - Panellist
- Loose Women (4 January, 21 June 2012, 8 November 2013, 7 March 2014) - Guest
- The Alan Titchmarsh Show (17 January 2012, 21 January, 1 November 2013) - Guest
- Outnumbered: Sport Relief Special (23 March 2012) - Herself
- Britain Unzipped (1 May 2012) - Guest
- Mad Mad World (21 July 2012) - Panellist
- 12 Again (9 November 2012) - Guest
- Alan Carr's New Year Specstacular (2012) - Guest
- Lorraine (4 March 2013) - Guest
- I Love My Country (10 August 2013) - Guest
- Tricked (10 October 2013) - Participant,
- The Jonathan Ross Show (19 October 2013) - Guest
- Sunday Side Up (24 November 2013) - Guest
- Backchat (18 December 2013) - Guest
- All Star Family Fortunes (29 December 2013) - Contestant
- Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (15, 22 March 2014) - Guest star
- Through the Keyhole (20 September 2014) - Panellist
- Celebrity Squares (1 October 2014) - Guest
- The Keith Lemon Sketch Show (19 February 2015) - Guest
|1998||Divorcing Jack||Newsreader||Voice only|
|2010||A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures||Sandra||Voice only|
|Belfast Citybeat||Newsreader||With Stephen Nolan|
|2015||Sunday Lunch||Presenter||Sundays, 3 to 4pm|
- "Christine Bleakley joins GMTV". GMTV. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- Daybreak Press Pack ITV, 31 August 2010
- How old are you Christine Bleakley? One Show star claims to be 29 but her birth certificate says she's 30 Mail Online, 15 September 2009
- "Meet Christine Bleakley's little sister". Belfast Telegraph. 5 June 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Get work in NI – Real lives, real jobs". BBC Northern Ireland. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- Would You Pass The 11+ BBC Northern Ireland, December 2004
- Wild programmes Wild Rover Productions
- Christine Bleakley rejoins Adrian Chiles on GMTV, but could it all go very badly wrong? Belfast Telegraph, 22 June 2010
- How Christine (31) ruined Grainne's (36) hopes for the GMTV hot seat Herald.ie, 22 June 2010
- "Christine Bleakley's profile". The One Show. BBC. Retrieved 24 November 2009.
- "Bad call, Patrick! TV host Kielty accidentally gives out Christine Bleakley's number during an appearance on The One Show". Daily Mail (London).
- "Bleakley 'torn' over TV offers". BBC News. 13 June 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "BBC withdraws Christine Bleakley TV offer". BBC News. 21 June 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Christine Bleakley will not return to The One Show". BBC News. 8 July 2010. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- Daybreak fails to ignite early morning ratings as it loses viewers battle to BBC Breakfast Mail Online, 8 September 2010
- Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley's Daybreak loses viewers Belfast Telegraph, 16 September 2010
- Daybreak: What has gone wrong for Chiles and Bleakely dream team? Belfast Telegraph, 28 October 2010
- Methven, Nicola (19 November 2011). "Christine Bleakley and Adrian Chiles axed as hosts of ITV flop Daybreak". Daily Record.
- Simply Red: For The Last Time ITV Press Centre, 15 September 2010
- Duran Duran: For One Night Only ITV Press Centre, 10 March 2011
- Sheridan, Emily (28 December 2012). "Another ratings disaster for Simon Cowell as his 'X Factor for dogs' only gets 3.7million viewers". Daily Mail (London).
- Percival, Ashley (18 November 2011). "Holly Willoughby quits Dancing on Ice for The Voice". AOL. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Prosser, Caroline (9 March 2014). "Their first and last! Phillip Schofield and Christine Bleakley debut their skating skills as Dancing on Ice bows out". Daily Mail (London).
- The King's Speech wins three National Movie Awards BBC News, 11 May 2011
- Davison, Rebecca (2 March 2014). "Christine Bleakley's show Off The Beaten Track will not be recommissioned just as Dancing On Ice is set to end". Daily Mail (London).
- Darcy Oake: Edge of Reality, itv.com.
- "Strictly celebrities are unveiled". BBC News. 28 August 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- TV's Bleakley performs last tango BBC News, 30 November 2008]
- Christine Bleakley moving to ITV – joining Adrian Chiles on the GMTV sofa Belfast Telegraph, 21 June 2010
- Hear the one about Bleakley's funny turn The Sun, 30 March 2010
- Stars turn out for charity comedy gala Newsbeat, BBC, 31 March 2010
- Cosmo’s Ultimate Women of the Year Awards Cosmopolitan, 3 November 2010
- Christine Bleakley crowned top TV host despite Daybreak's flagging ratings Telegraph, 3 November 2010
- Looks like Mark wasn't the one! Sunday Life, 1 February 2009
- One Show co-stars' friendship back under the spotlight as Christine Bleakley is ditched by her boyfriend Mail Online, 30 January 2009
- 'Christine Bleakley is brainy, funny and very pretty, and so way too good for a Chelsea player,' I told Frank Lampard Mail Online, 23 November 2009
- Who's that girl Irish Independent, 31 July 2010
- Christine Bleakley and Frank Lampard get engaged in L.A. after enjoying romantic trip to Las Vegas, MailOnline, 15 June 2011
- CineMagic[dead link]
- Sawer, Patrick (30 January 2010). "Adrian Chiles's beard is sign of new trend". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- Shooting Stars BBC Two
- Would I Lie To You? BBC One